Larry Morgan making sense again (2 Viewers)

NHRA is like our Government they don't think any thing is wrong and with that attitude it will never change. What need to happen is that The high ups in NHRA needs to be voted on by the NHRA members, that would go a long way in changing things

NHRA is like our Government they don't think any thing is wrong and with that attitude it will never change. What need to happen is that The high ups in NHRA needs to be voted on by the NHRA members, that would go a long way in changing things

I agree with you Lanny.....but isn't that how our government works? Look what it's gotten us.

Good article

I wish NHRA would listen to their core racers who are the foundation for the association

Whit Bazemore wrote a very similar article relating to NHRA and the Nitro classes that makes a lot of sense

I think there is a big disconnect there that needs attention

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/editorials/27596-whit-bazemore-let-s-fix-it-now

If the Pro Stock guys are so upset with the state of their class, they should work collectively and stand behind a common message. Larry Morgan giving an interview that only states his position will not change the course for the rest of the participants. Unfortunately for Larry, he never received the support from a sponsor or Ford that he was anticipating. Not sure how that should influence how Cagnazzi, Elite, Ken Black, or the Gray's should run their operation.

If you read between the lines a little ... Larry uses terms like "wealthy guys" and "scrap buckets". If those folks he is referring to don't currently have an issue with the $$ of Pro Stock racing, nothing will change. As long as those team sponsors and owners have the means to continue to compete at that high level, it will remain.

I suspect, that if NHRA made some random rules changes in any Pro class, typical of NASCAR (mentioned in the article), many here and in the sport would be screaming outrage. Kind of depends which side of the fence you sit on.

Doesn't matter to me either way, but me thinks Larry is on an island on this one. Pro Stock is a rich man's game played by independantly wealthy owners willing to spend their own money to have fun.

Jim, he's not on an island. And there aren't 16 millionaires taking 16 spots. Just like the fuel ranks, part-timers help fill the fields at each event. And that's actually a good thing. But we need a little forward thinking to help these classes not only survive, but thrive. Racing will never be cheap, but there needs to be an ongoing effort to try and reign in costs. That's the only way to attract new teams to try and mix it up.

Much like other sports owners they often seem to not be able to stop themselves for the better of their team/game. Without rules in place though, you have to spend in order to stay in front of the other guy.

Salary caps have made a huge difference in 3 out of the 4 major sports.

It would be very difficult to use the same type of salary cap in motorsports. But some type of rules to help cut the cost would greatly help. It might also open up sponsorship to the next level of companies as right now you need a pretty major company that is willing to spend 3-5 million on a pro deal. (remember the cost is above just the money they sign to the team to be on the side of the car)

My .02 is drop pro stock and replace it with pro mod, have you noticed how many pro mod entries there are at a race, plus they are cooler to watch, next year with Connoly leaving and Morgan gone it looks like there will be 14 car fields, pro stock has just become too expensive!

I wonder if Mr. Glidden didn't have the same attitude about the factory support from Ford? I have always been a fan of Pro/stock but if becomes a class full of camaros (or whatever g.m.) with 3 Dodge cars trying to be competitive again, I am going to the fuel pits...

Last edited:
Jim, he's not on an island. And there aren't 16 millionaires taking 16 spots. Just like the fuel ranks, part-timers help fill the fields at each event. And that's actually a good thing. But we need a little forward thinking to help these classes not only survive, but thrive. Racing will never be cheap, but there needs to be an ongoing effort to try and reign in costs. That's the only way to attract new teams to try and mix it up.
Don't disagree with your philosophy, but outside of Morgan, there is a lot of $$ behind every one of these teams from this past week.

Psn---Num-Driver, Home Town, Car Type---------------Qual-ET--Qual-Spd-Top Spd
1 6 Erica Enders-Stevens, New Orleans LA, '14 Cama 6.511 213.03 213.03
2 1 Jeg Coughlin, Delaware OH, '14 Dart 6.522 212.53 212.53
3 3 Jason Line, Mooresville NC, '14 Camaro 6.522 212.29 212.39
4 51 Dave Connolly, Mooresville NC, '14 Camaro 6.525 212.33 212.33
5 11 Shane Gray, Mooresville NC, '14 Camaro 6.528 212.06 212.06
6 154 Vincent Nobile, Dix Hills NY, '14 Camaro 6.529 211.96 212.36
7 2 Allen Johnson, Greeneville TN, '14 Dart 6.531 212.26 212.26
8 13 Jonathan Gray, Mooresville NC, '14 Camaro 6.532 211.96 211.96
9 8 Greg Anderson, Mooresville NC, '14 Camaro 6.542 212.13 212.13
10 19 Richie Stevens, New Orleans LA, '13 Camaro 6.552 210.90 211.56
11 10 Rodger Brogdon, Tomball TX, '13 Camaro 6.558 211.43 211.53
12 7 V. Gaines, Lakewood CO, '14 Avenger 6.565 211.00 211.00
13 4264 Chris McGaha, Odessa TX, '13 Camaro 6.575 210.83 211.00
14 442 Aaron Stanfield, Bosier City LA, '12 Camaro 6.584 211.56 211.56
15 52 Deric Kramer, Sterling CO, '12 Avenger 6.589 210.41 210.41
16 12 Larry Morgan, Newark OH, '13 Mustang 6.612 209.85 209.85

How did Vincent Nobile (before KB Racing) get started, Chris McGaha, Derick Kramer, Aaron Stanfield. There are others. All pretty independant. Most are affiliated with another team engine lease program. Many were/still are part time racers having success at the highest level. In 2014 ...
  • 41 diferent drivers have raced in Pro Stock
  • 32 of them have attended at least 2 races
  • 25 of them have attended 3 or more
I don't know, I think that indicates some level of strength. Many of these teams will continue to improve and find resources to attend more races as they find the improvements and associated success.

Not trying to debate it, just think we might be looking at the same thing from opposite ends.

There is not a lot of money behind Richie, there is just enough to get him to a few races. Same for Stanfield and Kramer. McGaha spent A LOT of money at the beginning of the year, but you can see he has already fallen behind ... does he have enough to spend to keep up? Erica is not particularly well funded, sitting out the Western Swing to save some cash, but she has good equipment and smart guys to help make up the budgetary deficit. Connolly goes to Top Fuel next year, does anybody back fill that seat? Or is there going to be one less car? May not sound like much, but it will make a difference, particularly if Morgan bails.

Sure hope someone in the N.H.R.A. is listening to what Larry said because the costs to run the class just might be what kill's Pro Stock racing in the end.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

My .02 is drop pro stock and replace it with pro mod, have you noticed how many pro mod entries there are at a race, plus they are cooler to watch, next year with Connoly leaving and Morgan gone it looks like there will be 14 car fields, pro stock has just become too expensive!

I go back and forth on this view. Like I said in another thread, I'm afraid if this happened that it would suffer the same demise that Pro Stock is currently going through. While I believe the cars to be more exciting to watch, I'm also concerned that if you give Pro Mod the Pro platform that it will attract much more attention and support through sponsorships. I know that sounds stupid to put a negative spin on that, but what happens when that influx of new money hits the class? More money will be spent and the little guy gets shoved out yet again.

Now if the NHRA could learn from past mistakes and make a concerted effort to not let it get out of control by staying on top of rules and regulations, then maybe. But they've not been historically good at that.

Sean D

If Larry Morgan had a $2 mil. sponsor, you think he would be saying this? Or it is because like Whiney J isn't sponsored?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back