Kalitta and mythbusters (1 Viewer)

I think that is a rerun and it couldn't do it!
Adam and Jamie are like kids in a candy store they are a hoot the crazy Bay Area Boy's is what we refer to them around here. I have been to their shop numerous times they have the equipment to build just about anything you can think of it really cool.

They used a smaller engine. Don't know what type, but it looked to be a CJ-610 or JT12D. Those engines only make 2800 and 3300 lb thrust respectively. (standard day, 100% power, I'm too brainfried to get into specifics.

A 747 Classic with Pratt & Whitney JT9D engines makes about 50,000 lb per engine.

I saw a United Airlines training video where a 767-200 blew a truck being towed behind it into SFO Bay. I don't know how much thrust they were pulling from the Boeing to blow it over, but same basic engine type on both aircraft.

I've also got an American Airlines Pilot Operating Handbook for the 757/767. I can't remember the danger area size behind the engines, but at 50% power, the wind speed from the engines is somewhere in the neighborhood of over 300 mph. When I get a chance, I'll look and post specifics.

That truck is going bye bye.........

It can be done with a hell of a lot smaller aircraft than a B747, too. I've personally seen a King Air 90 with the props feathered inflict major damage on a Pushback Tug that weighs more than a car when it was throttled up just enough to get out of a turn. You're right. There's some wild safety videos out there talking about the dangers of jet blast.

They did a deal with a 737..and the myth was a cab was blown 75 ft in the air. It was busted.

I'm assuming this is a different myth.

Although I love watching Myth Busters, Brainiac already pulled off the stunt and proved it to be true..

"Big engine, lightweight Hippy Car" :D

YouTube - blown over

Wonder what would happen if there were people standing on a beach, say in St Maarten, while a jet was taking off.. Hmmm

Plane Blows Beach Away*Video

Last edited:
the mythbusters often revisit past myths to try new things or people on their website complain or point out other possibilites so they go back and redo the myth sometimes.

[/QUOTE]
I saw a United Airlines training video where a 767-200 blew a truck being towed behind it into SFO Bay. I don't know how much thrust they were pulling from the Boeing to blow it over, but same basic engine type on both aircraft.

That truck is going bye bye.........[/QUOTE]

I too have seen that video, see you later Mr Truck!

Dan

Wow, that is good. I really enjoy seeing these non-racing stories about Connie. It seems like he and Doug have always sort of had 2 different lives - one at the race track and one at the airport. Racing definatley comes second for them; which says alot about his passion for aviation business, because we see the tremendous effort they put into thier racing "hobby".

Exactly.

All 747s except the -100 could be ordered with engines from either Pratt & Whitney, General Electric, or Rolls Royce.

-100s came with PW engines. Those made about 43,000 lbs.

Todays -400s make in the neighborhood of 58,000 lb per engine.

Most turbofan engines are rarely run that hard. Takeoffs are generally made with flex power depending on ambient temp, field elevation, and aircraft weight.

Our standard takeoffs are done at 90% power, with the setting gradually reduced as outside air temperature increases due to interstage turbine temperature limits.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back