Kalitta Loses Mac Tools (1 Viewer)

StarLink Now $299

Maybe the match race/show circuit will eventually come around? Run a funny car vs. dragster best of 3; or handocap a Top Fueler against a PSB; or longest burnout contest. Let's get some good promoters out there, get some charities involved, maybe some local car clubs and bands, a fireworks display, maybe some local restaraunts to bring in food, and some celebrity street-car match races....... combine it all for a night of thunder & entertainment at any race track out there.... ???? Heck man we have to start thinking outside of the box. I too don't point blame soley at Glendora, and I don't expect a one-stop magical solution from them or anybody else.

maybe the time is coming when we will see the big names of the sport
competing in same/similar 16 car fields NOT sanctioned by nhra.
nhra is not a franchise, why the exclusivity to the major teams?

People forget that the "rich" are the one's who do the hiring and employ people. The media has turned the words "successful, rich, etc." into "evil, bad, selfish" by creating this class warfair. I doubt anyone here that works for someone or a company doesn't wish for them to be successful. And their success doesn't take away from anyone else's ability to be successful.

Right now the "rich" are feeling the pinch and are having to deal with it in ways they hoped would never happen. Ask Connie how many employees Kalitta Air has had to let go during the downturn.

Well said.

I have both Snap-On and Mac-Tools, come to the place I work. They both say times are bad, money for racing is very very tight. Now we know why Dave and Hillary will sit out 2009, and Doug will race a limited schedule.
The economy and 1000ft. will combine to make 2009 a lackluster year.

maybe the time is coming when we will see the big names of the sport
competing in same/similar 16 car fields NOT sanctioned by nhra.
nhra is not a franchise, why the exclusivity to the major teams?

....nhra has the tv package...It matters to fewer as each day passes...

CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG...BUT....

Q: wasnt Connies Mac sponsorship a "1/2 meal deal" anyways...I understood Macs $$ was about 10 races worth...Is Macs nose out of joint because their sponsorship wont be subsidized by the owner...As in years past...???:confused:

Stanley is a GIGANTIC company, probably bigger than some of you realize. They own so many subsidiaries and sub-companies it's amazing. But I can vouch for my brother, who works for one of those companies... they ARE cutting back everywhere; not just with advertising budgets. They've already announced no 401k match for 2009. Sure this all sucks, and it certainly isn't only drag racing that it's happening to. The US is re-writing history right now.

I worked for one of those Stanley divisions as well until they sold us this year. They are cutting back big time!

On the list of Stanley companies and the contribution to the bottom line MAC Tools was never one of the solid performers.

I believe what he meant is that Mac is still going to send money to the NHRA corporate office, not to the racers. Mac will still sponsor several races and the NHRA. I don't know about you, but it is starting to get to me that the NHRA is still piling in money from companies like Mac, UPS and some others yet the racers are left to fund their cars out of their own pockets. I wonder, given their reputation of stealing sponsors, what Compton, Light and the rest are saying behind the racers backs.:mad:

Aaron, since you've made a public accusation about Tom Compton, Graham Light, and the NHRA, I'd like to hear some facts from you, such as numbers, dates, conversations, contracts, etc. Facts Aaron, not Nitromater-driven gossip, assumptions, rumors, speculation, or heresay.

this is insane! w.j/k.j , rod fuller, doug kalitta, doug herbert ect ect. some of the biggest names in our sport might sit out. something has to be done, combine nhra and ihra? get rid of top fuel and make it all funny cars to run a 32 car field? not sure what the answer is but if things dont change attendance will be WAY down! no attendance- no racing!

i'm not suggesting nhra has a role in guys losing their sponsors, but what frustrates me is that there is no mention of these losses on their website. they almost seem to be ignoring the problem. and while teams' sponsors aren't the nhra's problem, they actually are. no sponsors = no racers= no show = food stamps for graham and tom.

some of you are pooh-poohing the nhra's role here. they should be far more concerned than they have shown publicly thus far.

if 1000ft wasn't the dagger, 8 car fields will be....

Without the Kalitta cars, I'm less than enthused about next year. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way it stands right now, the only T/F drivers that will be racing a full schedule in 2009 are Dixon, Schumacher, Bernstein, Massey & Lucas ...and even that isn't for sure. What's to stop Budweiser, US Army, and US Tobacco from pulling out?

Losing the sponsorship not withstanding, if Kalitta is going to run the Funny Car for the "full pull" as I heard previously, stuff Doug in that car. There's nothing quite like a former sprint car champ behind the butterfly of a funny car. Let the pedal fests begin.

Jeff Arend drives the funny car. Another thing I was thinking about all this sponsorship jazz....If you can't get someone to take the full package (24 races, full car, rigs, hospitality, uniforms, etc, etc), how about going after the individual local markets and trying to get some associate backing at each venue? Case in point, David Grubnic and the St. Louis Carpenters Union. No, it won't cover all your expenses for the weekend. But, atleast it's something contributing to the bottom line. I would think that at some of the FTDRS event markets, it might be a little easier than others. Places like Denver, Brainerd that might only see 2 or 3 marquee events all year and have very few competing racing series' nearby....... it would take alot of leg work, but you'd think you could squeeze some marketing dollars out of the locals for these national events. ???

So the real question here is what do you expect NHRA to do about this? Sponsors aren't pulling out because NHRA is holding out and stashing money away...our country is facing something that cannot be fixed by sponsorships in the NHRA. Sure, some people could take a paycut and that would add a little bit more money to the pot but where do you expect this to go? If you think adding it to winnings theres only one small problem: the car has to be able to run in order to win an event.

To be honest, as sad as it is to see drivers losing sponsorships, I don't expect anything else. Just like many of you have stated about attending races for 2009, if you have the money you'll go. Well its the same case here- if the companies have the money they will sponsor rides. The point is they don't have any money!!! As much as the NHRA drives me nuts at times, this is not their fault.
I don't post here often, but this is the post of the year in my vote! Finally, somebody that understands.

I work for a Fortune 50 corporation and in the last 3 months I have seen co-workers lose thier jobs but many of those who remained still walk around like nothing has changed. They still B.S. around the water cooler in the morning and make no attempt to show added value to thier employer/organization. What most do not seem to get is that as long as the downturn continues, each of our jobs becomes just a bit more vulnerable.

Most folks (especially the younger crowd) don't understand this is far bigger than you or me. In December, another 500k Americans will get pink slips. That's 1.5 million in the 4th quarter with no sign that this won't continue well into 2009. Does anyone, besides me, understand the magnitude of that? We haven't reached bottom yet and nobody knows what that might be. Those that are (or will become) unemployed, may likely be that way for some time or they will likely be in a job they never imagined just to make ends meet. Where can they go? Believe me, race attendance will suffer in all forms of sports and entertainment. People are now starting to spend money on what they need instead of what they want.

Corporations are looking to reserve cash. That's the only way they will survive. Those that do survive will be stronger as they will have found ways to cut costs, manage inventory, conserve cash and do more with less. Unfortunately, people are a big piece of that, it's a fact of business. If you're getting up each morning to go to work, you really should take a second and be thankful.

It's ridiculous to blame NHRA or any corporation pulling out of racing. In fact, it's quite selfish and even a bit ignorant. There's nothing NHRA could do in a corporate board room to change these company's minds. Again, it is a matter of conserving cash as sponsorships are an expense with very little ROI ... period! There's a Stanley plant 20 miles from my house, layoffs. 3M in my state cut 80 jobs 2 weeks ago (2,800 nationwide). Look at GM, Chrysler and Ford. IF, they survive it will only be due to a massive restructuring, not bailout money. How about GE and Whirlpool? Whirlpool (Force Associate sponsor) is throttling plants worldwide and will only run production 2 of the next 8 weeks. When people don't build homes, the NEW appliance market nosedives. Those of us buying replacement items area small piece. GE is looking to sell its appliance business as they claim it's a loser.

If you think Pro fields will be fine next year ... I think you are extremely optimistic. Most team owners are business men and I doubt few of them would fund teams out of thier own pockets. They're feeling the crunch too. Do you think Schumacher Electric is overflowing with work? I doubt it. We obviously know the affect on David Powers. The new home construction market is dead. A lot of you need to look at this realistically, not selfishly. Very well known, profitable companies will default in '09.

Not trying to paint doom and gloom, but merely trying to highlight how silly we sound complaining about race car drivers losing thier job because the gravy train (sponsor) made a business decision in the best interest of itself and its many employees. You can't bury your head in the sand and wish this away. Believe me, I want NHRA Drag Racing to thrive, but reality is that when this crisis is finally over (whenever that may be), the American business landscape (including NHRA) may look nothing like we've grown accustomed.

I don't post here often, but this is the post of the year in my vote! Finally, somebody that understands.

I work for a Fortune 50 corporation and in the last 3 months I have seen co-workers lose thier jobs but many of those who remained still walk around like nothing has changed. They still B.S. around the water cooler in the morning and make no attempt to show added value to thier employer/organization. What most do not seem to get is that as long as the downturn continues, each of our jobs becomes just a bit more vulnerable.

Most folks (especially the younger crowd) don't understand this is far bigger than you or me. In December, another 500k Americans will get pink slips. That's 1.5 million in the 4th quarter with no sign that this won't continue well into 2009. Does anyone, besides me, understand the magnitude of that? We haven't reached bottom yet and nobody knows what that might be. Those that are (or will become) unemployed, may likely be that way for some time or they will likely be in a job they never imagined just to make ends meet. Where can they go? Believe me, race attendance will suffer in all forms of sports and entertainment. People are now starting to spend money on what they need instead of what they want.

Corporations are looking to reserve cash. That's the only way they will survive. Those that do survive will be stronger as they will have found ways to cut costs, manage inventory, conserve cash and do more with less. Unfortunately, people are a big piece of that, it's a fact of business. If you're getting up each morning to go to work, you really should take a second and be thankful.

It's ridiculous to blame NHRA or any corporation pulling out of racing. In fact, it's quite selfish and even a bit ignorant. There's nothing NHRA could do in a corporate board room to change these company's minds. Again, it is a matter of conserving cash as sponsorships are an expense with very little ROI ... period! There's a Stanley plant 20 miles from my house, layoffs. 3M in my state cut 80 jobs 2 weeks ago (2,800 nationwide). Look at GM, Chrysler and Ford. IF, they survive it will only be due to a massive restructuring, not bailout money. How about GE and Whirlpool? Whirlpool (Force Associate sponsor) is throttling plants worldwide and will only run production 2 of the next 8 weeks. When people don't build homes, the NEW appliance market nosedives. Those of us buying replacement items area small piece. GE is looking to sell its appliance business as they claim it's a loser.

If you think Pro fields will be fine next year ... I think you are extremely optimistic. Most team owners are business men and I doubt few of them would fund teams out of thier own pockets. They're feeling the crunch too. Do you think Schumacher Electric is overflowing with work? I doubt it. We obviously know the affect on David Powers. The new home construction market is dead. A lot of you need to look at this realistically, not selfishly. Very well known, profitable companies will default in '09.

Not trying to paint doom and gloom, but merely trying to highlight how silly we sound complaining about race car drivers losing thier job because the gravy train (sponsor) made a business decision in the best interest of itself and its many employees. You can't bury your head in the sand and wish this away. Believe me, I want NHRA Drag Racing to thrive, but reality is that when this crisis is finally over (whenever that may be), the American business landscape (including NHRA) may look nothing like we've grown accustomed.

Sorry Jim, what YOU just said is the post of the year! I couldn't agree more, good post! Sad but true.

So the real question here is what do you expect NHRA to do about this? Sponsors aren't pulling out because NHRA is holding out and stashing money away...our country is facing something that cannot be fixed by sponsorships in the NHRA. Sure, some people could take a paycut and that would add a little bit more money to the pot but where do you expect this to go? If you think adding it to winnings theres only one small problem: the car has to be able to run in order to win an event.

To be honest, as sad as it is to see drivers losing sponsorships, I don't expect anything else. Just like many of you have stated about attending races for 2009, if you have the money you'll go. Well its the same case here- if the companies have the money they will sponsor rides. The point is they don't have any money!!! As much as the NHRA drives me nuts at times, this is not their fault.

Since someone thinks this is the post of the year I will try to put it into perspective!
NHRA can make it a friendlier environment for competition by removing the exclusive contracts that only seem to benefit NHRA and the Company that gets that label it's very simple!
Competitors have lost sponsorships because of it example: Monster and Rock Star come to mind because Full Throttle holds the exclusive title. Some one on here stated that you have to sponsor a car to obtain that title. He is right they have to so the question arises how can UPS have the title since pulling out of sponsoring a team?
NHRA can ease the strain by relaxing its posture and actively help teams seek future sponsors and help the teams court those potential clients. It’s also a well know fact that teams that had sponsorships close to closing a deal and NHRA got wind of it and got them to sponsor events instead of the team that kind of posturing isn’t going to help the teams now is it? I don't mean to beat a dead horse but our economy is so bad the worse still to come. Owners that use to supplement the cost by paying out of pocket cannot or refuse to continue that practice and are left with no choice but to park their teams. Perfect case and point is what is currently happening to team Kalitta and Ken Black.
Connie is a very rich man but everybody’s pockets are getting shallower so he has to make a business decision!

<snip...>

Not trying to paint doom and gloom...

I think 1 post qualifies as "don't post here often" :)

On the other side of "doom and gloom", remember that unemployment is 6% or so (working toward 7% to be sure). While I don't want to minimize the terror associated with losing one's job, it's important that everyone remembers that this means that over 93% of Americans have a job.

Just as "irrational exuberance" (people looking at everything with rose-colored glasses) led to the dot-com and housing bubbles, "doom and gloom" can make things worse. Hoarding your money and running around in a panic becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Clearly people and companies need to be careful and conservative, but please everybody, we all need to remain calm and remember that economies are cyclical -- this too shall pass. We'll have a fun summer of drag racing (admittedly with fewer teams), nitro cars will still be loud and cool, sportsman racing will still be where the largest number of people have smiles on their faces, someone will win the championship, and life will go on.

Back to your normally scheduled mayhem...

while I certainly do not agree with how nhra has handeled sponsors in the past, (chasing away compnaies and such) they do not deserve the entire blame for whats going on now. it does suck and maybe if they had been more invitig some of these companies would stay however with the current economic times these cuts are bound to happen and yes it sucks

What's the fortune 50? Did 450 of them go under? ;) :p

Although I agree with Jim, PJ, Mikaela and others that this isn't necessarily NHRA's fault, I also think Bob makes as good a point as any.

The sanctioning body doesn't exactly create a sponsor friendly environment, unless, of course, you're one of the fortunate exclusives. That topic alone is reason enough for a separate discussion on its own, and has been in more arenas than just Nitromater. Furthermore, the unwillingness of the brass to share in the economic downturn at the expense of the very folks that provide the show is pitiful and completely unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. This isn't like a factory, where you have a virtual endless pool of talent to continue to pull from as folks come and go. That being said, the sanctioning body ought to be damn glad the pros don't realize and/or have the balls to actually act upon the power they actually have. It's not like there is a surplus of teams to start with, so if they go......................

It's been mentioned a number of times on other threads about the possible return of match racing with the modern teams and a strengthening of the nostalgia movement, both of which are things I hope like hell happen. Again, I don't think this whole deal is NHRA's fault, necessarily, but at the same time, the sanctioning body feeling some pain of its own wouldn't hurt a damn thing.

Sean D

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back