Legends at each race (1 Viewer)

You guys can bash NHRA all you want, but as Jeff pointed out, it's not them making the choices. Also, I'm not discounting any of the names mentioned in this thread, but if you were hoping to sell tickets to your event, would you rather say

"Come out and meet Big Daddy Don Garlits!"

or

"Come out and meet Frank Bradley!"

I absolutely agree that the beard is a legend, but the average fan probably wouldn't recognize the name.

Alan

Well put Alan!

its the tracks who get to pick the legend to have at their event not glendora.

Oh, that's just great Jeff, ruin a perfectly good bashing by throwing stuff in like facts.:eek:

Jeff, you should know by now that facts are frowned upon here, specially when they go against personal opinions. :D

Also, I'm not discounting any of the names mentioned in this thread, but if you were hoping to sell tickets to your event, would you rather say

"Come out and meet Big Daddy Don Garlits!"

or

"Come out and meet Frank Bradley!"

I absolutely agree that the beard is a legend, but the average fan probably wouldn't recognize the name.

Alan

Shouldn't the NHRA be educating the newer fans on guys like "The Beard"? Maybe the NHRA should quit promoting the same few legends, and promote some others. Put these guys on a pedestal. Put together a video deal to show on the big screen before the introduction, so the crowd knows exactly who this guy is. Maybe start doing some more historical stuff on the broadcasts. I really don't think that many more tickets are being sold just because Big Daddy is telling them to fire up before the race. There are other legends with great personalities. While Shirley is an interesting person to meet, and has seemingly somewhat embraced the fans that cheered for her, she isn't the most personable legend out there. Or maybe try to do a package deal. Get another legend out there with Big Daddy. Let these newer fans know some of the people Big Daddy competed against. How about Jim Nicoll? Richard Tharp? Bob Creitz? Eddie Hill? Ivo? John Wiebe? How about getting the Mongoose and the Snake up on that stand together? There are so many great legends of this sport, there is no reason to use the same couple of people over and over again. At least not exclusively. Unless of course, none of the others want to do it.

And in ten years for the 70th, they can wheel the retired John Force around to all the events in a bio-diesel bus, since he is the only Pro Racer the current crop of fans will recognize.

I got a weird idea for the suits at NHRA... Shirley, Snake and one of the "also rans" like Bradley or Coil, you know the ones that wouldn't sell a ticket in Alan Reinhart's theory.

There's no reason that new fans should become educated about the whole history of our sport, just the "stars" are important. Thankfully, there's John Force to save all of drag racing!

By looking at all the empty seats in the house; I guess the fans around Chicago didn't get the memo, about Garlits being there.

and what will the gimmick be next year and the year after to put fans
in the seats?.......as mentioned previously, you can honor your legends at
every race of every year; i agree with others, i don't think this 'legends' is
doing much to bolster attendance.
aside from a sluggish economy IMO the entertainment value at national
events has decreased in the last decade yet spectator and racer costs
have increased.
what NHRA needs are new legends the likes of John Force and if it's possible
anymore? car brand wars would help too; lord knows we don't even have
the beer cars anymore :eek:
what the NHRA is missing is emotion.....and emotion sells.

Last edited:
You guys can bash NHRA all you want,

Alan, since you are the un-official apologist, un-official front man for NHRA (or not) how dare you call anyone an NHRA "bash"-er, NHRA is losing TV ratings, losing TV shows (GSA Pro Mod), alienating sponsors who do not get anywhere near a ROI, losing ticket sales and fans, losing teams and a big part of the decline is because there is NO OVERSIGHT of the "suits" since Wally Parks died.

You keep drinking the Full Throttle, but drag racing has taken a wrong turn without any visible LEADERSHIP, Tom Compton and his cadre are far from leaders, they are marketers, without clothes. When is the last time anyone heard an in-depth interview with President Tom Compton, one without "softball" pre-screened questions and not by someone whose check comes from NHRA?

Unfortunately, Membership in the NHRA has NO privileges nor oversight.

Glad to hear that you like the current state at NHRA enough to quickly slap down anyone who you might consider an NHRA "basher".

A sad state of affairs.

Last edited:
Here is an idea that would have liked for the Legends. Being they call it the "Legends" why don't they take the racers that ran the current division that the event is at and bring out the old drivers that raced that division.

For example in Texas as some have already been mentioned and some are even deceased on my list but these are the guys that we all watched growing up in the sport that some of us may enjoy seeing again, kind of like the "Where are they Now" segment that use to run in National Dragster. The announcer can read out there credentials and if their Dragster/Funny car has been restored it can be displayed or even pulled down the track for the fans. If the newer generation of drag fans do not know them they can surely be aware of who they were in there heyday and see why they are called the Legends that have also contributed to this sport to help make it what it is.

Here in Texas we still have, these guys and some are even deceased but at least give this generation of drivers one last hoorahhhh!!!
Raymond Beadle
Bobby Langely
Vance Hunt
Don Gay Sr
Frank Cook
Gordon Mineo
Mike Burkhart
Dale Emery
Jake Johnston
Chip Woodall
Kelly Chadwick
Bennie Osborn
Leonard Hughes
Richard Tharp
Marvin Graham
Jim Nicoll

Anyway, it is just my idea as some of these guys were local/territorial heroes growing up and the true drag racing fan should know who they are

Come on guys, Its NHRA, Somewhere-Somehow behind the scenes it comes down to money. I'm sure some of the "Legends" you listed would love to participate but NHRA most likely won't pay the plane ticket to attend, Hotel or even entry.
I'm sure someone like Forrest Lucas is an easy mark. He's already going to be there, He gets in as a sponsor, He already has a hotel room for him and his crew.
NHRA is out no $$$ and they get another "dancing chicken"

And Yes Alan, I am bashing NHRA, They can and should do better.

Come on guys, Its NHRA, Somewhere-Somehow behind the scenes it comes down to money. I'm sure some of the "Legends" you listed would love to participate but NHRA most likely won't pay the plane ticket to attend, Hotel or even entry.
I'm sure someone like Forrest Lucas is an easy mark. He's already going to be there, He gets in as a sponsor, He already has a hotel room for him and his crew.
NHRA is out no $$$ and they get another "dancing chicken"

And Yes Alan, I am bashing NHRA, They can and should do better.

My post is nothing more then what I would like to see at the tracks where the "Legends" are featured. There would be no plane tickets involved if it were done territorial for the most part, maybe a hotel and I doubt NHRA would charge them a gate entry. No disrespect to Lucas, but how is he a Legend?

My post is nothing more then what I would like to see at the tracks where the "Legends" are featured. There would be no plane tickets involved if it were done territorial for the most part, maybe a hotel and I doubt NHRA would charge them a gate entry. No disrespect to Lucas, but how is he a Legend?

Like I said in my post, Forrest Lucas is a great benefactor and supporter of NHRA ; but he is NOT a "legend" of the sport. What great stories does he have to tell about during the track walk? I'd love to do the track walk with a true Minnesota drag racing legend like Warren Johnson, or Greg Anderson, or maybe Tom Hoover...these guys are more along the lines of a legend than Forrest Lucas in my opinion.

Like I said in my post, Forrest Lucas is a great benefactor and supporter of NHRA ; but he is NOT a "legend" of the sport. What great stories does he have to tell about during the track walk? I'd love to do the track walk with a true Minnesota drag racing legend like Warren Johnson, or Greg Anderson, or maybe Tom Hoover...these guys are more along the lines of a legend than Forrest Lucas in my opinion.

And, where is it written that "Legends" have to be racers that come from the "Pro" category of drivers?

Sportsman racers are the great majority of competitors, an a LOT of them have become "Legends" to a greater extent, and over a longer time competing, than the majority of the "Pro" racers mentioned, here.

People like Ben Wenzel, a multi-time winner in the SAME car for nearly FORTY-FIVE years, is still racing, and STILL WINNING. How's THAT for legendary status??? Vern Moats has been racing NHRA since 1966, and still is a factor wherever he runs! These guys make most of the "legendary" PROS look like newcomers!

No, those names won't put butts in the seats like (ho hum) Muldowney or Garlits, but does EVERYTHING have to be about making money? That mindset is what has taken the soul out of drag racing. The Emporer has no clothes, once again; just like the duplicitous idea that a Chevy-bodied Funny Car that wins with a Chrysler Hemi-type powerplant is still a "Chevy," and the fact that the Harleys that win Pro Stock Bike are only pulling a fraction of the weight per cubic inch that the Jap bikes have to move is NEVER mentioned by the announcers.

It would be nice to entertain the idea that the "Legends" concept might be to honor the efforts of the people who have dedicated a goodly portion of their adult lives to making drag racing what it is; a unique activity that has turned out to be the greatest motorsport ever conceived... But no... it's just another cash cow to wring some more dollars out of the fans.

I don't think Wally would think much of that concept, compared with what it COULD be.

Last edited:
Even Dan Fletcher or Anthony Bertozzi. And I would love a Tom Compton Interview being given by Jon Asher

And, where is it written that "Legends" have to be racers that come from the "Pro" category of drivers?

Sportsman racers are the great majority of competitors, an a LOT of them have become "Legends" to a greater extent, and over a longer time competing, than the majority of the "Pro" racers mentioned, here.

People like Ben Wenzel, a multi-time winner in the SAME car for nearly FORTY-FIVE years, is still racing, and STILL WINNING. How's THAT for legendary status??? Vern Moats has been racing NHRA since 1966, and still is a factor wherever he runs! These guys make most of the "legendary" PROS look like newcomers!

No, those names won't put butts in the seats like (ho hum) Muldowney or Garlits, but does EVERYTHING have to be about making money? That mindset is what has taken the soul out of drag racing. The Emporer has no clothes, once again; just like the duplicitous idea that a Chevy-bodied Funny Car that wins with a Chrysler Hemi-type powerplant is still a "Chevy," and the fact that the Harleys that win Pro Stock Bike are only pulling a fraction of the weight per cubic inch that the Jap bikes have to move is NEVER mentioned by the announcers.

It would be nice to entertain the idea that the "Legends" concept might be to honor the efforts of the people who have dedicated a goodly portion of their adult lives to making drag racing what it is; a unique activity that has turned out to be the greatest motorsport ever conceived... But no... it's just another cash cow to wring some more dollars out of the fans.

I don't think Wally would think much of that concept, compared with what it COULD be.

Excellent input Bill.

Hey Darr,

Do you feel better now?

This thread started with the question of why "NHRA" wasn't using different legends at each race. It was then pointed out that it was not NHRA making the decision. I understand your position when it comes to NHRA, but in this case the criticism is misdirected. I also beleive that WJ would have been a perfect fit for Brainerd, but they didn't ask me.

I know NHRA isn't perfect and have never stated that it was, but when they get blamed for things that are clearly not their doing I speak up. Or if there is another side to the story that hasn't been considered, I point it out. There is certainly room for improvement as there is in any business that I know of.

You seem to think I have my head in the sand, and that the sky if falling. Niether one is true.

And feel free to insult me whenever you feel it will help to make your case I can take it.

Alan

I only used WJ as a prime example of a true racing legend from Minnesota...I meant no slight to any other racers.

Hey Darr,

Do you feel better now?

This thread started with the question of why "NHRA" wasn't using different legends at each race. It was then pointed out that it was not NHRA making the decision. I understand your position when it comes to NHRA, but in this case the criticism is misdirected. I also beleive that WJ would have been a perfect fit for Brainerd, but they didn't ask me.

I know NHRA isn't perfect and have never stated that it was, but when they get blamed for things that are clearly not their doing I speak up. Or if there is another side to the story that hasn't been considered, I point it out. There is certainly room for improvement as there is in any business that I know of.

You seem to think I have my head in the sand, and that the sky if falling. Niether one is true.

And feel free to insult me whenever you feel it will help to make your case I can take it.

Alan

Alan, do you feel better now?

No Alan, I don't feel better now, NHRA is spiraling down and you, as the Internet front man for that organization (officially or non-officially - or simply self appointed) keep your rose colored glasses firmly in place while "Glendora Burns".

There are real problems and this "sham of Bankable Legends" of the NHRA is simply a clueless example of the misdirection of the current administration, since the death of the only oversight NHRA had was Wally Parks.

For you to marginalize anyone who dares make a comment contrary to the pronouncements from NHRA is, once again, ignoring the FAN who has been an integral part of the growth of the NHRA.

Although you and other NHRA Full Throttle drinkers will never see it, there are way too many former and current fans who have similar feelings about the current state of NHRA Drag Racing, they no longer watch the TV shows, no longer buy Main Gate products, and no longer buy tickets. To always dismiss them is just part of that NHRA arrogance so many have experienced.

Have a legendary week.

Hey Darr,

Do you feel better now?

Alan

Alan, As you said "They didn't ask you" I take that to mean you were not in the meeting that made the decision. Correct? So then how do you know NHRA was not making the decision. And if in fact you do know they didn't have a hand in it. Then who did? Maybe we should direct the "Rants" at them.

I find it VERY HARD to believe NHRA doesn't have a hand in every decision that effects the operation and marketing of an NHRA Event. The "Legends" are being used as a marketing tool to sell tickets just like any other marketing tool. As with any marketing tool there is something called over saturation. Garlits, Muldowney and such are great racers and legends in the sport. But they are now at the point of being exploited and over saturated. Variety of the "Legends" is what we need. Other people that have made contributions to the sport that racers and spectators can learn from and listen too.

While I believe they (NHRA) are responsible for the choices, I also believe there are better choices and that NHRA has shown time and time again in this sititution and in other situtitions that its not willing to pay to have it done properly.

Seriously - some of the dozen or so persistent NHRA bashers, chronic complainers, and Oliver Stone conspiracy theorists on the Nitro Whiner need to be on medication. I'd like to see any of them tell Garlits, Shirley, or the Snake that they shouldn't be honored as an NHRA Legend. I've been an avid fan of the NHRA for over 40 years, and there has always been a steady supply of Chicken Littles predicting the imminent demise of the NHRA, and I'm still waiting for that to happen.

Silly boy you got so much to live for
So much to aim for, so much to try for
You blow it all with, paranoia
You're so insecure you, self-destroyer

paranoia, they destroy ya
paranoia, they destroy ya

Ray Davies/The Kinks

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back