Jet Competition? (1 Viewer)

Billy

Nitro Member
With the fan popularity of Jet Cars, as well as the advancement of safety features and restrictions within the sport, I'm surprised there hasn't been a more concerted way for the NHRA to sanction Jet Car racing competition, as an inexpensive, supplemental way to support the program at national events? I know there are safety restrictions as to how fast they are allowed to go under Exhibition (320.99 JD, 305.99 JFC). I'm curious as to why there hasn't been more advancement made to allow them to compete in a separate series, that would be extremely popular with fans/casual fans, and adds an additional 300-mph category!
One of the issues I can think of would be track prep; I know there are reasons why jets tend to end the day, and so it would make for a challenging track prep possibly, though that has come a long way.
I'm a long-time fan with a lot of knowledge about the sport, but I'd be curious if there are any reasons out there why this wouldn't work - happy to learn something new - I'm sure there is something obvious I am missing? Or does it really all relate to track prep and driver safety (though it seems like there have been enhancements on Top Fuel/Funny Cars that could be adapted)?
Just curious!

I think the Pro classes are the show & the jets are just an added attraction to end the day. There have been tracks that put on a Jet Car Nationals before. Maybe some track could do that again. That would be a great show to go to. I think Alan would be the one to answer about if the jets would "mess up" the glue.

We always scrape to at least 150' after jets, and a series of drag laps after it is cleaned up. Unlike fuel, methanol or gasoline, the kerosene doesn't evaporate, and softens into the rubber quickly; the only way to really clean it up is to scrape. Usually about 20-30 mins on an average night, but on occasion we have been rebuilding the start line nearly two hours after the run if there's an issue with a leak, etc. No class would run without a proper cleanup after [at a National event at least].

Last edited:
There was an organization of Jet Racer’s that tried a competitive race series back in the early 90’s, but I don’t think it lasted too long. ProJet may have been the name

We always scrape to at least 150' after jets, and a series of drag laps after it is cleaned up. Unlike fuel, methanol or gasoline, the kerosene doesn't evaporate, and softens into the rubber quickly; the only way to really clean it up is to scrape. Usually about 20-30 mins on an average night, but on occasion we have been rebuilding the start line nearly two hours after the run if there's an issue with a leak, etc. No class would run without a proper cleanup after [at a National event at least].
Thank you for this insight - this is the piece of the puzzle that I was missing. It's too bad, because it could be an exciting way to reach another audience and have another way to expand the sport on televsion. But totally understand, this could not be combined with all of the wonderful Sportsman action at an event (which I would hate to lose - I'm a hard core, drinking the Kool-Aid, dyed in the wool NHRA fan).

When I ran junior dragsters, I HATED having jet cars at an event I raced because we would always be the guinea pigs to test out the track after they went down. And it was always ugly. I've been told that they use some different fuel compound now that doesn't completely destroy the track (don't know how much truth there is to that), but this definitely wasn't the case in the 2000's. Even if it is better, you're still only talking one or two exhibition pairs typically. I just don't see a track holding up to an entire class of them without significant down-time after they finish.

Was thinking of when NHRA ran the rocket cars. Once at the old Irwindale, one of the rockets spilled the fuel all over the starting line. (Larry Sutton remembers this) It was a mess! Took them forever to clean up whatever the fuel was - maybe hydrogen peroxide? Also at that race was a match race with Don Garlits and ? (maybe Don Moody). The track was cleaned but one lane was still iffy & Garlits was gonna run the bad lane. Then there was a problem with Garlits' car but he wouldn't shut off, so Larry Sutton put a fire extinguisher in front of Garlits' car & gave him the kill sign. heh Garlits later said he wanted to put on a show for the fans & that is why he didn't shut off. Larry Sutton was the starter at Irwindale, so this was after Lions had closed, maybe 1973??

My thought would be that you would quickly find the rule of unintended consequences come into play.

The show the Jets put on to close the night is spectacular, that's why they are there, to WOW the fans with the "Show"

Picture this, if it's a race, they may determine that the cars will run faster if they don't get so hot, so they would eliminate the burner pops. The smoke doesn't make the car run faster so, Who needs it? And the colored smoke for some is part of the show. Often the competition becomes more important than the spectacle. Right now the Jets are a spectacle in a VERY GOOD way. And fans Love them.

All the Jet Car drivers that I know absolutely LOVE putting on a show. I for one, wouldn't want to change that mindset and make them think about winning the race over WOWing the crowd.

Just my opinion,
Alan

My thought would be that you would quickly find the rule of unintended consequences come into play.

The show the Jets put on to close the night is spectacular, that's why they are there, to WOW the fans with the "Show"

Picture this, if it's a race, they may determine that the cars will run faster if they don't get so hot, so they would eliminate the burner pops. The smoke doesn't make the car run faster so, Who needs it? And the colored smoke for some is part of the show. Often the competition becomes more important than the spectacle. Right now the Jets are a spectacle in a VERY GOOD way. And fans Love them.

All the Jet Car drivers that I know absolutely LOVE putting on a show. I for one, wouldn't want to change that mindset and make them think about winning the race over WOWing the crowd.

Just my opinion,
Alan
Exactly right! The things we miss in the pro cars, like long billowing smokey burnouts, throttle whacks, and dry hops are all unintended consequences of trying to go faster and win races.

Just my opinion,
Alan
Well said Alan, jet cars are there to put on a show and put smiles on faces no matter which scoreboard flashes at the end of the run. Reminds me of the jets vs funny cars at Firebird. I think it was the first drag race I ever went to and nobody cared who won or lost, only who had the biggest flames and the most pops and loudest noise.

While it's true that we really don't care what E.T. the cars run, an event with 16 jets (even 8...) racing "eliminations" would be awesome. The promotor could mandate the "show".

I'd like to know where the purse is going to come from.

From my understanding most of the jets that are at NHRA national events don't get paid to be there.

During my tenure at Englishtown we ran many "Jet Car Nationals" as part of our Wednesday night shows and yes we "kept score" to determine a winner. Due to the noise restrictions jets were not allowed to do "burner pops" so the teams went all-out of the fire & smoke show which left a lot of residue on the track.

Exactly right! The things we miss in the pro cars, like long billowing smokey burnouts, throttle whacks, and dry hops are all unintended consequences of trying to go faster and win races.
this thread is funny in that it has brought comments that directly correlate to what has happened to TF and FC, as nunz and others have alluded.
nhra knows this too. that is why they have been burning nitro and selling tickets at three day national events forever. if competitive drag racing was the only thing the fans wanted,
no one would ever show up on friday and saturday ...... it's the spectacle and the entertainment, which jet cars enhance.

this thread is funny in that it has brought comments that directly correlate to what has happened to TF and FC, as nunz and others have alluded.
nhra knows this too. that is why they have been burning nitro and selling tickets at three day national events forever. if competitive drag racing was the only thing the fans wanted,
no one would ever show up on friday and saturday ...... it's the spectacle and the entertainment, which jet cars enhance.
Friday and Saturday used to be competitive. These days it doesn't mean anything due to small fields but qualifying used to be a tough deal.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back