Leaded race fuel (1 Viewer)

What a load of crap, as far as excuses for low test scores I'm sure leaded race fuels come in about 386,874th on the list. By that logic guys like Don Garlits, Connie Kalitta, Isky and many others who have been around nitromethane and different fuels (hydrazine for example) would be licking windows and these are some of the smartest minds you will ever meet.

It's not hard to believe that Kids in Portland are Brain damaged or impaired. What is hard to believe is that it is from Leaded Gasoline. It is highly possible that it is a result of all the chemicals most of their parents did before they were born. The Portland area is not exactly the same as the Vatican.

All the small airplanes spewing leaded gas fumes, and that’s spread all over this country. As I understand it, leaded fuel is still used in them because it’s more important to stay running and not fall out of the sky than to worry about a few emissions. And the reason we don’t have it on the street anymore is it poisons catalytic converters.
Years ago (maybe 47?) my parents gave me and my sister a fish tank. After about a month the fish started dying and we kept replacing them. We did many water changes but it kept happening. Turns out a gas station in the area had a leak and they didn’t say that lead was going to be the problem, it was MTBE. They had to put an aerator and filter on the aquifer

Last edited:
Good Lord. Now I can go ahead and die, knowing I've truly heard it all. o_O:rolleyes::oops:

Sounds like a combination of environazis and noise haters have teamed up to get that track closed down. Rioting and rampant homelessness in the streets of Portland, you betcha; evil drag racers with your loud cars, get out of town. As if leaded fuel in the air is the primary issue facing Portland's children.

Bob, when we were growing up, there was lotsa stuff in the air from chemicals and what have you (lead paint even) that was doing a number on us & never knew it. Like the fish tank. I've often wondered how much the Atom Bomb tests in Nevada affected us in Los Angeles. I've had allergies & breathing problems all my life. Smog? Pollution? Radiation? Who knows? I think the nutsos in Portland want everyone to go to electric cars & ban gas altogether. They won't say anything about all the batteries affecting the ozone layer. ( ) Sorry, had to censor the last remarks cuz my brain ain't workin' cuz of Deadly Gasoline Fumes. a r g h

SoCal has had environmental issues forever!

When I was a kid in the 50's, we would have "SMOG Alerts" and we were not allowed to go outside at recess to play because of the air quality in the "Bowl" that the nearby mountains creates. You literally could not see them!

When the Environmental Protection laws were enacted, the climate changed radically here .

While your area may not be impacted a lot of Metro areas are ans the winds carry the crap out to the hinterlands!

Bob, when we were growing up, there was lotsa stuff in the air from chemicals and what have you (lead paint even) that was doing a number on us & never knew it. Like the fish tank. I've often wondered how much the Atom Bomb tests in Nevada affected us in Los Angeles. I've had allergies & breathing problems all my life. Smog? Pollution? Radiation? Who knows? I think the nutsos in Portland want everyone to go to electric cars & ban gas altogether. They won't say anything about all the batteries affecting the ozone layer. ( ) Sorry, had to censor the last remarks cuz my brain ain't workin' cuz of Deadly Gasoline Fumes. a r g h
I hear ya on the allergies.....in my case it's from dust which is just part of growing up in Texas - although I was born in LA. Who knows about the bomb testing ( I watched one of them light up as we were driving through Nevada about 5am; pretty spectacular) but if I recall, the air in LA during that time was worse than it is today. If you grew up breathing that crap it's no wonder you're having problems today. Sorry..... :(

The air in the LA Basin was much worse in the 50's - 70's. It was so bad some days you didn't go outside and when you did yours eyes hurt. The population was 1/3 of what it is today and today's air is much cleaner. We must be doing something better.

The air in the LA Basin was much worse in the 50's - 70's. It was so bad some days you didn't go outside and when you did yours eyes hurt. The population was 1/3 of what it is today and today's air is much cleaner. We must be doing something better.
My guess is catalytic converters reducing the emissions of NOXes (nitrogen oxides).

All the small airplanes spewing leaded gas fumes, and that’s spread all over this country. As I understand it, leaded fuel is still used in them because it’s more important to stay running and not fall out of the sky than to worry about a few emissions. And the reason we don’t have it on the street anymore is it poisons catalytic converters.
Years ago (maybe 47?) my parents gave me and my sister a fish tank. After about a month the fish started dying and we kept replacing them. We did many water changes but it kept happening. Turns out a gas station in the area had a leak and they didn’t say that lead was going to be the problem, it was MTBE. They had to put an aerator and filter on the aquifer
The lead level in low-lead AV gas is much higher than the lead levels were in leaded gasoline for cars when that was still available at the pump.
I don’t understand why lead is still used for AV gas. I would think all modern airplane piston engines have hardened valve seats, and wouldn’t need leaded gas.
There must be a lot of older planes still in flight that need leaded gasoline.
Getting hardened valve seats installed on any piston engine plane is probably a high dollar conversion.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back