Lovin' ESPN CLASSICS (1 Viewer)

Cymon Sez

Nitro Member
I hope this program stays on for a long time to come. :)

Its great seeing the old reruns of these races...wouldn't it be great if you could get the entire seasons on DVD? ;)

Too bad they couldn't get of the old footage from Diamond P from the TNN Network days.:(

I believe NHRA is now in possession of all the Diamond P stuff, going back to when it started in 1975. Last I heard, none of it is for sale and they still aren't sure what to do with it all.

I'd like to see some of the races from the 1970's. Diamond P, ABC and NBC.

Are they actually repeating some of the races now? My DVR didn't record yesterday's show, nor did it show it would record today's. If it's not a "new episode" so to speak, it won't record it. Just wondering.

I'd like to see some of the races from the 1970's. Diamond P, ABC and NBC.
It`d be nice to see footage from the `80s, that`s for sure. Still, it`s been good seeing what they`ve shown lately...plenty of Cory wins and lots of Blaine Johnson.

Are they actually repeating some of the races now? My DVR didn't record yesterday's show, nor did it show it would record today's. If it's not a "new episode" so to speak, it won't record it. Just wondering.

Check to see what the record options are it might be set for first run only. I would change it to record all showings.

The race today was the '96 Sonoma autolite nationals. Sat is set for the US nats from 2002 '04 '06 I think. The Glendora brain trust would be smart to put the entire season together and sell them that way $$$$$$$. Personally I dont think they are smart enough to think that way. :D

I have all the races that were on TNN (American Sports Calvacade) NHRA series and the ESPN series (IHRA) from 1985-maybe 1991-93 on VHS. My wife complains sometimes about the boxes taking room in the crawl space...
I viewed some of them recently....
Man...it's like flashback...Bill Mullins first race w/ high gear only...Bernstein w/ 3 mags...Force when he did not have a win yet...J Collins...Billy Meyer...Pulde/Hamby ruling funny car...Jim Head and his high gear only...Gene Snow..etc..Candies/Hughes...Glidden/W Johnson/B Leal/B Allen..
Made me feel like 16 years old again...even the commercials..
I miss those days....

That is pretty cool Terry, did those old show have the old Super Stock cars?

No Super Stock cars...All I haveon VHS is the fuel classes and an occasional alcohol showdown.

Yeah, usually, all they featured the "pro" classes on ASC. Just the mention of it brings back warm fuzzies. :)

Terry. those VHS tapes aren't gonna last forever. I'd be gentle with them if I were you. You've got a gold mine there. I'd seriously consider getting a DVD-recorder, plug your VCR into it, and start moving your collection to what they call "archival" quality DVD discs. befire the tapes become brittle and start breaking. I'm doing that now with my tape collection, and sadly, some haven't survived.

Last edited:
You guys in america are so lucky not only do you guys live in the home of drag racing but you guys get to see all the old races on tv

David...Thanks for the advice...I will do that, just the other day I put in a tape, 86 Summernats I think and re-lived the Garlits blowover...Same tape was when Gwynn was running hard in Waco and was beaten in the Final on a holeshot to Garlits. Bernstein/Oswald runs were always tight as many others.
One final (??) was McEwen beating John Collins...man those brought back too many memories...

Yeah, usually, all they featured the "pro" classes on ASC. Just the mention of it brings back warm fuzzies. :)

Terry. those VHS tapes aren't gonna last forever. I'd be gentle with them if I were you. You've got a gold mine there. I'd seriously consider getting a DVD-recorder, plug your VCR into it, and start moving your collection to what they call "archival" quality DVD discs. befire the tapes become brittle and start breaking. I'm doing that now with my tape collection, and sadly, some haven't survived.

I've got the whole Diamond P Drag Racing series from 86 thru 97 along with a few other Diamond P videos, and have them all copied onto DVDs now. Someday when I find the time, I'll put all the races from 99-present onto DVDs.

BTW, if anyone has the Drag Racing 98, and 99 videos (2 tapes for each year), would anybody be interested in letting me borrow them in exchange for the entire series on DVD?

Peace,
Mike

8 hours of coverage today... All shows from the US Nats... :D Starts at the top of the hour... Or 9AM PST
ENJOY :)

I remember back in the 90's Diamond P used to sell race tapes of any event they had for like $29.95. I have the 82 U.S. Natls and the '81 Gators. Funny thing is those old tapes have the commercials and everything.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back