Mark Albert (1 Viewer)

Jamie

Nitro Member
More importantly then the records set, the winners, the lawsuit, etc. How is Mark Albert?

not good. a major amount of his body got 2nd and 3rd degree burns. i was told no broken bones or internal injuries, but the pain and healing will be a while. he definatly need everyone to say a prayer for him.
kind of shitty that nhra puts stuff about k.j. and northrop crashing on their site , but nothing about mark.

TAD- he drives the advanced auto parts a-fuel car...
How did he get burned so bad is my question???
Never skimp on a firesuit or any other safety device, no matter what the class... Gasoline burns hot as well you know...
I'm not insinuating he skimped at all... Just don't know how he got hurt so bad...

It sounds to me like the car got turned around backwards.

I know it's not exactly like it, but it sounds similar to what happened to Shelly Payne back in Sonoma a few ago, when the car (engine area) was on fire, and going backwards. She got burnt pretty bad in that mess also.

TAD- he drives the advanced auto parts a-fuel car...
How did he get burned so bad is my question???
Never skimp on a firesuit or any other safety device, no matter what the class... Gasoline burns hot as well you know...
I'm not insinuating he skimped at all... Just don't know how he got hurt so bad...

The car was on fire for more than a few seconds. From what I heard at the track yesterday, the biggest problem was that he had inhaled some flames.

Jim

It sounds to me like the car got turned around backwards.

I know it's not exactly like it, but it sounds similar to what happened to Shelly Payne back in Sonoma a few ago, when the car (engine area) was on fire, and going backwards. She got burnt pretty bad in that mess also.

I was in the tower and everything happened past the finish line, so it was hard to see. When they brought the car by later, the paint on the body panels in front of the driver compartment was pretty well burned.

Jim

the car hit the wall right at the finish line and the back half of the car broke off and pulled the main fuel line appart. the front half turned around backwards and slid on fire through the shutdown area engulfed in flames. mark was severely burned . i was told he has no broken bones or internal injuries except his throat and lungs recieved burns from the heat. all the paint was burnt off the panels all the way to the front wheels. it was not a pretty sight.

Mark does not drive a A Fuel car And he did not hit the wall head on . Mark hit the wall With the left rear and impacted the wall very hard.ONE OF THE WORST FIRES i HAVE SEEN. Thank GOD Mark is still with us he needs our prayers.:(

Mark does not drive a A Fuel car And he did not hit the wall head on . Mark hit the wall With the left rear and impacted the wall very hard.ONE OF THE WORST FIRES i HAVE SEEN. Thank GOD Mark is still with us he needs our prayers.:(

Thanks for the correction Mike. We were told he hit head on but your description makes a lot more sense given the way the car was damaged.

Jim

First of all, it was an alcohol fire, tough to put out.

Second - dragster drivers do not wear the booties and heavier gloves that Funny Car drivers wear - maybe that would have helped since his hands and feet were major burn areas.

Third, dragster drivers do not have the air system required of Funny Car drivers. That definitely would have helped with the inhaled heat burns, which are the most dangerous of his injuries.

Maybe it's time for the safety folks to review the fire safety rules for dragsters - just because the engine is in the rear doesn't make them flameproof.

All of us at Follow a Dream Racing would like to wish Mark a speedy and complete recovery from this unfortunate accident. Our prayer's and thought's are with Mark, his family, and crew. Mike is correct he needs all our prayers!

Maybe it's time for the safety folks to review the fire safety rules for dragsters - just because the engine is in the rear doesn't make them flameproof.[/QUOTE]

That was the point I was trying to make... SFI-20 should be mandatory for all classes... Fire is Fire PERIOD... Alot of pro stock guys have thier helmet shields cut-out or do not use one... JMO
Sorry Mike, your right about BAD... sorry;)
Wishing Mark a clean and smooth recovery...
As for anyone buying new safety equipment... THINK of the worst before you purchase...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back