Julie Russell Settles... (1 Viewer)

Jerry,

I know alot of ESQ's (family) but don't know any that would take a case like the Russell deal for pro-bono...
You get what you pay for and the group respresenting Russell are doing it for a % if one is granted....Heard thru the grapevine the settlement was for pennies on the asking dollar, as usual...
Pretty hard to prove negligence in a civil deal when your occupation is a hazard...
The situation was an accident and accidents don't pay squat...

What if she wins a lot of money from Goodyear and then Goodyear says "this ain't worth it, we're done with drag racing."? This lawsuit could do some real damage to the sport that Darrell loved so much.

What if she wins a lot of money from Goodyear and then Goodyear says "this ain't worth it, we're done with drag racing."? This lawsuit could do some real damage to the sport that Darrell loved so much.

True but there are others that make fuel tires out there.
Hoosier comes to mind and there are a few others.

I can tell you that the other two major tire manufacturers are the least bit interested in making a Top Fuel tire. Why would anyone want that huge liability with little or no financial reward?

It's not the money that is going to cause Goodyear to leave, if they do go. It'll be the open door to other lawsuits that will have them debating on whether or not making Nitro tires will be worth it- it is FAR from a profitable division in relation to their other racing divisions. Those divisions make up the financing for the lawyers that are working on this case- the company has them on board all the time. Goodyear is far from broke, and whatever Julie gets won't really ding their bottom line as a whole.

With all the people here who were witch-hunting Goodyear after Eric's accident, isn't this a bit more of a reasonable lawsuit?
Tire fails- tire is responsible for chain reaction- chain reaction causes death of driver. Seen in court's all over the land (wasn't it Ford and their tire company just recently?)...
If everyone here that felt Goodyear was responsible for the Medlin fatality, and that responsibility would have some courts dole out a settlement to his family, as well as a change in the safety of the tires, most folks would be jumping up and down claiming justice had been done. Julie is no less (and probably more) deserving of this case going here way than any in recent memory. I hope that she does not get considered a villian based on the information surrounding her husband's death.

If I remember correctly, this suit was also brought on by Glendora's lack of response in dealing with Julie..and questions she had about the incident not being answered..and still haven't been answered.

Sad deal all the way around..

Pretty hard to prove negligence in a civil deal when your occupation is a hazard...
The situation was an accident and accidents don't pay squat...

Terry ,
I have to disagree, my other life is in large construction projects. I been personally named in a death case because I was in charge, & have given many hours of testimony in other lawsuits involving accidents. Something or someone caused the accident, and the first thing looked for is negligence. Juries want to find fault by someone to pay for the victim's (widow) loss.
I never said pro-bono on this case , 30-40% will give a nice return to the firm.

Jerry,
If Russell was currently employing a law firm she'd be broke by now...The firm is representing her pro-bono for a % return...That is what I was saying...And there aren't too many top-shelf ESQ's that work like that...
Like I said..the settlement was for pennies on the dollar or you'd be hearing about a huge court victory in Darrell's honor....
And in civil court there is not black and white 'time' limits to respond to a claim...Glendora could milk this thing for @ least a decade or more...Glendora pays huge amounts in protection just in case this situation happens....And I know this past accident is not a daily round-table discussion. The NHRA defense firm is very thick-skinned and will not budge or even flinch over this...A pretty rough/tough group of lawyers....Thats their job...And the firm is led by a group of women...Gotta love em...

Jerry,
If Russell was currently employing a law firm she'd be broke by now...The firm is representing her pro-bono for a % return...That is what I was saying...And there aren't too many top-shelf ESQ's that work like that...
Like I said..the settlement was for pennies on the dollar or you'd be hearing about a huge court victory in Darrell's honor....
And in civil court there is not black and white 'time' limits to respond to a claim...Glendora could milk this thing for @ least a decade or more...Glendora pays huge amounts in protection just in case this situation happens....And I know this past accident is not a daily round-table discussion. The NHRA defense firm is very thick-skinned and will not budge or even flinch over this...A pretty rough/tough group of lawyers....Thats their job...And the firm is led by a group of women...Gotta love em...
The only thing pro bono in a civil suit seeking damages is the initial consultation(s). If the attorney or law firm determines you likely have a win-able case during the initial consultation(s), they will represent you, with a contract, on a contingency basis. A typical contingency contract will pay the lawyer(s) 25% of an award or settlement if the case goes to trial, or 33% of an out-of-court settlement. There is a significant difference between pro bono and contingency representation.

I would think...ok hope that one of the other tire companies would jump in then. Imagine the love they'd get from fans as they would be viewed as saving Nitro

also as far as goodyear not making money on nitro tires, thats not the deal. Does Castrol make money from Force?, Bud from Bernstein? I think that they would look at it as more of sponsorship or product placement deal. Instead of placing their name on cars they make sure every car has their tires so every picture or video you see says goodyear.

There is a significant difference between pro bono and contingency representation.
I agree Bob , all of the cases I work on are for fee, if the lawyer won't take the injury case on a contingency, the client should reconsider his action. At $300 per hour the meter runs fast ! I get over 150/hr. just for being an expert.

Terry , In my 30 plus years of dealing with lawsuits for clients with the Insurance carrier involved, the carrier's lawyers will drive the case not Glendora. I was in charge of lawsuits for a company 10 times bigger than NHRA, most of my meetings were with our insurance company, and not our in house lawyers.
And in all my civil cases the Judges , and court system set the time line . Deep pockets can file many motions, but in my experience the judges will eventually stop the games by lawyers to clear the docket, or force a settlement.
As to hearing about the settlement, I had to sign confidentially agreements before going to work.
What did you read about that "truck thing" with NHRA ? :confused:

Jerry,

truck settlement was grossly over hyped...Heard from my wife's law firm the settlement was almost 75% less than advertised facts.
My wife's firm respresents many racing venues and has never lost a case..
The Russell deal will not prevail on the positive side. Julie is fighting an uphill battle that will engulf her personal life and will prevent her from going forward w/ a new life.
And the firm that represents NHRA is huge...Century City firm based in west L.A. that charges alot more than $300.00 an hour...They are paid quarterly and are very tight w/ the district judges...
This case will go on for @ least another decade...
She has decide is it worth it...but when your broke you got to do what you got to do right??

This sport has claimed some great people over the years, Russell happens to be one of them, not the first, not the last (R.I.P. Eric). This sport can be dangerous, I hope a jury see it that way, not that I feel Julie should get nothing, just that she and Darrell knew the risks going in.

John, Julie isn't going to get nothing, with the life insurance that Darrell had, the proceeds from the auction Larry and Allison Dixon put together and the proceeds donated to her by the Russell Family, from the t-shirts, decals, pins, hats, etc., she reportedly received $800k to $1million. Darrell was a friend of mine, I miss him as much today as I did when it happened, I can tell you that he was very conscious of the inherrent dangers of this sport. He said more than once that he was living his dream and enjoying every minute of it. Would Darrell have wanted this lawsuit to happen? In my opinion, NO. Would he want Julie taken care of? Yes. I see this as a no win situation for both sides, no matter who wins this will always be a black mark against all parties involved. And, unfortunately, memories of Darrell will always be tainted by it. R.I.P. my friend.:(

Last edited:
I see this as a no win situation for both sides, no matter who wins this will always be a black mark against all parties involved. And, unfortunately, memories of Darrell will always be tainted by it. R.I.P. my friend.:(

Sad but true Gary. I think all Darrell fans want Julie taken care of and we, as drag racing fans, do NOT like lawsuits....:(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back