Larry Morgan Interview at DRO (1 Viewer)

Well done by all...great questions from DRO, and as always, great answers and wisdom from Larry...hope someone is listening

They will read it and it's something they don't already know. The cost of the engine programs are mind blowing. Once again it becomes a millionaires game and another reason the fans are losing interest across the board. How can the average person or fan relate to that? And Now we know why ford left.

Last edited:
Larry's always a good interview!

I think the following sums it up pretty damn well:

'I don’t know what Compton's in charge of – although he's supposed to be in charge of it all. He's not apparently seeing what we see.'

As it's been said many times before, Compton needs to pull his head out of his rectum or resign. End of story.

If NHRA even thought of making rule changes to rein in costs, the racers out there now would pitch a fit!

Like I've said in previous post, there needs to be a major change in the top brass and more Drag Racers input into how NHRA is to be run. Larry is a hard core racer that puts everything he has into Drag Racing, I don't know him personally but I know Gary Pearman his past crew chief and told me he was a great guy to work with, so I listen strongly at what he has to say. I am also paying a lot of attention on how IHRA does the couple of years it's going to be interesting.

There are problem solvers and problem identifiers .... personally I don't have much use for the identifiers, but I understand their right to serve that role. Problem is it has no real function but to draw attention to one's self typically without helping the issue.

The barriers to entry to building a drag racing organization are essentially nil from a business point of view. Racers race because it is in their blood. Most racers don't want to turn their hobby into a true business. Motorsports has never been a great way to support your family, and it's almost sad that some think that it should support your family. More power to those who can do it (Force, et al), but competitive internal combustion is just not the next great money making prospect.

If you really hate how things are going, hang up the slicks for a few years and build a sanctioning body your way. Larry ought to consider running comp, and retool his employees to operate outside of the entertainment field. Professional motorsports is entertainment pure and simple. Tastes in entertainment have always been fickle. Larry has entertainment value, but in today's world do you want to be his talent agent?

I don't agree with a fair amount of what the NHRA does. But I also don't hesitate to call, write, and discuss in person my views and perspectives .... but I also listen to their perspectives. And, I'll have to say, it makes it a little easier to get up in the morning and do what I do to make a living, but part of the reason I work hard for that living is to spend some of the money drag racing.

I think they should take the factory mustangs, challengers, and camaros that the factory is producing now for the stock/superstock classes and call it factory hot rods(yea like pro stock used to be). Car must be produce by the manufactor and available to the public like they are right now. Of course you might have to had weight breaks and that's what they don't want to deal with. Lets face it, these cars are to fast for stock class anyway. Also think of how many cars would show up for to race. You could have a 32 car field and still have a bunch that would not make the show.
Ford is getting our of fuel racing, don't want no part of pro stock, but still producing cobra jets.

I think they should take the factory mustangs, challengers, and camaros that the factory is producing now for the stock/superstock classes and call it factory hot rods(yea like pro stock used to be). Car must be produce by the manufactor and available to the public like they are right now. Of course you might have to had weight breaks and that's what they don't want to deal with. Lets face it, these cars are to fast for stock class anyway. Also think of how many cars would show up for to race. You could have a 32 car field and still have a bunch that would not make the show.
Ford is getting our of fuel racing, don't want no part of pro stock, but still producing cobra jets.

Bingo, for a performance purist Pro Stock is cool. For 90% of the population they don't mean a thing. Return to real cars or watch the class die a slow and boring death.

Pro stock would get real interesting if they made it a claimer motor class.
Hehe, excellent. Mindblowing...

It could go like this. First, the DNQ cars could claim the motors out of the number 1-8 cars for $100. The claimer would be entitled to swap his engine with the engine in a higher qualified car of his or her choice. All this would take place at the scales. Then the number 9-16 qualifiers could put up $100 and pick out one of the remaining 1-8 qualified cars and swap motors. At the following race it would be possible for the racer who got his motor claimed at the prior race to get his engine back by claiming it back if they didn't do very well.

There are circle track series racers that do exactly this. It keeps people from spending too much on their engines, keeps people from cheating because your engine could be "claimed"and everyone would know what's in it and you would have instant parity.

Problem solved. You're welcome, Larry.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back