Larry Morgan making sense again (1 Viewer)

his TF may very well begin after LV2, but if he's in contention for the PS title, which he is rite now, it would seem highly
unlikely that gray/cagnazzi racing would pass up the chance for dave to take the PS title.

there is nothing wrong with larry morgan voicing his opinion publicly; he has to answer to himself only.
wish this was more prevalent among racers. it has been obvious for many years there is no money to be made racing
professionally in the nhra; the costs to race far exceed the purse. if sponsors, parts mfgr's and team owners support the effort, why
increase the costs exponentially? IMO i feel this is driving sponsors away who are not directly connected to an owner
and only increase the out of pocket expense for the team owners......after a while how much is too much?

IMO ford stands to increase sales of on-track and off-track vehicles by supporting their sportsman factory program far
more than ever increasing $ponsor requests from JFR. i think ford should be applauded for
supporting JFR and even tasca III; put their money and time in and now are moving on,
yet staying with nhra's factory sportsman program; they could have just as easily left it all.

IMO the factory sportsman cars is where nhra should focus; both S and SS programs which i think is really the true PS rite now.
these cars appeal to all ages and finally after 15-20 years again resemble what you drive on the street......plus they are badass to watch with the wheels up launches....weight transfer for the racer, entertainment for the fan.

want to talk about the importance of indy?....well, the pros still lie to us that it is some big
important race.....rite; 17 FC's.....every nat. is the same, don't bullsh*t me.
NOW at this race the factory cars show from all over the country to put it all on the line;
more factory cars here at this one race than any other single nat. event.....other than the
traxxas shootouts, THIS is what indy used to be about and is again now with the factory cars

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but these late model factory stockers and super stockers put on one heck of a good show, so why not more TV time for them? Taking this a step further, I personally think that the entire NHRA Pro Stock concept might want to re-visit using actual factory based cars, and factory based powerplants. Kids can relate to these cars a lot more than the current Pro Stockers, and although not nearly as fast as an NHRA Pro Stock car, they are more fun to watch make a lap with the wheels in the air.

Am I off base here?

i do not think you are off base at all christopher; and you have various engine combinations at play also.
and fuel injection.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but these late model factory stockers and super stockers put on one heck of a good show, so why not more TV time for them? Taking this a step further, I personally think that the entire NHRA Pro Stock concept might want to re-visit using actual factory based cars, and factory based powerplants. Kids can relate to these cars a lot more than the current Pro Stockers, and although not nearly as fast as an NHRA Pro Stock car, they are more fun to watch make a lap with the wheels in the air.

Am I off base here?

No you are not, besides that will be the only class that is supported by GM, Ford, and Mopar. Just think, you could have 32 cars fields easily. Since these cars been introduced, you have a lot of guys and gals purchasing these cars that never been fully involved in drag racing. I think Larry Morgan have a mustang, I know Allen Johnson brought one for his father. Big Daddy might have 2.

Chris Riley wrote the following,

Am I off base here?

I do not think you are off base with your comments !!!

What you are doing is thinking outside the box and that is the type of thinking that is needed right now to change the direction to a more positive direction.

I am still thinking about idea of spending a hundred thousand dollars to make $40,000 dollars if you win!!! I know this has been going on in racing for years but maybe it's time to consider trying to limit the costs involved for everyone.

Drag racing can't be just for the few that have the sponsors or wealth to fund their own operations. Looking at the T/F car count at Maple Grove makes me think it is!!!!!!!

Jim Hill

I probably should clarify that I have nothing against the current group of Pro Stock racers and teams. In fact, I've got friends that are in the engine programs at Elite and JGR, and I really admire what they can accomplish with 500 cubes and two carbs. The current Pro Stockers are brutally fast, and are probably the most technically sophisticated cars at the drag strip. They are also incredibly expensive to build and campaign for a season.

These current late model factory stockers and super stockers, have really got my attention. I can sit and watch them run lap after lap, and they make me smile! They are loud, fast, pull great wheelies........and the passes last just long enough to really build some anticipation on who is going to win any given single race. In contrast, the current Pro Stockers are so fast, and run so closely together, that there isn't much anticipation of anything other than a 210+ mph lap in the mid 6 second range. The Pro Stockers are impressive.....but they aren't really dramatic. Well, with the exception of V.Gaines going on his lid, but nobody wants to see that happen.

I was working at a bike and sled drag event a couple of weeks ago at US 131 Raceway Park, and there was a new COPO Camaro there making some hits. When that car pulled into the waterbox, just about everybody stopped whatever they were doing to watch it run. People were really digging the car, and the burnouts were just as impressive as any "Pro" car does anymore. The mid 8 second laps were fun to watch, and the speeds were impressive, too.

NHRA needs to leverage the interest that the fans, as well as the auto OEM's have in these cars, and get them on TV and running in the "Pro" ranks on Saturday and Sunday.

And a couple of normal guy's could pool there $$ and race one of these TRUE FACTORY HOTRODS.
I like the idea.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back