July 3 Night of Fire Event in Medford (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
Anyone on the westcoast looking for some racing action on the 4th of July weekend should look no further than Champion Raceway in Medford OR. There will be a Top Eliminator West open 8 car blown alcohol dragster show, a nitro funny car exhibition by the guy that use to race the Pandemonium car, Pro Mods and a pair of jet fuuny cars. To top it off there will also be a fireworks show at the event's conclusion. We'll be there so come on out but watch out for the rattlers at the top end of the track! It's going to be a blast and I can't wait.

Qualifying is on friday July 2 and the big show is Saturday night July 3.

Mike, we went to Medford last week to test the car as the smaller blower we put on the car drastically changed the tune up and we learned that we had to really lean it out more than we would have ever imagined. It use to be a 140 main jet would be too lean and melt pistons. Now a 140 is to fat! As a result, our tune up has been off.

So, at the invitation of Jim Taylor we went to Medford to test the car as we will be one of the featured cars down there and he really needs as many blown cars as he can get for his Night of Fire July 3rd extravaganza. So after testing which got us going in the right direction, we decided to leave the rig down there in a secured location rather than bring it back to Woodburn for the points meet and then turn right around and go back to Medford again. Also, doing this saved us money as well and this year we are managing our funds a lot closer than ever before.

The reasoning was that we would have raced five weekends in a row and we didn't want to chance hurting the engine a week before the Medford event with no time to fix it. Also, I have lost two tires and a transmission going over those hills between the valley and Medford and we literally crawl over those mountains with that trailer. So since the rig was already there I didn't want to chance the truck breaking down going back and forth. Finally, the cars in NHRA's TD class are now mandated to be self-starting we are not. That was something we were going to change this past week though.

Having said all that we will be back to Woodburn on the weekend they traditionally have the points meet and that will be July 10th and 11th for the Oregon Championships featuring Pro Mods, nitro Harleys etc. Had the points meet stayed on that weekend we would have ran it.

This was not an easy decision for me to make and I agonized over it all week but everyone at the track who asked me about it thought it was a smart move.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back