Lions Unique Perpetual Motion Promotion (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
The start of the Fuel Dragster Season of 1969 at the worlds greatest drag strip, Lions Drag Strip, promoter C.J. Hart came up with a very unique promotion. Called the 1969 Inaugural Fuel meet.

The headline promoting the race was, "A Perpetual Motion Fuel Dragster Race Loaded With The Sports Top Talent."

*Here's how Lions will run it's inaugural Fuel Dragster program. All Fuel Dragsters will run in pairs at 7:00pm. (Tuning runs allowed all day) The 1st Low et. cars, win, lose, or red light will come back and enter eliminations at 8:00pm. Not so with the next Low et. cars down the line,they miss the program. But they do get $25.00 to help defray fuel costs. The 4 winners of the 8:00pm first round enter the "Championship bracket. They will race in the semi-finals. The semi-finals will be at 9:00pm

The 4-car losers from the 8:00pm 1st round, instead of going on the trailer, come back for $100 to win or $100 to lose side by side races.The 2 losers left over from the 9:00pm. 4-car "Championship bracket plus the 2 winners and losers from the 9:00pm match races, these cars are still in the show, still going strong for $100 to win or lose. At 10:15pm. C.J. Hart's Perpetual Motion show has the Championship Bracket winner earning $750-to-win, $400 for the runner-up. It gives 6 other cars 2 more chances to go home with $100 per round, win or lose.

42 Top Fuel Dragsters entered the early season race at Lions, 42!!!

The Winner
Joe Lee in the Abbott & Lee "Elephant Hunter" defeated Jim Nicoll driving the "Der Weinerschnitzel" digger.

Admission was $2.50
Pit Pass-$1.00.
So it cost dad and I $7.00 dollars to get in with pit passes.

Top Fuel@Lions

People forget that we used to have to buy a pit pass. 50 cents at San Fernando.... Boy that was the best $ you could spend. I still say today that walking thru the pits is the greatest cars show in the world! I would always buy a pit pass.
War story: I had a beater 1958 Ford that I bought in the Air Force. Used to drive it to Lions. One night the clutch linkage broke, so had to drive from Lions to Glendale stuck in 3rd gear. arghhhh

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back