Kalitta Loses Mac Tools (1 Viewer)

My biggest problem with the NHRA suits right now is their lack of acknowledgement of a problem....of any kind. Every other sanctioning body has acknowledged the world's economical problems, sharing the lose of sponsors, teams, etc with their fans. NHRA has, to this point, ignored the whole thing like it's not really happening. In the meantime, its racers and teams are dropping like flies. NASCAR has laid off staff, so have other sanctioning bodies, but NHRA still sits there with their fat salaries doing nothing.

IMHO, they should rework the schedule so the racers don't have to criss-cross the country so many times, thus saving diesel and gas. They're going to have to cut gate prices or not have any butts in the seats, what with so many people out of work. Making the races two-day events for the Pros would save money too.

I just think it would be nice if NHRA acted like they had a clue what was happening.

I just think it would be nice if NHRA acted like they had a clue what was happening.

In short, I guess that's what I was getting at. As long as their livelihood's don't change, what's the incentive? However, if they felt the pain along with everyone else, I'd say the outlook/response would be a little different.

Sean D

Although I agree with Jim, PJ, Mikaela and others that this isn't necessarily NHRA's fault, I also think Bob makes as good a point as any.

The sanctioning body doesn't exactly create a sponsor friendly environment, unless, of course, you're one of the fortunate exclusives. That topic alone is reason enough for a separate discussion on its own, and has been in more arenas than just Nitromater. Furthermore, the unwillingness of the brass to share in the economic downturn at the expense of the very folks that provide the show is pitiful and completely unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. This isn't like a factory, where you have a virtual endless pool of talent to continue to pull from as folks come and go. That being said, the sanctioning body ought to be damn glad the pros don't realize and/or have the balls to actually act upon the power they actually have. It's not like there is a surplus of teams to start with, so if they go......................

It's been mentioned a number of times on other threads about the possible return of match racing with the modern teams and a strengthening of the nostalgia movement, both of which are things I hope like hell happen. Again, I don't think this whole deal is NHRA's fault, necessarily, but at the same time, the sanctioning body feeling some pain of its own wouldn't hurt a damn thing.

Sean D

Oh don't get me wrong I do strongly believe that they have dealt poorly with sponsors and have excluded far too many. With the current state of the economy I can't blame the mass exodeous of sponors FULLY on them. But I do think that their mishandling is a part of the problem

I keep seeing people post how NHRA is sponsor-unfriendly. You guys know that NHRA was rated #1 overall in sponsor satisfaction over EVERY other major sports sanctioning body right? This includes Nascar, NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. Not only that, but just because you don't know about it doesn't mean that NHRA isn't making cuts already and tightening their belts. Not every company announces their business decisions to the world, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that NHRA has kept quiet, it's been their MO for years.

You guys know that NHRA was rated #1 overall in sponsor satisfaction over EVERY other major sports sanctioning body right? This includes Nascar, NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.

Rated #1 by who?

Even if these ratings were done by an entity that actually has some merit, they don't mean a hell of a lot unless the sponsors surveyed had advertising dollars invested in more than one venue. After all, if sponsor X surveyed is a major sponsor in the NHRA and is completely satisfied, yet hasn't spent a dime in NASCAR, the NFL, MLB, NBA or whatever for comparison, then the information really doesn't mean anything when they're being rated over or under another advertising venue. The very latest point to that would be CAT. They drop Fuller, yet remain in NASCAR. They were playing in both venues, so that move tells me a lot, especially when you consider how much more they'll be paying to play over there. I would also invite you to contact some of the energy drink execs, Monster in particular, and see how they feel about NHRA's sponsor friendliness. Or worse yet, Mickey Thompson and Hoosier. Hell, these folks have supported the sanctioning body in a number of ways for a long time, yet they get sh!t on with this latest spec tire deal for Pro Stock fiasco.

I admire your willingness to stand with the NHRA on all of this, respect it, actually. It's just not my position. As good as the sanctioning body may actually be, there is not only room for improvement, there is obvious room for improvement. And as long as they continue to institute policy they're not even close to being in a position to institute, then they're always going to be the apple trying to emulate the orange.

Sean D

NHRA was rated #1 by Street & Smith's Sports Business Journal, so yeah I would say they have some merit. The point is that NHRA sponsors are happier than Nascar/NFL/NBA/etc. I never said NHRA was perfect or that there is no room for improvement, just that NHRA is doing it better than everyone else. In a year where every major sanctioning body has seen declines in attendance and TV ratings, NHRA has either increased or stayed flat. Attendance matched last year, which was a record year for NHRA. TV ratings are up 11% and number of households are up 15%.

And I will say it again, just because the good folk on Nitromater haven't seen it reported all over the internet doesn't mean that NHRA isn't making cuts and taking action to make sure that we have a full season of drag racing next year.

In my work people occasionally ask me where I'm from. As soon as I say Bristol, many will soon joke "Can you get me Bristol tickets?" As far as I know it's the most sold out and hard to get tickets for track on the NASCAR tour. I've heard many times about hotels being booked for years in advance.

I don't keep up with it but, whatever is their next race ISN'T sold out already and my girlfriend says they were even talking about it on the news. She thinks they said it's the first time in 57 straight races.

Correction. This article says 53.

Downturn gives Bristol-loving fans a chance at The Ticket

"This really illustrates how no one is immune to what's happening in all of sports,"

"If it's hitting Bristol in a way that it could affect attendance, there is no greater illustration" of the economic downturn's impact,

By the way, on a dare she passed another car on that track as we went around it during Speedway In Lights! :D

Last edited:
In a year where every major sanctioning body has seen declines in attendance and TV ratings, NHRA has either increased or stayed flat. Attendance matched last year, which was a record year for NHRA.

Attendance according to who? The NHRA doesn't release attendance figures. At almost every National Event I've ever attended I've heard over the PA about a "record crowd" in attendance. We've gotten to where we laugh when hear it.

Attendance according to who? The NHRA doesn't release attendance figures. At almost every National Event I've ever attended I've heard over the PA about a "record crowd" in attendance. We've gotten to where we laugh when hear it.
Sports Business Journal - NHRA recovers for successful '08

NHRA's profits would also be a good indication as well since the majority of their income comes from ticket sales. I know it's hard to believe and everyone just loves to bash NHRA, but they get a lot more right than they are given credit for.

add a race a season and attendance should go up.... if it just equals the previous season, you've lost that amount at the other races...

but, having said that... I think Richmond is due for a few more Seats...

d'kid

NHRA was rated #1 by Street & Smith's Sports Business Journal, so yeah I would say they have some merit. The point is that NHRA sponsors are happier than Nascar/NFL/NBA/etc. I never said NHRA was perfect or that there is no room for improvement, just that NHRA is doing it better than everyone else. In a year where every major sanctioning body has seen declines in attendance and TV ratings, NHRA has either increased or stayed flat. Attendance matched last year, which was a record year for NHRA. TV ratings are up 11% and number of households are up 15%.

And I will say it again, just because the good folk on Nitromater haven't seen it reported all over the internet doesn't mean that NHRA isn't making cuts and taking action to make sure that we have a full season of drag racing next year.

Then if that's true why did UPS continue to sponsor a NASCAR team and dumb the Drag race team? ;)
Maybe they need to read that Street & Smiths report huh....LOL
Don't trust everything you read and only half of what you see. :rolleyes:

Then if that's true why did UPS continue to sponsor a NASCAR team and dumb the Drag race team? ;)
Maybe they need to read that Street & Smiths report huh....LOL
Don't trust everything you read and only half of what you see. :rolleyes:
NHRA is a better deal, but that doesn't mean they reach the same amount of people. Nascar still has better TV and ratings no matter how much sponsors love NHRA.

You should also remember that UPS is still involved with NHRA, they just aren't sponsoring Vandy. There is also no telling how much they cut their Nascar budget. You think we have it bad, Nascar is a bloodbath like you wouldn't believe. Teams that were turning down money last year are parked for next season. Even the big teams are making major cuts everywhere they can. Nascar is getting hit a lot harder than NHRA is.

add a race a season and attendance should go up.... if it just equals the previous season, you've lost that amount at the other races...

but, having said that... I think Richmond is due for a few more Seats...

d'kid
Assuming that they didn't account for an extra race, if you back out 90,000 estimated fans from Charlotte, you get a 4-6% drop in attendance over a record previous year. Depending on who you believe, Nascar was down anywhere from 20-25%.

We can nitpick details all week long, but that still doesn't change the basic fact that NHRA was up or near even when sports across the board were down in a big way.

NHRA is a better deal, but that doesn't mean they reach the same amount of people. Nascar still has better TV and ratings no matter how much sponsors love NHRA.

You should also remember that UPS is still involved with NHRA, they just aren't sponsoring Vandy. There is also no telling how much they cut their Nascar budget. You think we have it bad, Nascar is a bloodbath like you wouldn't believe. Teams that were turning down money last year are parked for next season. Even the big teams are making major cuts everywhere they can. Nascar is getting hit a lot harder than NHRA is.

It's not a better deal it's just cheaper! ;)

Assuming that they didn't account for an extra race, if you back out 90,000 estimated fans from Charlotte, you get a 4-6% drop in attendance over a record previous year. Depending on who you believe, Nascar was down anywhere from 20-25%.

We can nitpick details all week long, but that still doesn't change the basic fact that NHRA was up or near even when sports across the board were down in a big way.

I promise you it won't be this year!

I'd be surprised if numbers were up. the last 2 years there has been more empty seats than I remember, especially at Indy. And didn't they block off large sections of the stands at the finals? maybe increase in ticket prices has helped cover the lost people and pulled up the bottom line

Sports Business Journal - NHRA recovers for successful '08

NHRA's profits would also be a good indication as well since the majority of their income comes from ticket sales. I know it's hard to believe and everyone just loves to bash NHRA, but they get a lot more right than they are given credit for.

And where do they get their figures? The NHRA....please.

" Attendance has been flat against a record-setting year in 2007 when other forms of racing, namely NASCAR, are seeing declining numbers."

This with an innaugural event which always has great attendance.

"The Countdown solidified its place as the NHRA’s championship platform."

Even though most apparently don't like it. Have you seen the polls?
And maybe they shouldn't have mentioned Catepillar.

Man, I take a little internet absence for the holidays and this doom and gloom is what I return too? Lol...

Let me lighten up the conversation a bit. This quote is from the assistant VP of strategic sponosrship for a major company that is involved in not only motorsports but stick and ball sports as well and hits the nail squarely on the head...those that recognize this opportunity and capitalize on it are going to be stronger when the tide turns and the companies that decide to withdraw from sponsorships will never be able to catch up.

"The bottom line is we still have consumers. Sponsorships still afford us one of the best ways to have a dialogue with them around something they are passionate about, and we plan to continue to do that."

"If you look at companies that are large and successful today, they're ususally the ones who stayed in the marketing arena through downturns. the people who didn't, don't usually catch back up again."

The point is that yes, like many individual Americans, many companies have not prepared, nor is their business plan good enough, to tackle and survive the tough economic times. There are however, companies and individuals that do have a better handle on what is happening, prepared for it, and will not only survive, but THRIVE because of it.

The number one rule in sales, whether introducing a new product or competing for market share is ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE! right now the smart companies that will survive this and flourish are the ones that subscribe to that philosophy.

What I'm Finding Funny here, and it did just dawn on me, a lot of the 'NASCAR' (johnny come lately)fans, at least at work, from 5 years ago... are now clueless because UFC is now the 'hot lick'...

Personally, I STOPPED watching NASCAR after the '98 season, I stopped listening on MRN after '99... and I went to my first Grand National race at Riverside the Year of the Fairlanes, '66 or '67...

One thing I've always loved about Drag Racing is that it has never become the "Hot Lick"...

The Sport Must Grow to Survive? Nope, the sport must stop trying to be the 'in thing'... MLB, NFL, NBA, NASCAR all suffer from the same thing, they got too big... and the fans got jaded...

We're in the Downturn now because Businesses expanded into realms they had no business being in... GMAC, Ford Credit? That's like a carpenter holding the paper on the house you live in...

But It's strange how both Drag Racing and NASCAR grew without Corporate Sponsors, and how, in NASCAR, the sponsors the average fan could support with their back pocket got priced out of the 'game'... those that can afford it, aren't reaching their target...

Now, in Drag Racing... Folgers vs Maxwell House, Coca-cola vs Pepsi, Rockstar vs Monster, or Red Bull, or Vegas Fuel, McDonalds vs Burger King or Taco Bell, or In & Out, or DQ...

I think UPS realized the average fan does not control small package shipping, and those of us that do, are not going to make that decision based on a race car sponsorship... but UPS over the last ten years HAS bought some of the best companys in the business... yet it is surprising just how much DHL is bringing in and taking out of the country to both Europe, and the middle/far EAST.

Overall, I believe the the Companys that could get the best RoI can't play, for money reasons right now, or environment of the marketed sport, and those that could play, financially, have to look at the fan base, very hard and ask themselves; "What's in it for us, are these the decision makers or not? And why haven't they, themselves invested in advertising here?"

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back