Just Who is NHRA trying to convince? (1 Viewer)

Guys the Countdown is here. And it is the big story. It just seems to me that some of you are tilting at windmills. Why not just see how it plays out, and if after it's over you still hate it I'm sure you will tell us why, but for now you are wasting a lot of time and energy complaining about something that isn't going to change.

Alan

P.S. I still feel all warm and fuzzy when Kelly calls me Darlin...

didn't ya notice I didn't even complain this time:D

Guess I'm the only person in America who LIKES the countdown.

From a fan perspective, instead of 2 or 3 folks in contention, 8 are in the mix.

The leaders got 'kinda screwed but, it makes a better show (and they've got to put fannies-in-the-seats"

Make that two. No one has brought up Shirleys remarks at indy.

I'm not a big fan of hers but she hit the nail on the head.

She said that "its the smartest thing the NHRA has ever done"

After this plays out foe a couple years the old guard will tilt at other windmills.

Other announcers to bash and other team owners to fry.

I like it and I think its a cool idea.

Doesn't diminish my love for the sport in the least, and it adds midseason excitement and alotta buzzzz.

JMHO REX

Guys the Countdown is here. And it is the big story. It just seems to me that some of you are tilting at windmills. Why not just see how it plays out, and if after it's over you still hate it I'm sure you will tell us why, but for now you are wasting a lot of time and energy complaining about something that isn't going to change.

Alan

Go to just about any NASCAR board and you'll find plenty of fans continuing to complain about the Chase despite the fact that it's been around for several years and NASCAR has no plans to dump it. There are always those who resist change. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that we don't find at least a few who continue to rail about the changes that the NHRA put in place in 1974.

Last edited:
As i recall it used to be a one race Countdown. The top fuel cars, funny cars etc from all the divisions raced at the World Finals. The winner of the race was the champion. So this is not the first time HNRA changed things. How bad would the people whine if all eight went into one race to crown the chanpion.
Mike

As i recall it used to be a one race Countdown. The top fuel cars, funny cars etc from all the divisions raced at the World Finals. The winner of the race was the champion. So this is not the first time HNRA changed things. How bad would the people whine if all eight went into one race to crown the chanpion.
Mike

Mike, You Had To Be Top Three, (I think) to Go to The World Finals....
The Key was, Fuel Cars at Points Meets... and the Finals Floated from Track to Track....

It was a one Race deal between Division Leaders... That I understood and would support today.... and yeah, you had to run Divisional events and earn points all year... and Indy was double points... in 69, John and Chops should have gone.... as it was, with John's passing, and the points being driver only...

Mid 70's, "Pro Classes" no longer had to go to Div. races, and the "Winston" style points system came about.... and it worked, and the "World Finals" just became the final race of the year...

My point is, Early on, there was a reason for a one race Play-off....

Starting in the mid-70's, there wasn't anymore... the whole season became the play-offs....

If we continue The Countdown next year (I'm Sure they will) starting at Indy next year, only the top eight should be allowed to run.... no none players, period.... (well, maybe their own ladder... not ever racing the play off cars)

but, that's me... which brings me to this.... Who cares????? I'm not for the chase or what ever it's called... not against it, just not the way I would have done it... what I don't like is the hype...

and this is coming from someone who couldn't tell you who won the superbowl, the world series, nor what the NBA calls their thing for the last 30 plus years....

Heck, I can't tell you who P/S championships between G/A and the W/J, BG years.... but I don't follow Gas Classes....

Cut the checks to whoever you want to. Just make sure there's a list so the rest of us can know who the true points champions are. Whoever would have been champ under the old system, that's who I'll consider the champ to be regardless of what "ooga booga booga" wand waving the almighty NHRA does.

I think the only solution is to create a new section to this board for all of you that dislike the countdown, dont get me wrong Im not the biggest fan of it either but I am sure Im not the only one to say Im tired of reading about everyone complain about it. Like Alan said...its here to stay for a while!

didn't ya notice I didn't even complain this time:D

P.J. you're starting to come around. My new goal in life is to get together with you and have that beer. I have never thought that you were a bad guy,You're just a little misguided-:D:D

Alan

I think the only solution is to create a new section to this board for all of you that dislike the countdown, dont get me wrong Im not the biggest fan of it either but I am sure Im not the only one to say Im tired of reading about everyone complain about it. Like Alan said...its here to stay for a while!

And..........what if that section of the board ends up being more populated than this one? :)

I actually like the idea. Would be an interesting experiment. We can all seperate ourselves by being pro, anti, or neutral. Basically, a politically correct version of racism! :D

It'll give people a whole new dimension when it comes to things to discredit the opinions of others with. :D "Well, you know? He's pro countdown, anyways....."

Wait a minute. Why would the new section necessarily be for those who dislike the countdown. Maybe THIS section would be called "Classic NHRA" and then there would be the "New NHRA" section. Kinda like Coke. (and I believe the new coke pretty much sucked!)

Last edited:
ESPN - Oreovicz: For all the marbles at Chicagoland - Open-Wheel

Instead of trying to copy NASCAR, I'd like to see the NHRA take a few hints from the IRL. They have been able to consistently provide exciting and legitimate championship battles without the use of a welfare system. Tomorrow's race will be no exception, with Marty Reid in the booth on top of it.

boy you nailed that one. the IRL has finishes like this every year. yesterdays was amazing.

I was watching the nascar post race show, that was replayed last night before wind tunnel. They had Mike Helton on and they talked about how the NHRA had copied, yes that's the word they used , copied, Nascars countdown. Helton said imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
Gag me with a spoon.

There was never any need for an artificial points race. For all the conservative nature of most in the drag racing world, at least from what I read here, I find the points welfare system to be quite enigmatic.

The artificial drama created by the question 'will herbert or grubnic make the countdown ' was silly. Neither of them were going to win the championship. So what difference did it make. Maybe some newer fans might find that interesting , until they pay attention long enough to realize what a sham it is.

Accuse me of whining; I assure you there's no whine in my voice. This is my opinion. Just because it doesn't toe the party line doesn't mean it's whining.

Last edited:
P.J. you're starting to come around. My new goal in life is to get together with you and have that beer. I have never thought that you were a bad guy,You're just a little misguided-:D:D

Alan

I'm not coming around lol, still hate it and somehow even more so every day. :D

I tried to find you at Indy, the one time I did you were wroking and I didn't want to bother you then. We will have that beer eventually

boy you nailed that one. the IRL has finishes like this every year. yesterdays was amazing.

I was watching the nascar post race show, that was replayed last night before wind tunnel. They had Mike Helton on and they talked about how the NHRA had copied, yes that's the word they used , copied, Nascars countdown. Helton said imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
Gag me with a spoon.

There was never any need for an artificial points race. For all the conservative nature of most in the drag racing world, at least from what I read here, I find the points welfare system to be quite enigmatic.

The artificial drama created by the question 'will herbert or grubnic make the countdown ' was silly. Neither of them were going to win the championship. So what difference did it make. Maybe some newer fans might find that interesting , until they pay attention long enough to realize what a sham it is.

Accuse me of whining; I assure you there's no whine in my voice. This is my opinion. Just because it doesn't toe the party line doesn't mean it's whining.

Saw Kenny Wallace's comment also, Bob, and was gonna post it here, but you treed me! Ouch! JUST the kinda publicity the NHRA needes being painted as a monkey see monkey do organization by the 800 lb gorilla that is Nascar.

Maybe THIS section would be called "Classic NHRA" and then there would be the "New NHRA" section. Kinda like Coke. (and I believe the new coke pretty much sucked!)

New Coke just happened to turn into the old stuff IIRC. Maybe that is what will happen to the "chase, countdown, mistake, whatever".:)

I don't get how not liking it is a bad thing or why I have to just accept it.

Good grief if some of you were around in the 1700's we'd still be under British rule with those attitudes.

I don't get how not liking it is a bad thing or why I have to just accept it..................
It's not a bad thing, but having 500 separate threads about it can get old...........................If not a new section, just make a sticky on top of the NHRA section and combine all of the bitchin' in ONE THREAD!:cool:

It's not a bad thing, but having 500 separate threads about it can get old...........................If not a new section, just make a sticky on top of the NHRA section and combine all of the bitchin' in ONE THREAD!:cool:

That is why if this board comes up in conversation now I call it "Whine'O'Mater" :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back