Kinda makes changing the points system seem ill timed (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
Per Darrel Waltrip:

Drag drama: If NASCAR wants to create some excitement, they ought to take a look at the NHRA championship this year. Tony Schumacher beat Doug Kalitta, and it was probably the greatest comeback of all time in drag racing, maybe in all of motorsports. And it was all about performance. Schumacher had to outrun Kalitta every week. He had to set a new world record to get 20 bonus points in order to win the championship, and it came down to the last race and the last round. That's drama.

hmmmmmmm..............:)

Do we need more evidence?

This is a PERFECT example of why the NHRA needs to realize that we have a unique sport and it doesnt need a contrived points system that mirrors the NASCAR folks. If this quote by Darrell Waltrip isnt enough then I dont know what is?

I just wish that the NHRA would ask its teams for some feedback on possible rule changes before they go ahead and make those changes. I realize the need for some kind of media buzz created around certain events, but at the expense of ticking off team owners and sponsors?? I think not!

Just my .02

I do not need reality TV to show me reality.
And I feel that we don't need posed and scripted drama in a points chase to have drama in a points chase. I think the real thing is always better than posed and scripted fallacies.

I think we are stuck with it for at least a year or two. It will take that long to see if it has the desired results and then find a graceful way to drop it. Let’s hope they don't do a "Funny Car of the future" too.;)

Dan

Last edited:
I think we are stuck with it for at least a year or two. It will take that long to see if it has the desired results and then find a graceful way to drop it. Let’s hope they don't do a "Funny Car of the future" too.;)

Dan

I think you're right Dan. They'd look pretty foolish dropping it now after all the hoohah associated with the announcement at Indy.

Per Darrel Waltrip:

Drag drama: If NASCAR wants to create some excitement, they ought to take a look at the NHRA championship this year. Tony Schumacher beat Doug Kalitta, and it was probably the greatest comeback of all time in drag racing, maybe in all of motorsports. And it was all about performance. Schumacher had to outrun Kalitta every week. He had to set a new world record to get 20 bonus points in order to win the championship, and it came down to the last race and the last round. That's drama.

hmmmmmmm..............:)

That's BS IMO

The coolest part about the whole deal is that Darrel Waltrip follows the NHRA!

I'm glad to know it ain't just us that think Drag Racing is the sh!t!

I knew that I always liked good ol' DW for a reason. :D He hit the nail right on the head. That final race had to be the best one ever - in any motorsport.

Did NHRA say that they would evaluate the new system following next year? I hope so and I truly wish they'd garner more input from the all teams involved rather than just a few. I think they know how many of the fans feel (and simply choose to ignore them).

Linda
aka Fast455

If anyone really looked at this season, These past 2 Seasons were Stellar Seasons.

I must state that rating these last few years, it has become a most desirable sport to follow for the true racing fan............of any type.

Pretty much you have your leaders (Troxel & Capps) Who OWNED this years first half. Only to have an upstart rookie ( no offence JR,you know I love ya kid !! ) take out the Sarge, not once but twice when it counted and severed the point claiming race ( between Tony & Doug), And the rookie from the Force BattleStar Robert Hight Give a great perfrmance this year, ( This Kid is destined to Star Status, Hell, he is already there!!)

Jason Line takes out the Signature on the Paycheck to Kick the Boss' Butt in ProStock. The Finals in Pro Bike was as much a surprise as was last years Funny Car Class.

Last year Scelzi & Capps were the Hot Darts, Aiming at the FORCE.

Schumacher Ran away with the points and Owned last year, but the Year Prior was a late bloomer as played out similar to this year/ second half glory.

The Races for FC was a three way this year, and you had three big " Really Bad Ass " racers taking it to the wire last year. Force was a contender for the wally last year, But got shut down and had his wires grounded in the finals. Ron The bridesmaid again, taken down hard this year after a stellar first half. (Dood, you Got it going On!! You are the Star, Man!)

I saw a simular look from Doug this year as I did from last year from Gary. (" What the hell just happened!")

The Stellar "HAIL MARY PASS" from A.J. in the Final.
AJ you are DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

I read here, that there are some that feel that Mel Dove for Tony. Ha-ha-ha-ha, that is the most stupid thought. If she won big deal, if she lost big deal, he had to do the record. It came down to that!

My Final thought is "THIS IS DRAG RACING, RUN WHAT YA BRUNG!!"

NHRA -
THINK OF US WHEN YOU DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is it RIGHT??If you can add to the excititement GREAT, If it isn't really adding anything, or worst yet, detracting from the sport, DROP IT!

Are You WRONG???

Two wrongs...

1. Darrel Waltrip saying ANYTHING. He's the worst commentator in motorsports, including Paul Page.

2. NHRA doing anything right. There are things in NHRA racing that need fixing. The pro points system wasn't one of them. Not even close.

Well with all the brain power in Glendora the best they could come up with is "monkey see, monkey do".

Dan

If the NHRA doesn't admit that the current points system isn't broken before next year, I doubt they will ever change back. The reason I say that is because the new system WILL accomplish what it is intended to do. And that is to stop runaway points leaders. The only people who will be complaining are the teams and their fans who would have finished higher with the old (correct) system.

If the NHRA doesn't admit that the current points system isn't broken before next year, I doubt they will ever change back. The reason I say that is because the new system WILL accomplish what it is intended to do. And that is to stop runaway points leaders. The only people who will be complaining are the teams and their fans who would have finished higher with the old (correct) system.

You know what? You’re probably correct. No more runaway point’s leaders and the championships will be forever decided in Pomona.

Dan

Out'a go back to the original scheme - winner of the Finals was the champ, regardless of what happened the rest of the season - that's the way the ADRL does it with their "Battle for the Belt" championship event. All the season points do is set up the ladder for championship eliminations. Maybe NASCAR will copy it, line up the final race of the season by points, winner takes all.

Now there's a format that guarantees a close finish, right down to the final pair in every eliminator!!

Out'a go back to the original scheme - winner of the Finals was the champ, regardless of what happened the rest of the season - that's the way the ADRL does it with their "Battle for the Belt" championship event. All the season points do is set up the ladder for championship eliminations. Maybe NASCAR will copy it, line up the final race of the season by points, winner takes all.

Now there's a format that guarantees a close finish, right down to the final pair in every eliminator!!

wooohh.. that sounds Interesting.....:cool:

wooohh.. that sounds Interesting.....:cool:

Yeah it was... but only had the winters, spring, summers, and Indy as National events... everything else was Divisional points meets...

so now we need 8 divisions, only top two from each division goes, only the 4 national events and Indy pays double points again and whoever wins the finals is the champ...

oh yeah, if your gonna stop the clocks with the front bumper, then stage the car with the front bumper....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back