Al Olster - "One Step Beyond" SS Racer (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
I regret to inform you of the passing of Albert (Al) Olster, from Fairfield, NJ. Al raced a 63 Plymouth and later a 69 Camaro, both cars being "jenkins Prepared".

He died on Saturday, December 17, 2011 at St. Joseph's Wayne Hospital at 7am from complications of Diabetes. He had been battling health problems for the last few years. On December 9, he was admitted to the hospital because his blood pressure was so low, his dialysis port clogged and he was unable to receive diayalis.

When they got him up this past Saturday for dialysis, he suffered a major heart attack and he was gone. I will post his Obit below. Please take a moment to share your condolences. thoughts. memories with Donna and their family in the Guest Book. You will see a tab (link) for the Guest Book once you are in the Obit. Donna is planning to establish a Scholarship Fund in Al's name and I will pass along that information when it is available for those interested Thanks. Jackee.

http://obits.nj.com/obituaries/starledger/obituary.aspx?n=albert-olster-

You may contact me for Donna's contact information.

Yes, he was Mitch. Anyone who knew Al, understands that he could be difficult at times. You had to care enough to see beyond that sometimes gruff exterior to understand. He and Donna were among my very first friends in drag racing, from back at Island Dragway, before anyone went on to National recognition and titles. He is the first of that group to pass. I guess it's true. We ARE getting old. Al was only 67 years old, but he had been battling diabetes and its complications for several years. Those of us who loved him, pray he has found peace and healing.

A short Olster story. I don't remember the year, but I do recall that NHRA had failed to reach a sponsorship agreement with, I believe, Hurst, for funding for the Safety Safari vehicles. PLease don't torch me if it wasn't Hurst, but someone else. The result was that there were no "official" safety vehicles or equipment at the early races that year.

Anyway, when we got the Gatornationals that year there was Al, working the top end in a safety capacity wearing nothing more protective than a standard fireman's coat and helmet. Yet there he was, ready and willing to jump into the biggest conflagration imaginable to rescue an in-trouble driver -- and he had to do it more than once that weekend. Yeah, he was brave, but what concerned him was the safety of his fellow competitors.

He was quite a guy.

Jon Asher

Yeah, he was Jon. Under whatever exterior anyone at any time may have seen, was an ok guy who loved drag racing. He really suffered health wise over the past few years. And depression. We pray that he has found happiness and peace at last. Thanks for sharing. Maybe you'll sign his Guest Book? It will mean a lot to Donna.

Hope you guys are doing well.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back