Jon Asher article (1 Viewer)

Bud Shootout? ? ?

Joe,

If history means anything, there have been name changes in the past for the "special" races for PSM, PS, FC & TF. (Wax Shop Pro Bike Dash is just one that comes to mind)

I would wager some serious money that the "event" continues, just under a new name.

Unk

Joe, thank you for posting that link. Think the NHRA is reading this?

H E double hockey sticks No... Like they care what Jon or us here Think... they are not trying to appeal to fans, they are appealing to the unwashed masses who in 2 years won't care because it isn't the "thing" of the year... most NASCAR fans can't tell you what tire stager is, but they know Lil' E is Dale's Kid, nor will they spec DuPont finishes or even what their body shop uses, but they are Gordon fans... and Home Depot or Lowe's? You mean they're not the same company? NASCAR is a Fad....

And That's one thing We don't need to Be

By the way, Way Bitchin' Article Ash... As always:)

I love reading his stuff, he's by far the best writer in drag racing....not sure about the cowboy hat though.

I've known Jon for about 10 years now and reading his articles for the last 25 years. You can always count on Jon to be up front and to the point. Even if it's not what the drag racing gods want you to hear. Granted a lot of his writings are from a personal perspective. But given the fact that he has been involved with drag racing for so long with his eyes and ears wide open attitude, I would have to say that he stands at the front of the class when it comes to having a so called finger on the pulse of drag racing. Now I know that there are a couple of others who dare to step on the gods toes once in awhile. But, a few more writers/reporters like Jon would be a refreshing change to the current whitewashed state of drag racing ink we so often have to read.

Joe,

If history means anything, there have been name changes in the past for the "special" races for PSM, PS, FC & TF. (Wax Shop Pro Bike Dash is just one that comes to mind)

I would wager some serious money that the "event" continues, just under a new name.

Unk

Bob, I know the race will continue. Just that Bud is scaling back in a Big way it's sponsorship of NHRA.

That's ironic what he said about Joe Hartley. I thought the same thing myself when I saw that car.

Formerly known as MOB

I love reading Jon's articles. I think his "direct" style has a tendency to ruffle feathers. Some of those feathers need to be ruffled;)

Now, here is where I go out on a limb. I think he is wrong about Dixon. Look for an announcement from DPR at Pomona.:)

Jn Asher Article

Thanks for all of the kind words.

I lived in LA for about 25 years, but am originally from New Jersey, and have been living in New Mexico for the last 10. They don't call it the Land of Enchantment for nothing. This is a wonderful place, and yeah, I wear a cowboy hat every day of the week and have for several years. I'd wear one on the starting line if it weren't for the headset, but I do pull it on the second I'm in the car headed for the hotel!

I agree with Bob Unkefer in that the Bud race will return under other sponsorship. From what I'm hearing, the purse could get a substantial increase in the coming years, although in order for NHRA to "accept" it the purse for the Skoal Showdown will also have to increase. NHRA would not allow one special race to pay more than the other.

As to NHRA reading and/or responding and/or reacting to what appears on Nitromater, I assure you that various people within the organization pay very close attention to what goes on here. With that said, let me quickly add that the "credibility" of the posts has increased exponentially since those who post have been forced to use their real names. I railed about this several times in the past, only to be flamed for having done so, but the reality is that very few people (read that as "none") pay any attention to anonymous posts for the simple reason that non-fact-based rants without legitimate signatures literally amount to nothing.

A friend of mine was recently raked over the coals on another site by anonymous posters, and to what end? Those who did the attacking didn't have the courage to sign their names, meaning their attacks were like shooting blanks in a firefight.

This has become a better place to be since the name policy changed.

Jon Asher

Amen, John, Amen.

Course, I remember the Kagel Canyon days....could almost pass for parts of New Mexico!!!

Take care and hope to see you Friday. The Lovely and I will be cruising around enjoying ourselves.

MaC

Now there's a PAIR to draw to!!

Thanks for the insight, Jon..

And Dave..sure would like to see you doing broadcasts. (I can dream can't I ?) Enjoy the cruisin.

Ya know, I've said for a long time that some of the members on the old Mater weren't credible. Either by reputation or the lack of the use of their real name for whatever reason. I've long believed that if you are willing to type something out here on the world wide web......you better have the stones to say it to someone's face. I, as well as many others here, have and will continue to do so. That's why my screen name everywhere is what you see here.......Kelly. What you see is what you get.

Jon, although I may not agree with you for the most part, I respect your right to voice your opinion. Feel free! GOD, I love this country! :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back