Jonnie Lindberg to Tune PLR (1 Viewer)

I thought this was old news? At any rate, this seems like an odd hire. For all his success in the TA/FC ranks, Lindberg didn't have much success with Jim Head, as wasn't Lindberg assisting with the Head tune-up? I don't see him being able to continue Paul Lee's late-season 2023 success. But maybe with Medlen as mentor, Lindberg will be a good student.
The key here is Medlen. I believe he's a pretty good teacher.

I thought this was old news? At any rate, this seems like an odd hire. For all his success in the TA/FC ranks, Lindberg didn't have much success with Jim Head, as wasn't Lindberg assisting with the Head tune-up? I don't see him being able to continue Paul Lee's late-season 2023 success. But maybe with Medlen as mentor, Lindberg will be a good student.

Takes time.

Going from blown alcohol to nitro tuning kinda reminds me of some other guy who tuned his family's Top Alcohol Dragsters with great success with his brother driving, then went on to Top Fuel. Tragically, his brother was killed in a racing accident, but the surviving brother/tuner went on to tune some of the fastest TF dragsters ever that led to several world champions and great big salaries.

Having said that, it takes a certain analytical mindset to successfully tune blown combinations. Jumping from one fuel type to another just might prove to be a good move for him, as I'm sure he's smart enough to be up for the challenge. Evidentially, they see that in Lundberg.

What was that BB/FC tuner/driver's name that kicked everyone's butt who went on to tune for Kenny Bernstein? Dale, Jr? I remember seeing him run his alcohol car against nitro funny cars at OCIR more than once.

Larry Sutton might remember his name.

1705687996993.png

Last edited:
Takes time.

Going from blown alcohol to nitro tuning kinda reminds me of some other guy who tuned his family's Top Alcohol Dragsters with great success with his brother driving, then went on to Top Fuel. Tragically, his brother was killed in a racing accident, but the surviving brother/tuner went on to tune some of the fastest TF dragsters ever that led to several world champions and great big salaries.

Having said that, it takes a certain analytical mindset to successfully tune blown combinations. Jumping from one fuel type to another just might prove to be a good move for him, as I'm sure he's smart enough to be up for the challenge. Evidentially, they see that in Lundberg.

What was that BB/FC tuner/driver's name that kicked everyone's butt who went on to tune for Kenny Bernstein? Dale, Jr? I remember seeing him run his alcohol car against nitro funny cars at OCIR more than once.

Larry Sutton might remember his name.

View attachment 14163
Randy
How could you forget Dale Armstrong or are you kidding LOL.
Larry Sutton🤠

Randy
How could you forget Dale Armstrong or are you kidding LOL.
Larry Sutton🤠

Larry, I was just kidding. If you remember, the black Chaparral trailer I had in the late '80s, I bought from Carl Smith who got it from Jack Cambra. He was letting Dale Armstrong and group use it to run the Speed Racer funny car out of. I found that out because when I was working on the trailer water tank area over the 5th wheel I saw a shipping sticker marked "ship to to Dale Armstrong" in Torrance, CA, still on it. The next time I saw a Dale, I asked him about it and he said the water tank split and they had to replace it so he got a hold of Raymond Beetle who shipped him a new one from Chaparral trailers.

Larry, I was just kidding. If you remember, the black Chaparral trailer I had in the late '80s, I bought from Carl Smith who got it from Jack Cambra. He was letting Dale Armstrong and group use it to run the Speed Racer funny car out of. I found that out because when I was working on the trailer water tank area over the 5th wheel I saw a shipping sticker marked "ship to to Dale Armstrong" in Torrance, CA, still on it. The next time I saw a Dale, I asked him about it and he said the water tank split and they had to replace it so he got a hold of Raymond Beetle who shipped him a new one from Chaparral trailers.
Randy
I knew you were kidding. I was just pulling your chain waiting for your response. 😁
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter🤠
BTW- Ray Charles could see the names on the photos of cars. LOL
And Jack Cambra THE QUARTER BENDER I watched him bend a quarter and finely tear it apart. NO ONE ever messed with Jack. He was Don HOs body guard. true story.

Last edited:
Was Jack Cambra from Hawaii? Did he run a top alky dragster & came to the Winternats one time? I think maybe the year Clive Skilton & Dennis Priddle came from England. Priddle had bought Norm Wilcox's front motor car & Skilton bought the Mike Kuhl - Carl Olsen back motor car. I remember thinking it was so cool that British drag racers were at Pomona. Priddle became known in England as Mr Six, cuz he ran a 6.06 ET in that front motor car. That was the all time best for front motor until Nostalgia AA/FD came along. Paul Romine ran the first 5 for a front motor car, 5.96, April 21, 1996 at Gary, Indiana. Yes I had to look that up. I barely remember the waffle I had for breakfast this morning. heh

Last edited:
Just to add to Randy's post, which is spot on, I think this is a great move. Lindberg is a great alky tuner, and we need more young blood to learn the nitro deal. With Medlen as a mentor, I think he'll adapt quickly. Another alky guy who did "ok" with nitro is Ken Veney. Remember after being one of the hitters in Pro Comp/TAFC, he built a fuel FC and set the speed record?

Randy
I knew you were kidding. I was just pulling your chain waiting for your response. 😁
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter🤠
BTW- Ray Charles could see the names on the photos of cars. LOL
And Jack Cambra THE QUARTER BENDER I watched him bend a quarter and finely tear it apart. NO ONE ever messed with Jack. He was Don HOs body guard. true story.

True story, Larry. Only us old guys would remember that. I'm going to grab a quarter right now and see if I can bend it without putting it in a vice and beating on it with a hammer. 🤓

Didn't Jack Cambra have a brother named George as well?

True story, Larry. Only us old guys would remember that. I'm going to grab a quarter right now and see if I can bend it without putting it in a vice and beating on it with a hammer. 🤓

Didn't Jack Cambra have a brother named George as well?
Randy
Yes both the Cambra brothers had race cars. Good luck with the quarter. LOL
Larry Sutton🤠

Speaking of Chaparral trailers. Many years ago, I had gone to Beadle's race shop in Texas, and when I left, I stopped by Chaparral for a few minutes, and while I was there, they pulled this beautiful pink trailer outside that they had just finished building for a customer that was going to pick it up the next day. I couldn't resist taking a peek inside and checking it out. I guess I can always say that I was inside of Shirleys trailer before Shirley was. :D

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back