Lack of track prep (1 Viewer)

Courtney could smoke the tires and pedal it 2 or 3 times and still coast to an ET quicker than they ran all out in the 60's.

I thought about that, but then the 21st century car would probably grenade before it had enough momentum to beat the 60's car

I thought about that, but then the 21st century car would probably grenade before it had enough momentum to beat the 60's car

If Courtney gets to keep her 2018 tires, she wins every time, by many car lengths. Even if they ran it on alcohol.

Alan

Guy's I think we are getting to far away from the thread that was all about preping tracks for racing.

If they are changing the formula at dififerent drag strips for different reasons it really starts to make the tuners job much harder to get a handle on everything.

At least when you are racing on a track with no prep you kind of know what you are getting into.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

If Courtney gets to keep her 2018 tires, she wins every time, by many car lengths. Even if they ran it on alcohol.

Alan

The DeLorean in Back To The Future left two sets of fire in it's wake, so Courtney's car would definitely need new tires after the time travel...Marv & Harry Rifchin would have to wrestle a set of their skins onto her beadlocks......

Now....if you want to introduce a little Hydrazine into the equation..... ~:)~

Don't today's Pro Stock cars and Pro Stock motorcycles both run quicker than a '60's Top Fueler?

Stan

Yes. Power management is the key. Maybe remove the push rods from a couple of cylinders. :)

Stan

Guy's I think we are getting to far away from the thread that was all about preping tracks for racing.

If they are changing the formula at dififerent drag strips for different reasons it really starts to make the tuners job much harder to get a handle on everything.

At least when you are racing on a track with no prep you kind of know what you are getting into.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com
They aren't changing from track to track. They simply reduced the amount of glue in the mix from 75/25 glue alcohol to 65/35. The prep is consistent from track to track. This change was approved by both the team owners and PRO, the Professional Racers Organization that the drivers belong to.

couple questions....
- are the TF'rs easier to tune with new track prep with the huge downforce of rear wing? are they increasing angle of wing elements?)
- will the FC's add rear spoiler to compensate. kinda' go back to amount of wing seen a few years back? or have they already?

Let's not forget, in funny car the header angle was changed for this year too. They're not getting the benefit of the laid back headers, so that's another change the tuners have to adapt to.

I think the technology, which was developed little by little over years, couldn't handle a complete drop back to square one (like when they smoked the tires all the way down)...the multiple disc clutches with their adjustment of clutch weights and fingers has all evolved as the engines and tires have.

In other words, if you dropped Courtney Force and her car into 1960's Lions dragstrip, the old cars would run circles around the new tech.

I doubt it. Looking on Draglist 6.43 was the best quarter mile time from a dragster in 1969. Most of the 60s were much higher than that, the record in 1964 was 7.50! So if we take that 6.43 we are probably looking at like a 5.4-5.5 1000 foot time?
Modern nitro cars have copious amounts of horsepower but they are also extremely tuneable in how you can apply the power. In 2012 when racing returned to Adelaide in Australia, we had Top Fuel cars on an extremely green track that hadn't seen top level racing in a decade. All asphalt and not much rubber at all past 100 feet. The race track was prepped but it's probably the most old school surface I have seen in the modern era. Anyways, I think the quickest time in the first qualifying session was something like a 4.4 or 4.5 over 1000 feet, even smoking the tyres all the way through the top end.

couple questions....
- are the TF'rs easier to tune with new track prep with the huge downforce of rear wing? are they increasing angle of wing elements?)
- will the FC's add rear spoiler to compensate. kinda' go back to amount of wing seen a few years back? or have they already?

I won't use the term easier, but what I will say, the tuning window is larger for the dragster.

I'm not a funny car guy, but I would assume the crew cheifs have moved the spoiler heights and weight on the cars. I wouldn't doubt if some have returned to headers from the pre-header angle days.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back