Let's get this straight (2 Viewers)

jimbo

Nitro Member
Let's see, Nhra and VP both say they have enough nitro on hand to get through Norwalk and more on the way from China? to then get them through Indy.
One would assume a good businessman would have a firm price for this product that he identifies as his to sell. But, as we have seen the past few days VP has said because of supply and demand we are increasing our price to the racers. Besides the racers voicing outrage NHRA should be at the front of the line leading the charge to the courts with many antitrust allegations as they can. But that would take some guts on their (NHRA) part which they have not shown since this whole debacle has come down. They created this mess by selling the exclusive right to VP in the first place, for what? Thousands, hundreds of thousands or above. At the very least they should take whatever they received and apply it to the increase the racers have incurred. This has turned into a real boondagle and one that is going to get a whole lot messier. Also by the way, where is PRO's take on the matter
Heads should roll and someone should hang!

With the exception of a handfull of members, PRO has no sack. Period.

Late...............Mitch

PRO reminds me of the big guy in "Of Mice and Men"..........a little slow and has no idea how strong he really is :)

I have a "What If". What would happen if ALL of the Nitro teams who showed up at the next NHRA National Event just refused to use VP Nitro and decided they would use Don Schumacher's Nitro? What would NHRA do? Would NHRA not allow anybody to make a run? Would they DQ everybody? What would NHRA tell the fans who showed up to watch Fuel Cars? Let's see, all the Fuel cars are parked, the ticket buying fans would go ape-sh*t, the people watching the broadcast would freak, and the NHRA would have one hell of a time trying to figure out what to tell the fans. If the fuel teams would ALL get together and ALL agree to do this, things would change in a big hurry. The Nitro problem would become old news.

Thoughts?

Dave

I have a "What If". What would happen if ALL of the Nitro teams who showed up at the next NHRA National Event just refused to use VP Nitro and decided they would use Don Schumacher's Nitro? What would NHRA do? Would NHRA not allow anybody to make a run? Would they DQ everybody? What would NHRA tell the fans who showed up to watch Fuel Cars? Let's see, all the Fuel cars are parked, the ticket buying fans would go ape-sh*t, the people watching the broadcast would freak, and the NHRA would have one hell of a time trying to figure out what to tell the fans. If the fuel teams would ALL get together and ALL agree to do this, things would change in a big hurry. The Nitro problem would become old news.

Thoughts?

Dave

The key is getting all of them to do it, as you said. I can think of a few teams that would have no problem doing it this way, and I can think of teams that might never go against what NHRA says. IDK any PRO members personally, but it seems as if there are a few members who won't stand up, and tell Graham Light where to go and how to get there. Maybe Larry Morgan would make the ideal PRO president.....'you can't fix stupid'

What would happen if ALL of the Nitro teams who showed up at the next NHRA National Event just refused to use VP Nitro and decided they would use Don Schumacher's Nitro? What would NHRA do? Would NHRA not allow anybody to make a run? Would they DQ everybody?

The suits at NHRA would see nothing but $$$ as this would be a way for them to impose a $100K (or more) fine on each team involved.

You know they can't see past the end of their nose when it comes to the impact on the sport, participants, or spectators.

The suits at NHRA would see nothing but $$$ as this would be a way for them to impose a $100K (or more) fine on each team involved.

You know they can't see past the end of their nose when it comes to the impact on the sport, participants, or spectators.

So the suits attempt to fine every nitro team? Now we are talking full fledged riot.

Ultimately, this is a big old screwing by VP and NHRA.......

And your right, they are only concerned about how to line their own pockets, instead of cooperating with teams to solve the problem. Gee, that would be an original idea....

I bet you a dime to donuts they would let them all run and levee out the fines until they ran out of paper! :rolleyes:

there is no real answer here. the pro's hands are tied. it's not that they don't have the b%%'s to stand up to nhra. they have obligations to their sponsers, who give a few of them millions to display their product. they could all go somewhere and have a race of their own like back in the early 70's but they would'nt get the tv exposure. the sponser doesn't care where they race as long as they get their monies worth in exposure. sooo, nhra has the fuel and you race where and when they say. the best way to hurt nhra or whoever is responsible is for the fan not go to the races. strike that. pick one and nobody show up, the loss of revenue would be devastating. i still don't think that would work, because there's to many people that would disagree and still go.

What if....since there's been 16 or less T/F cars at the last 3 events, the guys decide who is making which session and each only make 2. That way NHRA would only have 8 cars or less making each qualifying session. Bet the fans wouldn't be too happy about that.

BTW, seems Shoe has offered to sell his nitro to NHRA, but all they want is their $100,000 fine paid. With just a bit more effort, the bean counters at NHRA can make this sport the laughing stock of motorsports.

What if....since there's been 16 or less T/F cars at the last 3 events, the guys decide who is making which session and each only make 2. That way NHRA would only have 8 cars or less making each qualifying session. Bet the fans wouldn't be too happy about that.

BTW, seems Shoe has offered to sell his nitro to NHRA, but all they want is their $100,000 fine paid. With just a bit more effort, the bean counters at NHRA can make this sport the laughing stock of motorsports.

Not to thread-jack (as if I haven't done that before:D), but Pat, do they still run much in White City? Still have a divisional race there? My first dragstrip experience was alcohol cars at White City back when I was in JR high. Pat Austin beat Brad Anderson for the FC win, and I remember buying a Sutter Home Winery dragster t-shirt. I don't pay much attention to things up that way anymore since moving out of Oregon.

This seems relevant, and directed at the suits.

Aristophanes, a 5th century B.C. Greek comic, wrote these words, “Youth ages. Immaturity is outgrown. Ignorance can be educated and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

Lets see, NHRA makes VP the only nitro supplier in turn for money from VP. Then VP has trouble paying the bills from buying Nitro even though they are jacking the price to the racers. Since the cost of nitro is X, and the teams are using it by the gallon. The ideal way to make more money on the same product is to sell it in smaller amounts for the same money and cry the "Government" made us do it this way. Anyone who will spend 1/2 hour on line to fill out some electronic paperwork can see through this.

Wow, this is going good, but now the darn manufacturer won't sell to us due to our unpaid overdue invoices. Now we have created a made up shortage, we can really jack the prices and beg Don S. to sell us the Nitro since our supplier won't. We now have the cash from screwing the racers with smaller amounts and incredible price hikes.

This of course is just an uneducated theory on a kid from Iowa, no actual facts or inside information.

What did I miss??????

Rapid

If I were a betting man, and I am; I'd put my money on Don Shumacher. He is one of the sharpest business leaders in our sport.
The problem has been created by selecting an "official" supplier. Competition works. Monopolies don't.
The stand off here is between the idea of a single supplier versus allowing those with a supply of nitro to compete.
Don's got nitro. He's also got the best of the arguments.
Eventually reality will dawn at Glendora. Let us all hope that it dawns before Don sells his supply to someone else.
Cheers,
Ed

Without seeing the drum, can someone tell the difference (by sight or machine) between VP Nitro and Don Schumacher Nitro? If not, I've got an idea. It might sound like a lot of jacking around but, what's to keep a team from filling up empty VP drums with Don Schumacher Nitro? I've heard of guys doing this with Oil deal years ago. Garlits was sponsored by Valvoline and was have all kinds of engine trouble. Somebody gave him some Kendall and Big would fill up the Valvoline cans with Kendall and then pour it in the engine.

Could this work?

Dave

Without seeing the drum, can someone tell the difference (by sight or machine) between VP Nitro and Don Schumacher Nitro? If not, I've got an idea. It might sound like a lot of jacking around but, what's to keep a team from filling up empty VP drums with Don Schumacher Nitro? I've heard of guys doing this with Oil deal years ago. Garlits was sponsored by Valvoline and was have all kinds of engine trouble. Somebody gave him some Kendall and Big would fill up the Valvoline cans with Kendall and then pour it in the engine.

Could this work?

Dave

My limited understanding of the situation is it's the exact same Nitro, so unless VP owns the barrels, and demand their return when done. I don't see why you couldn't get away with it

They bring the drums to your pit at the races and come and get them at the end.they know where they are and how many there is..

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back