Looks Like Another Drag Strip Is Closing (1 Viewer)

The Houston event this year was a three day race, or at least it would have been if Mother Nature had cooperated!
Jeff Arend said on the Comp Plus power hour that NHRA cut it to a two day event the week of the race and cut the payouts something like 20 percent.

a lot of tracks that were "out of town" when built 20 or more years ago are now part of the communities they serve. You can't blame the owners for wanting to make a buck. The sad part is they aren't being replaced down the road somewhere. It's hard for any track to make a living off just drag racing with all the costs of insurance, taxes, and upkeep. The future is to build where there is already a racing presence like a Nascar track or road course. Places like Circuit of the Americas that can host multi type events. I understand they are going to have a no prep drag race there. They have plenty of room to add a real dragstrip if the economics are there.

Jeff Arend said on the Comp Plus power hour that NHRA cut it to a two day event the week of the race and cut the payouts something like 20 percent.
Maybe he was talking about 2020 when it was cut to a 2 day event. I was out there Friday this year so definitely was a three day event this year.

Agreed, we better get used to it. And the fans that complain about these sales, would do the very same thing given the option. I don't care what they say when they post here.

A track GM told me a few years ago that it is really hard to continue to operate a drag strip when the land it sits on is worth more than the entire racing operation. That's why it is so hard for some track owners to sell to a buyer who wants to keep the track open. It is really hard for someone to purchase the track at market prices for the land and then be able to pay for it from the revenue of a drag strip. At the same time, the seller wants to get as much as possible for the land and not many can leave a lot of money on the table to sell to someone who wants to keep it as a drag strip. After all, if a seller did sell at a reduced price, what would prevent the new owner from selling it two years later to a developer for market prices.

PBIR is owned by IHRA isn't it? Their ownership has proven that they don't know how to promote profitable larger spectator events. Yes, I know they have temporarily inherited the "Winter Warmup". But with IHRA not knowing if NHRA will be returning to Pomona to start 2022 and eliminate PBIR's potential profit making on the nitro show plus needing all the nitro teams to make the long tow to Miami is a big gamble. Remember, NHRA put the handcuffs on the nitro teams decades ago to stop them from competing in other sanction's events. The potential PBIR sale is really bad news for S. Florida racers and fans. Since IHRA and PBIR is effectively sportsman racing only and the track's closest competition for weekly racers is the Immokalee Airport track with it's lower operating costs, IHRA selling to the highest bidder unfortunately, makes sense to their bottom line.

The folks who run PBIR don't have a clue how to run a drag race. It's a real nice facility but yet the local racers go to Orlando or Bradenton instead of going to their local track because of all the bullshit. The current track manager thinks he's hot shit as all he does is ride around on a golf cart profiling instead of actually running the event.

The last time I saw any kind of a crowd at the track was pre-covid when Street Outlaws filmed a TV show there.

The folks who run PBIR don't have a clue how to run a drag race. It's a real nice facility but yet the local racers go to Orlando or Bradenton instead of going to their local track because of all the bullshit. The current track manager thinks he's hot shit as all he does is ride around on a golf cart profiling instead of actually running the event.

The last time I saw any kind of a crowd at the track was pre-covid when Street Outlaws filmed a TV show there.
Hate to say this, but (other than Scott Paddock) sounds like you are describing Rt 66. Scott did his best but the corporation (ISC) pretty much kept that place a ghost town....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back