Leaded race fuel (1 Viewer)

The original article is here: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ons-racetracks-portland-international-raceway

I read through with an open mind, expecting details about what the lead levels in the children actually was, but they don’t seem to have figures for that.
I’m guessing that homes by the race track may be worth less than those further away, implying the demographic may be more of an issue for test scores than lead.
Now all of that said, I don’t think it’s a bad thing for racing to move away from using leaded fuels. The effects of lead are well proven. Australia did it years ago and the sport carried on there just the same once racers adjusted.
But in this case, it seems lead is being used as a scapegoat for vested interests.

The lead level in low-lead AV gas is much higher than the lead levels were in leaded gasoline for cars when that was still available at the pump.
I don’t understand why lead is still used for AV gas. I would think all modern airplane piston engines have hardened valve seats, and wouldn’t need leaded gas.
There must be a lot of older planes still in flight that need leaded gasoline.
Getting hardened valve seats installed on any piston engine plane is probably a high dollar conversion.
There is a problem with the situation here and as usual it is the government. It is true that there are about 170,000 Piston driven aircraft in the U.S. which spread out over the entire 50 states isn't very high density, but they are in "clumps" because of population centers. The AOPA says that the average age of those aircraft is 35 years. 35 years ago those certified engines did not have hardened seats - valves or anything else suitable for non leaded fuel. You cannot legally replace - upgrade or modify any parts on those engines and get them re-certed to fly again. Any work you do yourself on the engine must be signed off by a licensed mechanic and them sticking there neck out is Slim to None (Slim is skating on thin Ice). I put a brand new GM alternator on my partner's plane that was about $200 (my cost) but it did not have a Tag on it so it was a "No-go". The same exact unit with a sticker was more than double the retail price + labor. You can't chance it because of liability and getting in trouble with the FAA.

Last edited:
Roger
You are correct about not messing with the FAA rules and regulations. I worked 45+ years as a quality and or a procurement rep. on the west coast for the worlds largest landing gear manufacturer.
I saw many times that things happened because someone didn't fallow the requirements, including the US government causing a loss of life. just watch Air Disasters on TV an it is clear they have specs. an rules for a reason.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter🤠

Last edited:
Roger
You are correct about not messing with the FAA rules and regulations. I worked 45+ years as a quality and or a procurement rep. on the west coast for the worlds largest landing gear manufacturer.
I saw many times that things happened because someone didn't fallow the requirements, including the US government causing a loss of life. just watch Air Disasters on TV an it is clear they have specs. an rules for a reason.
You mean I can’t weld a Monroe Shock to a Pogo stick if my landing gear needs replacing and have it signed off over a couple of brews.🤠

The lead level in low-lead AV gas is much higher than the lead levels were in leaded gasoline for cars when that was still available at the pump.
I don’t understand why lead is still used for AV gas. I would think all modern airplane piston engines have hardened valve seats, and wouldn’t need leaded gas.
There must be a lot of older planes still in flight that need leaded gasoline.
Getting hardened valve seats installed on any piston engine plane is probably a high dollar conversion.
I understood the lead wasn’t for the valve seats as much as it was for anti- detonation. Also maybe the octane needed to be higher for the thinner air?

No Roger that won't work ,LOL. there were some that I knew well that lost everything they had, their Company, money etc. and some spent time in the gray bar hotel for doing things they should not do. As I said before there are specs that are required, when the Last Space shuttle landed I took a DEEP breath and thanked god for a major issue I found that required all space shuttle landing gear to be recycled Pryor to installing, due to a manufacturing error, the error was causing bolts to snap with the gear seating in the assembly area, (300M) bolts. the recycle cost many millions but never had a failure on the shuttle.

I worked many years ago at a shop that did magnaflux & zyglo penetrent inspections. One of the things we magnafluxed were aircraft landing bolts. BIG bolts that fit on airline aircrafts. If we found a crack we'd mark the bolt as not acceptable. If the person making the bolts used them anyway, the cracked bolt could have caused a landing failure that could have resulted in deaths. I watch airliners land all the time and there is a lot of pressure put on the landing gear because of the weight of the aircraft.

You mean I can’t weld a Monroe Shock to a Pogo stick if my landing gear needs replacing and have it signed off over a couple of brews.🤠
Not likely. Years ago I worked in a machine shop where a horizontal stabilizer support came in with holes drilled in the wrong location. It was a $12,000 part (in around 1990) and they didn't want to replace it. We had to jump through all kinds of hoops to make the repair and have it signed off by FAA inspectors who watched the whole operation of making sleeves, boring the part for a press fit (aided by dry ice) and boring the new holes in the right location. How do I know? I was the unlucky guy who got a call early on a Saturday morning to come in and do the work.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back