Kurt Busch In Gainesville? (3 Viewers)

I think it will be great for the sport.

On the other hand, this has to go under the heading of "What is he thinking???". A turbocharged, foot braked super gas car is a first round duck unless someone redlights against him. There isn't a foot brake car that can hit a 4 tenths tree, and a turbocharged engine is anything but consistent.

No kiddin', Don! I can see a steel cage match at the head of the staging lanes when they call first round! They'll be throwin' down to get a shot at that bye run!

On another note, you guys can say all you want about the potential media attention and subsequent gains the sanctioning body has to gain from letting him run without grade points, but that doesn't make it right. There is nothing right about turning down one competitor who, if he/she has grade points, has proven a certain amount of commitment to the sport and deserves the shot over anyone who doesn't have the points, whether it's Kurt Busch or not. I'm not saying don't let him run without the grade points, but I am saying nobody should be turned away who wasn't already going to be.

Sean D

Some of you kill me...lol...

but i have to ask... if some one gave you a $100 bill.. would you complain if it was a new one.. prefering an old one?... or vise versa...????

i love racing of all kinds.. when its good racing.... i prefer drag racing over most all forms.... but even i can admit drag racing is sucking hind tit from almost every other form of racing in the main stream media... only print medias cover the events when they are in town... same for local tv news... any thing else is paid to have in place or is submited constantly till the have room for them to run it in print or broadcast...

i personaly want drag racing to grow strong and prosper... this very well could be a great situation to head in that direction....

Few years ago Tony Stewart introduced many of the Cup guys to their first dirt latemodel event with this special event at Eldora... since then almost everyone of thsoe drivers owns a dirt latemodel team that they race or have some one race on the World of Outlaws tour... those teams have brought exposure to dirt racing to the point that their teams and others are reciveing large sponsorships to race dirt oval...

God forbid Kurt have fun doing this and introduce other guys to the sport and they start new teams and give out of work crew guys or drivers a place to work and compete.. or hook up with a current driver/team to allow them to continue to compete...

Kurt is a past NASCAR points champion.. multi event winner who drives for the most respected man in motorsports around the world.... yes the world.... Roger has the clout to have a company pay him millions of dollars to race in cup and they can't even put their name on the car..... Kurt runs and does half way decent no one can imagine the coverage this will bring.... even a foot note in a place where none was before is a plus people....lol...

Billy

Mayfield is coming too--with 2 new big sponsors--Reynolds Wrap and Bic (lighter division) and Ball fruit jars as an associate sponsor

A friend of mine sent me this letter via email to address some of the comments about Kurt Busch running at the Gators:

I see already some on Nitro Mater are bashing Kurt Bush about his wanting to race Gainesville. Yes, he has no grade points but the sportsmen racers SHOULD be "honored" that he will be bringing MORE ink to the class than they have probably got in the past TEN years?

He certainly makes enough money that he could of started in T/F, F/C or Pro Stock if he wanted, but again they SHOULD be thrilled that he wants to start out in a lower sportsman class like S/G?

I was around him for the whole day Wed. and he was as nice and polite as any Nascar driver I've ever met. Bobby, one thing that he told me that REALLY impressed me is, I asked him if he needed any help getting his rig down to Gainesville (figuring he'd probably fly in on his private jet, as he does have one). I was just being friendly and offering to help. He told me "no, I'm riding down in the truck and trailer, even helping drive the sportsman dually and tag trailer (no semi for him for S/G)! He said he wants to do the whole thing 101, just like all the other sportsman. He also HAS a new luxurious motorcoach, but he IS driving down in the truck and trailer.

I was blown away! I doubt there are ANY other so called "Nascar superstars" that would even consider doing that? Now, shouldn't some of the Nitro Mater doubters "rethink" their opinions of Kurt coming to S/G?

Well said!

...................."Honored"??? "Should be thrilled"??? You gotta be kiddin' me. LMAO!!!!!

My issue is not with Kurt himself. I'm sure he's a hell of a nice guy. My issue is the red carpet being rolled out for him like he's the Pope. It's totally cool that he wants to crossover and play, but there is no reason he can't play by the rules. The Sportsman racers are the foundation of this sport, so show them the respect they deserve. Go play at the required number of divisionals and earn your way into a National event like everyone else has to do. You'll be shocked at the amount of respect you'll get by doing that rather than stepping over the top of them.

I've lost count of all the complaints I've read on here over the years about how our sport is the red-headed stepchild to the almighty NASCAR and with behavior like this, it's no wonder we are. The Adonis-like reception for Mr. Busch is nothing short of school-girl like and quite frankly, embarrassing. Furthermore, and more importantly, to think that by simply adding a personality from another sport will be the second coming of drag racing speaks nothing of the personalities our great sport not only currently has, but has been built on. He is bringing nothing more than his personality to the sport and I happen to think we have some of the more colorful personalities in all of motorsports already. The reason drag racing continues to play second fiddle has nothing to do with the participants so it won't be rectified by a NASCAR star crossing over.

I mean no disrespect to you or your friend, Joe. But the way he worded some of the things in his letter is a little over the top for me. No one person should be "honored" for his or her participation. Thousands of us do it every year.

Flame away.

Sean D

It will bring more viewers for sure. I just wish it was in a Pro Stock car

Kurt needs to either borrow a ride or put his car in comp eliminator which I know he will be at a disatvantage, but this keeps the gas guys happy and he will get more news coverage running later in the day. With no electronics he is out frist round if he borrows a ride in comp he could go a couple depending on how good a car it is. nhra made the grade rules and should not let some one in with out the proper grade level.

And we wonder sometimes why we suck hind tit behind other forms of motorsports or get pre-empted by barefoot hopscotch on ESPN2 ... They don't have grade points in barefoot hopscotch.

And we wonder sometimes why we suck hind tit behind other forms of motorsports or get pre-empted by barefoot hopscotch on ESPN2 ... They don't have grade points in barefoot hopscotch.

you would figure with the loss of funds from lower attendance from the crowds they would open it up to "come one come all".. make a few $$$ on the deal these days....

yes they should open it to everyone and run sportsman qualifing on wednesday and one or to rounds thrusday the rest on friday and saturday finals on sunday. would up car count and bring in more money hopefully.

Do some of you really believe that NASCAR fans have no idea what NHRA drag racing is all about? Are you serious?

The only reason some may not follow drag racing is because they don't care for it. Just like the MAJORITY of folks in the U.S. They don't get it for whatever reason. And that's okay. It has to be because that's the way it is.

I know that pro rodeo exists but I don't follow it because I don't care about horses and cowboys. If Tony Schumacher entered a calf roping competition I can't say that I'd care any more about rodeo than I did before that.

This idea that a roundy round driver running in a sportsman category is somehow going to have a major impact on drag racing gaining new fans just doesn't seem realistic to me.

Bobby,

Your point is well made. Our sport is way too complicated for the novice viewer or fan. That limits growth. Too many classes, too many different rules, it has to be confusing.

yes they should open it to everyone and run sportsman qualifing on wednesday and one or to rounds thrusday the rest on friday and saturday finals on sunday. would up car count and bring in more money hopefully.

Asking the sportsman racers to come in on a Wednesday, which could even mean getting in on Tuesday depending how NHRA would want to park, tech, etc., and make plans to stay until Sunday IF you're in the final pair, would not up the car count. It would be like having to plan for Indy week, every week. Racers don't mind doing it for Indy, as it's Indy, there's class eliminations, it's Labor Day weekend, and many of these racers plan their yearly vacation around that whole week. But given the economy right now, there's no way most of these guys would invest that much time away from work more than a couple times a year.

Sportsman racing is a paradox. The class structure was created to allow many different vehicles to enter and be competitive. Money and hard work by some screwed up the system over time, so the index classes were created. Must have worked because they contain the majority of the entrants at an event.

Then many would enter a national event just to get tickets and a good parking spot. To be honest this happened with all classes including TF and FC. So NHRA started the requirement that you must tech in to receive your tickets. This didn't stop the racers that had been doing this, so they started the grade point system to try and be fair to the entrants that were serious about the sport at multiple venues, and not just interested in their local national event tickets and good parking.

To make the index classes appealing to the masses of spectators, all electronics will be banned. The electronics drag racing industry has done a good job of lobbying NHRA to keep electronics involved. The electronics are the reason for the index class schedules and the reason why the spectators flee the stands when the index classes run. When the index racers want respect they will ban all electronics, it is really that simple.

Bringing recognizable personalities into the drag racing venue has always been good for the sport. It starts with one, and if he/she enjoys themselves, they will bring others. If current participants want to work to make their name recognizable, then they will be afforded more advantages.

Instead of whining, why not make the classes more appealing to spectators, make the participants more well known to the general public by doing the hard PR legwork that is required, and enjoy the benefits you create for your group.

you know it is what it is electronics is here to stay banning it would put people out of work,less sponsor dollars and bring back wheels locked up at the finish line at 150+ mph.

Sportsman racing is a paradox. The class structure was created to allow many different vehicles to enter and be competitive. Money and hard work by some screwed up the system over time, so the index classes were created. Must have worked because they contain the majority of the entrants at an event.

Then many would enter a national event just to get tickets and a good parking spot. To be honest this happened with all classes including TF and FC. So NHRA started the requirement that you must tech in to receive your tickets. This didn't stop the racers that had been doing this, so they started the grade point system to try and be fair to the entrants that were serious about the sport at multiple venues, and not just interested in their local national event tickets and good parking.

To make the index classes appealing to the masses of spectators, all electronics will be banned. The electronics drag racing industry has done a good job of lobbying NHRA to keep electronics involved. The electronics are the reason for the index class schedules and the reason why the spectators flee the stands when the index classes run. When the index racers want respect they will ban all electronics, it is really that simple.

Bringing recognizable personalities into the drag racing venue has always been good for the sport. It starts with one, and if he/she enjoys themselves, they will bring others. If current participants want to work to make their name recognizable, then they will be afforded more advantages.

Instead of whining, why not make the classes more appealing to spectators, make the participants more well known to the general public by doing the hard PR legwork that is required, and enjoy the benefits you create for your group.

Thanks Virgil, Good post and I agree with you 100%

Virgil, You hit the nail on the head. You are so right. Your post is by far one of the best I have read on this board in quite some time.

Dave

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back