Johnny Gray: I'm Not Interested In Being a 60-year old Guinea Pig (1 Viewer)

You don't need to keep the body on the chassis, not needed at all. You just let the explosion blow the body off but have a cable tethered from the body to the frame at the rear pivot points so that the body blows off the chassis but wont go further then a set distance from the car, maybe have the cable long enough to clear the chassis but short enough to keep the body on the track.

Sort of like the tether surfers wear that attaches to the surfboard.

Can you imagine the debris field that would be created by dragging the body down the track at 300 mph?

Can you imagine the debris field that would be created by dragging the body down the track at 300 mph?

I was just imagining what a f/c body would look like nowadays after a big explosion if they were still made out of Fiberglass......damn

On a side note, are there any knowledgable people on here that know how much ballast, if any, is used on the F/Cs these days? With all the safety stuff now, is ballast even needed to make weight for the msot part?

This is easier said than done. We tried to "direct the bast" on a TF car several ways with what we thought were strong billet parts and the result was the burst panel absolutely nuked the puke tank and various other parts. Anything in it's way was history. I think others have tried it as well with similar results.

Bummer.

I would imagine that when you lose a body in an explosion that it gets rid of all the pressure from the explosion and gets rid of it quickly, now that the body is attached more tightly to the frame the pressure is going full force up onto the body so I guess it is going to be a whats the next weekest link kind of thing.

You don't need to keep the body on the chassis, not needed at all. You just let the explosion blow the body off but have a cable tethered from the body to the frame at the rear pivot points so that the body blows off the chassis but wont go further then a set distance from the car, maybe have the cable long enough to clear the chassis but short enough to keep the body on the track.

Sort of like the tether surfers wear that attaches to the surfboard.

We're talking about the safety of the drivers AND the spectators. The debris field on the track should be the least of our worries. At least it would be kept ON the track. I like this idea.

That's my thought too Steve--- if it is directed out the side and done well--- what happens to a side by side pair at 300 feet, 1000 feet ----

I think maybe a series of burst panels on the "hood" , lets get the big one farther away from the injector ------- maybe a series of panels with hinges on one side to snap open but not leave the body ?????

That's my thought too Steve--- if it is directed out the side and done well--- what happens to a side by side pair at 300 feet, 1000 feet ----

I think maybe a series of burst panels on the "hood" , lets get the big one farther away from the injector ------- maybe a series of panels with hinges on one side to snap open but not leave the body ?????

Mark I was thinking the same thing, but at what point is the body integrity sacrificed with all of the openings? How do we go about reinforcing the carbon fiber? As I mentioned above, imagine if there were still fiberglass. Maybe they need to look at better structure of the body and also adding "vents", "flaps", etc. Seems like the price of bodies is about to jump again.

i like the body tether idea....almost a 3rd parachute but wound cable would
not be under pressure at all....an easy connect/dis-connect for ease of
body removal. cable would yank on a lifting body and cause deceleration
and loss of altitude.

Last edited:
kevin-knauer-albums-my-pics-picture3268-guidebars-3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

A look at this picture shows the main reason for the body breaking blower pops. The majority of the set back blower is under the dash of the funny cars with only two small burst panels located on runners to ports 1 & 2. When a blower pop happens the pressure goes back to the firewall and up on the dash of the body, and that is where the body is going to be most affected just like Gray's, no matter how many tethers you mount on the body.

I know personally of one big show car that was ru at a national event this year that has the blower in the standard position with the single large burst panel on the front of the plenum with a billet deflector aiming down. They periodically pop the blower, but because the blower is under the injector opening and the blast goes up to free air and forward to the bodies burst panel without causing major damage. They usually only need to replace the windshield, sometimes a little tin work around the injector opening and remount the burst panel.

Tethers and stronger latches make the problem worse, no matter where you put them. An engineer needs to look at the actual cause and define the problem before a satisfactory solution will come about.

A look at this picture shows the main reason for the body breaking blower pops. The majority of the set back blower is under the dash of the funny cars with only two small burst panels located on runners to ports 1 & 2. When a blower pop happens the pressure goes back to the firewall and up on the dash of the body, and that is where the body is going to be most affected just like Gray's, no matter how many tethers you mount on the body.

I know personally of one big show car that was ru at a national event this year that has the blower in the standard position with the single large burst panel on the front of the plenum with a billet deflector aiming down. They periodically pop the blower, but because the blower is under the injector opening and the blast goes up to free air and forward to the bodies burst panel without causing major damage. They usually only need to replace the windshield, sometimes a little tin work around the injector opening and remount the burst panel.

Tethers and stronger latches make the problem worse, no matter where you put them. An engineer needs to look at the actual cause and define the problem before a satisfactory solution will come about.[/QUOTE]

As always, Virgil Hartman chimes in with the "word". Thanks for your contribution to this forum.

Good stuff from Hartman as always. One thing the racers need is to take ownership of the risk. As a driver you assume the risk that you could be killed running the car. If that risk is too high you don't run it or you change to a different class. That sucks, and if the risk is changed do to bad engineering/rules then maybe you decide to sit out or change to a "safer" class. On the flip side of that as fan you really should not assume any risk. When I strap in my car (granted nothing like a AA/FC) I know that something could go wrong and I could be killed or injured...I'm fine with that. As a fan I don't even consider that me or my children could be hurt or killed.....as a sanctioning body you have to build your rules to put the risk where it belongs (on the drivers and not the fans)...otherwise your business model is not going to work.

Johnny is very close to the top. At this point, he's only 5 rounds out of first place. There are some inconsistent cars in his way too. This is an excellent opportunity for him to take a run at the championship and go off into the sunset as a champ. Every other funny car driver has to deal with the tethers too. But the danger is still there. I'm sure all of these thoughts are going though Johnny Gray's head. God Speed Johnny. I'm a fan!! :)

Remember when it wasn't too long ago that Dragster drivers wanted to get into a F/C because they were "safer" ??

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back