Lead, Follow Or Get Out Of The Way? (1 Viewer)

i read this article a few weeks ago and was waiting for someone to post about it. Great title for sure!! Very good points and interesting information. Thanks for putting in the link. I don't know how to do that or I would have after I read it.

Excellent point. I've always wondered why the NHRA doesn't cash in more on featuring the personalities of drivers. Imagine how many good commericals could come from Scelzi, Force, etc.

This has been discussed to Death! I'd love to see commercials using John Force/ Tony Shoe, but I doubt it will ever happen. NHRA has NO TV ratings! A 1.0 ratings share is rare to say the least, Nascar pulls a 5.8 to 7.0 share depending on the race. The Daytona 500 will probably pull a 7.5 or better. You think a sponsor's going to invest $500,000 to shoot a commercial using JF or Tony Shoe to promote NHRA? I'll believe it when I see it!:rolleyes:

i read this article a few weeks ago and was waiting for someone to post about it. Great title for sure!! Very good points and interesting information. Thanks for putting in the link. I don't know how to do that or I would have after I read it.

Lori, if you want to write a thread just click on NHRA under forum column and at the top of page on left you will find new thread and you will figure it out from there. If not just give me a call and I'll run you through it.:)

Thanks Jesse. Always my hero.
I can voice my opinions and thoughts great on the phone or whatever, just not quite up to par with this computer stuff. I will call you if I need to do something here. See ya

Come on Joe, things aren't that bad. Or are they? Nike just shot a commercial using a nitro funny car. The problem is when these companies produce an ad with a drag racing theme they rarely use a drag racing personality. The NIKE commercial uses the nostalgia Blue Max with a generic vinyl wrap. Why is that???? I must admit I don't understand the all nascar all the time banner. We really don't have any house hold names right now in drag racing other than maybe Force.

Last edited:
i think alot of the problem with the NHRA drivers and their lack of recognition is the fact of nacsar spreads their races out over a bunch of different networks, and the time of day. Daytona will be on during the middle of the day on sunday. as with most of the races because the races are live. look at the saturday night races, i bet they draw huge ratings. I know drag racing cant be completly live, but they could show the first 2 rounds as tape delay, then show the semi's and finals live. and between rounds show stuff going on in the pits, and qualifying highlites, not what team force did over the past year another 100 times, or cory macs bristol wreck. use the between rounds time to make the drivers into house hold names during decent hours of the day. not 11:30 at night after getting pushed back by the "world poker championship"

Bruce obviously hasn't seen this years TV schedule. Prime Time All the Time

You guys make it sound like this has never been done before,
PowerAde has used the Champs for a few years in their ads
Fram/Autolite has used Force,
Budweiser has done ads with the team
Mike Ashley's ads feature Drag Racing
Summit ads are Greg talking about the company
Almost all the JEGS ads use one or more of the cars
Ashley and John in the Auto Club spots
BRUT had Capps everywhere and NAPA has already shot new ads with him

Should I go on?

Alan

Phoenix qualifying at 11PM PST Saturday night prime time?
I need one of your watches.

Read it again: There's a time frame for everyone, personally, I'd get up and watch qualifying at 8AM PST Sunday morning
Qualifying; First showing is the middle of the night, but
Feb. 24
2:00 a.m.-3:30 a.m.

Second Showing, and before I really start listening to the webcast
Feb. 24 Repeat of Qualifying Sunday Morning
11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

Finals start to air out here before the finals are run.
Feb. 24 Three hours Prime Time Sunday
7:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m.

Then we have a condensed showing for those who want to run tape and witched 'bout the winters being too long.
Feb. 27 Repeat of Eliminations
3:00 a.m.-5:00 a.m.

d'kid

Last edited:
The race itself is on 6-9 PM EST Sunday evening. Now the west coast guys will complain that it's to early-LOL. The TV schedule this year is a HUGE step in the right direction. 21 of the 24 in Prime Time Sunday slots.

I guess I'm wondering why some of you can't applaud the progress as opposed to just saying that it's not enough. Is it perfect? No. Is it considerably better? I sure think so.

Alan

I can think of six ads that I've seen on TV that were not aired during a drag race broadcast that featured an actual cameo NHRA driver. This includes:

1 Snake and Mongoose ad for Hot Wheels early 70's

1 Plymouth arrow ad featuring Don Prudhomme mid 70's

1 KFC add featuring Shirley Muldowney mid to late eighties

1 Pennzoil ad featuring Eddie Hill mid nineties

1 Bud ad featurning KB late 90s I think

1 Brute commercial featuring Capps 2007

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back