Legends at each race (1 Viewer)

Alan, do you feel better now?

the NHRA is simply a clueless example of the misdirection of the current administration, since the death of the only oversight NHRA had was Wally Parks.

there are way too many former and current fans who have similar feelings about the current state of NHRA Drag Racing, they no longer watch the TV shows, no longer buy Main Gate products, and no longer buy tickets.

All I am going to say is that he made some amazing points, argument aside. I could of not typed it better. Post of the year. Your 2nd paragraph says exactly what we been saying for years on this site, yet get so much criticism for.

So your answer is to start my own? Give me the money and I will. NHRA's growth, development, and profit was made in a time where the current suits were not in charge. Ever since Wally died, it's never been the same.

NHRA's outstanding work of their 50th Anniversary should of been enough to keep the fans coming, instead NHRA let the momentum fizzle. The Suits are all big on bringing/and or tracks or all big on using a legend to try and get more people to come, 2 points:

A. People are going to come if you have a legend or not, it's weather, money, and/or scheduling that has been altering attendance

B. MOST IMPORTANTLY, And i commend the tracks that have done it, but it should not be the tracks, but the NHRA. The economy and unemployment in this country is not getting better and is getting worse despite how the news said 2009 was the end. NHRA'S ANSWER IS TO RAISE TICKET PRICES!!!!! WHAT IS THIS LOGIC? A SUNDAY TICKET HAS NO REASON TO BE CLOSE TO 70 BUCKS!

And why the hell is NATIONAL DRAGSTER close to 80 BUCKS!?!?!?! I would subscribe, but um, that's 3/4 a tank of gas for work and work is more important.

Seriously - some of the dozen or so persistent NHRA bashers, chronic complainers, and Oliver Stone conspiracy theorists on the Nitro Whiner need to be on medication. I'd like to see any of them tell Garlits, Shirley, or the Snake that they shouldn't be honored as an NHRA Legend. I've been an avid fan of the NHRA for over 40 years, and there has always been a steady supply of Chicken Littles predicting the imminent demise of the NHRA, and I'm still waiting for that to happen.

Silly boy you got so much to live for
So much to aim for, so much to try for
You blow it all with, paranoia
You're so insecure you, self-destroyer

paranoia, they destroy ya
paranoia, they destroy ya

Ray Davies/The Kinks

So is this your answer? A blind man can see that almost every event's attendance is down, I won't even get started on the TV. Tony, I don't enjoy bashing the NHRA, they just need help. I'm a fan just like you and I want this sport to last, but it's the worst it has ever been and given the economy; what future do you see? We just can't keep play defense when sponsors leave left and right. we need to play some offense and start to do better things to no, not ever try to be as big as nascar, but to just get some strength back in the sport.

If we cant deliver some form of positive ROI for a company, what says they all won't leave. It has nothing to do with Win/losses or TV Shows, NHRA needs to a new image. New marketing has to be done with the company and the public. They sit back and leave the sport alone because it is operating.

And for everyone's defense in this post: Not one person feels that the current legends don't deserve the honor. The point is their is more than Big, Shirley, and Don out there and the others should be booked along with them. And if the NHRA can't afford to host the legends, they should not have any. I thought this 60th year was gonna be something special, they completely messed it up, Only the 60 moments and facebook are getting the best response. I guess i'll wait to watch indy on TV and see the same 5 hours of the same history and 1 hour of different racing, i see every year.

Last edited:
for many years i don't think the nhra had a problem with fan attrition; they
were fortunate that new fans only added to a very stable base.
IMO they have lost their stable base and are fighting to both regain those
lost and attract new.
i think racing distance and cut nitro percentages have alienated more folks
than they might believe.
it's cookie cutter racing with no blowups or explosions; sorry, but it all adds
up to less entertainment for more dollars (ticket).
body lifting blower explosions sure are still the norm for nat. event commercials?

Last edited:
So I'm guessing that it won't be Joe Amato, Bruce Larson, or Bill Jenkins being the Legend at Maple Grove?

it's cookie cutter racing

This whole legends deal is bringing to light how far out of touch and misguided the NHRA is. The goal is to make money - which isn't out of line, but it seems the legends were chosen on who can bring in the most people which is out of line. It is disrespectful to Garlits, Muldowney, Lucas etc. because they aren't being honored for being a legend, but instead are being used as a tool to make money.

The problem one might have with the NHRA is that you would think people at the helm would have seen this and had the foresight to do something about it. Perhaps assemble a panel of representatives deeply involved with the history of the sport, not currently employed by the NHRA, to choose a legend for each track. Then it would make being honored truly … well … an honor.

But instead, due to poor planning or whatever, we are getting the same legends and arguments as to who is being honored. To me it just shows how poorly things are being run when something so seemingly simple as honoring legends gets screwed up.

Mike Agree with what you just said. That’s one of the biggest issues as to why attendance is down IMO. I don't know how you solve that problem though, maybe by radically changing the rules. It is a difficult problem, and again, sadly, I don't see those at the helm of the NHRA coming up with a solution to this problem.

I think the time is right for another sanctioning body to step up. The IHRA has some better ideas with running the full quarter mile, having the pro-stalgia class, nitro harley.. but they don't have the funding to attract 18 cars of nitro FC, or 18 TF cars… And the tracks are inferior… But at least they are TRYING to give the fans what they want. I can applaud the NHRA for having the pro-mods at select events, but I won't get to see them in BIR, and from what I hear (what I hear means I am uninformed and only know what I read or hear) that class is running mostly due to the efforts of one man.

I really hope the NHRA can pull it together and give the fans what they really want - here are a few ideas that seem common (run the quarter mile, have a nostalgia FC class, run pro mod full time, replace PSB with nitro harley)

If not, Ill see you in BIR every year till the NHRA becomes extinct.

for many years i don't think the nhra had a problem with fan attrition; they
were fortunate that new fans only added to a very stable base.
IMO they have lost their stable base and are fighting to both regain those
lost and attract new.
i think racing distance and cut nitro percentages have alienated more folks
than they might believe.
it's cookie cutter racing with no blowups or explosions; sorry, but it all adds
up to less entertainment for more dollars (ticket).
body lifting blower explosions sure are still the norm for nat. event commercials?

Exactly, Jeff Diehl, Ron Capps for a while. The sport has to go back to 1320 and they can't think it's fine all because the races say it's better racing. Let them go a little slower, I guarantee you we would rather have 1320 back even if the dragsters were slower. Put them back in the 4.90's. 1320 needs to be back.

Seriously, does every thread have to end up here, no matter what it started as????

The guy beating that dead horse has become a staple on this site, LOL!

I'm kinda dissapointed in the "legend" selection for Brainerd. The "legend" of choice is Forrest Lucas, a fine upstanding supporter and benefactor of the sport, but not quite a legend. You'd think that they'd have at least thought of using WJ..he's a Minnesota legend and a much more apropriate choice in my opinion. I realise that it is the "Lucas Oil Nationals", but seriously ??:confused:

Second that. How could you not include WJ as a legend at the Minnesota race????????

And, where is it written that "Legends" have to be racers that come from the "Pro" category of drivers?

Sportsman racers are the great majority of competitors, an a LOT of them have become "Legends" to a greater extent, and over a longer time competing, than the majority of the "Pro" racers mentioned, here.

People like Ben Wenzel, a multi-time winner in the SAME car for nearly FORTY-FIVE years, is still racing, and STILL WINNING. How's THAT for legendary status??? Vern Moats has been racing NHRA since 1966, and still is a factor wherever he runs! These guys make most of the "legendary" PROS look like newcomers!

No, those names won't put butts in the seats like (ho hum) Muldowney or Garlits, but does EVERYTHING have to be about making money? That mindset is what has taken the soul out of drag racing. The Emporer has no clothes, once again; just like the duplicitous idea that a Chevy-bodied Funny Car that wins with a Chrysler Hemi-type powerplant is still a "Chevy," and the fact that the Harleys that win Pro Stock Bike are only pulling a fraction of the weight per cubic inch that the Jap bikes have to move is NEVER mentioned by the announcers.

It would be nice to entertain the idea that the "Legends" concept might be to honor the efforts of the people who have dedicated a goodly portion of their adult lives to making drag racing what it is; a unique activity that has turned out to be the greatest motorsport ever conceived... But no... it's just another cash cow to wring some more dollars out of the fans.

I don't think Wally would think much of that concept, compared with what it COULD be.

OK Dedman, calm down and take your medication. Once again you are making too much sense LOL!!!!!!!!!

Darr and others,

This started as a debate over who is picking the legends. The ONLY point I attempted to make was that blaming Glendora for the decision of each track was wrong, because they were not making that call. I also pointed out that strictly from a name recognition factor I could understand the thought process. The fan buying a ticket in Sonoma, didn't get to meet Big at Chicago.

Somehow from that you detirmined that I am happy with the TV ratings, attendance and sales figures and that all I see are sunshine and rainbows. Please point out where I said any of that.

And you think I have tunnel vision?

Alan

Well I cant stand it anymore, so here is my two cents worth. First of all I am neither a NHRA lover or hater. I dont agree with everything the "suits" in Glendora do, but I also dont think they screw up everything they touch. Aside from the fact our national economy is in the dumper and disposable income for most folks is a thing of the past, I see one real problem causing the lack of fans in the seats, and the greying of fans of the sport. When us grey hairs were growing up, we had basically two things---your car and your girl friend. And your main goals in life (at least for most of us gear heads) were to make your car faster and get your girl friend in the back seat of your car to explore her female charms. We didnt have cell phones, texting, sexting, computers, the internet, DVDs, CDs, Ipods, twitter, 3 zillion channels of television (we had 3 channels and only 2 when momma refused to hold the antenna), and all the hundreds of other things that young people have to occupy their time---as well as the afore mentioned car and girl friend. Being in the classic car parts business, I am often asked "What will be the next big thing in collector cars?". My answer is nothing. I dont see any 57 Chevy--69 Camaro--Hemi Cuda, or the like on the horizon. I dont think we will ever again see anything like the muscle car boom and appreciation of the 50s and 60s and early 70s cars. Mainly because todays generation has other interests and MANY more things to occupy their time. Same rule applies to drag racing. Going to Indy to the big go was a big deal to me as a young man. We could debate if it is more exciting then or now, but there is no debate that there are lots of other cool things to do now. Which brings me to the legends of the sport. We will never have another group like Garlits, Prudhomme, Glidden, Jenkins, and the like in my opinion. Outside of John Force, I just dont see a personality on the same level as many of the other racers we consider "legends" of the sport. Now dont think I am crying gloom and doom---just that things are different and the old days aint coming back. Our whole culture if changing, and although I dont really like it, its the fact. Once again, just my two cents worth and probably overpriced at that.

Don't you think that most of these "LEGENDS" are smart enough to know which names are the crowd draw? AND many who were refered to in this thread are still at the track. Why don't we just go and thank them for their efforts over the years? I would personally step around "cha-cha" just to tell the Greek that it was great to see him win a round....

Last edited:
Mainly because todays generation has other interests and MANY more things to occupy their time.

Good point, if they added the things I like, I know I would like it more, but your right, people still might not show up. But I'm only 30, got into it in the mid 90's so the majority of those filling the stands in the mid 90's haven't died off yet. Many of them have just lost interest.

I would personally step around "cha-cha" just to tell the Greek that it was great to see him win a round....

I agree with you 100%

:rolleyes:

Yeah we will put it right next to Obama being interviewed by Rush Limbaugh:rolleyes:

I don't get it. A. It could happen, Bill O'Reilly interviewed him. B. Are they not legends? They are even more representative of how a fan could bring a slighty modified car to a drag race and earn a career that could put you in the record books still driving in the same class. Those guys are the grassroot guys of today, not anyone in the pros.

Seriously - some of the dozen or so persistent NHRA bashers, chronic complainers, and Oliver Stone conspiracy theorists on the Nitro Whiner need to be on medication. I'd like to see any of them tell Garlits, Shirley, or the Snake that they shouldn't be honored as an NHRA Legend. I've been an avid fan of the NHRA for over 40 years, and there has always been a steady supply of Chicken Littles predicting the imminent demise of the NHRA, and I'm still waiting for that to happen.

So do the persistent NHRA worshipers, Tony. No one is saying that the three racers you mentioned don't deserve to be honored as legends. What they ARE saying is that they shouldn't be the one every third race or so. LOTS and LOTS of other people who could be honored. Imminent demise? No, your pride and joy will probably continue to exist for quite a long time with no one in mainstream America having the slightest idea what NHRA is about. But thriving, as you said recently? Not a chance, pal.

The only legends that the "new" NHRA Suits know of, what a shame...

Let's see, might Austin Coil be an appropriate legend or Dick LaHaie, Billy Meyer, Bob Glidden, Tom McEwen or even the Greek... Garlits is one of the only legends that they know in Glendora.

If you don't have a sense of your own history, how can you run a sanctioning body?

Raymond Beatle, Eddie Hill?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back