Johnny Gray: I'm Not Interested In Being a 60-year old Guinea Pig (2 Viewers)

Obviously we are all grateful the Johnny is O.K., but I have a question that has not been addressed. Who designed this system? It doesn't sound like NHRA talked to the Funny Car guys or crewchiefs, so who was the brainstormer that figured this out? A two year old could have told you the body was going to buckle in the middle with a major KaBoom. So I ask again who designed this Mickey Mouse system and sold the idea to NHRA? (my apologies to Mickey)

Rick

And I can answer that for you Rick. Are your collective memories that short?

NHRA Story » Cooperative venture between NHRA, Funny Car teams leads to new latch system

NHRA reached out to the teams, and worked with them to design the latch and tether system. Now I don't know who from DSR was involved, but if he (or she or they) didn't get input from the drivers and Crew Chiefs in their own shop, that is hardly on NHRA. Except here on the MATER where everything is blamed on NHRA and the facts be damned!

I now leave you to your regularly scheduled bashing.
Alan

NHRA Mandates New FC Body Latch-and-Tether System | Drag Illustrated | Drag Racing News, Opinion, Interviews, Photos, Videos and More

"Led by NHRA Vice President-Technical Operations Glen Gray and Director of Engineering Timothy White, members of the Don Schumacher Racing, John Force Racing, Kalitta Motorsports, and Head Racing teams, along with industry experts including chassis builder Murf McKinney and renowned composite manufacturer Aerodine, worked together to design a latching and retention system to work under the demanding conditions. The group met numerous times in person, including visits to the various teams’ fabrication departments, and participated in numerous teleconferences."

Sounds like a group of two year olds to me :rolleyes:

Sounds like they missed something, that's a lot of people trying to figure it out. Hope they come up with something better.

Rick

Something is awfully WRONG with this new system. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out. We almost lost Johnny Gray and Tasca's car almost burnt to the ground. I don't blame either one of them for being animated, or Capps either. Fix it NHRA just FIX IT!! :mad:

Tasca's problem had nothing to do with the latch/tether. The body was hung up on the injector. I'm not saying I'm in favor of the tether, especially after seeing Johnny Gray's near catastrophe, but let's get our facts straight!

And I can answer that for you Rick. Are your collective memories that short?

NHRA Story » Cooperative venture between NHRA, Funny Car teams leads to new latch system

NHRA reached out to the teams, and worked with them to design the latch and tether system. Now I don't know who from DSR was involved, but if he (or she or they) didn't get input from the drivers and Crew Chiefs in their own shop, that is hardly on NHRA. Except here on the MATER where everything is blamed on NHRA and the facts be damned!

I now leave you to your regularly scheduled bashing.
Alan

Your right Alan I do have a short memory, but at my age that's normal. I promise you I don't want to bash NHRA, but they make it very easy to do so. The system in my opinion didn't work to ensure the drivers safety, hopefully they will come up with a better system, but as Rob Wendland said any recommendations he made went on deaf ears. Rob is a very smart individual and by them not even considering what he said is not good. I realize there is a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking going on but it is needed in this case. If you want to call it bashing that's fine, but the results need to be a better system period.

Rick

You don't need to keep the body on the chassis, not needed at all. You just let the explosion blow the body off but have a cable tethered from the body to the frame at the rear pivot points so that the body blows off the chassis but wont go further then a set distance from the car, maybe have the cable long enough to clear the chassis but short enough to keep the body on the track.

Sort of like the tether surfers wear that attaches to the surfboard.

More like the harness lifelines that are worn by riggers and window washers... 6 feet of leash in a 2.5 package (its the way its sewn- kinda like an accordion).

SO, what? 10 feet? 20? And what happens to the body when it does come to an abrupt halt when it hits the end of its leash? I surf, and based on where you are, William, you probably do too. So I know you've been clobbered once or twice by the snapback. I can't even imagine what that is going to do about REALLY unloading the car at 250+mph (which just lost ALL of its downforce in the blast)... Especially if the chassis hook is low like the shackle for the chutes...

Ironically, the tether system is not needed at Sonoma. The grandstands there are a million miles away from the racing surface.

More like the harness lifelines that are worn by riggers and window washers... 6 feet of leash in a 2.5 package (its the way its sewn- kinda like an accordion).

SO, what? 10 feet? 20? And what happens to the body when it does come to an abrupt halt when it hits the end of its leash? I surf, and based on where you are, William, you probably do too. So I know you've been clobbered once or twice by the snapback. I can't even imagine what that is going to do about REALLY unloading the car at 250+mph (which just lost ALL of its downforce in the blast)... Especially if the chassis hook is low like the shackle for the chutes...

I don't surf at all, and never have so don't know what thats like. They pop the chutes at over 300mph and I can only imagine what kind of force that has.

Someone on another forum made up a good point. If you were to have the body drag behind the car you would have to make it sure it stayed away from the chutes.

Is it me, or has this problem of the bodies flying off the cars become more prevalent since they're now going 320+mph in 1000 feet instead of 1320? IE: the wick is considerably shorter? I recall more (correct me where I'm wrong) explosions occurring closer to the finish line (1320ft) than during the middle of the run, where our most recent ones have occurred.

We don't know the parameters that NHRA spelled out to the teams and chassis builders for the "solution".

If they said "keep the body out of the stands, have at it", I think the solution would be different than what we have now.

It seems and sounds more likely that they said "we want a tether so the body doesn't leave the chassis, how do we attach this tether on both ends?"

Pure speculation of course, but what fun would it be if we didn't speculate? :D

Think of all the red pixels Alan would save! :D

you don't need to keep the body on the chassis, not needed at all. You just let the explosion blow the body off but have a cable tethered from the body to the frame at the rear pivot points so that the body blows off the chassis but wont go further then a set distance from the car, maybe have the cable long enough to clear the chassis but short enough to keep the body on the track.

Sort of like the tether surfers wear that attaches to the surfboard.

^^^^^like button^^^^^

If we're going to have to 2 open cockpit fuel classes, let's go all the way and combine them. 125in wheelbase, transformer Fuel Altereds with big show drivetrains, big wings, running 1320 ft., 32 car fields, and a $1Mil points prize. :D

Bodies have been blowing off FCs since the beginning of time. I remember Phil Castranova blowing one of the "Custom Body mini Charger" bodies about 100' high at Indy one year in the 70s. Blowers used to go that high as well and fairly frequently.
Having a blowout panel on the sides of the bodies has promise. Basically you have panels in the side just ahead of the firewall similar to the hood panel in use now. The panels are attached with plastic screws just like the hood panel is now. These panels would release a lot of pressure while keeping the body intact (more or less) and repairable (hopefully). I hope NHRA looks at this system.
Alan, the maters are unhappy with NHRA because they required a "new" system that appears to have some very serious issues. We do not know who actually designed it and I doubt we ever will. What we know is we do not want a driver hurt. We are not suggesting NHRA does, but it appears the newly required system needs attention and it needs it right now! Why don't you check with Jim Head and let us know where he stands on the new system? Head will talk to you.

Not only will Jim Head talk, he's probably not a bad guy to consult with on this, or any issue for that matter.

How about an additional chute that is attached to a reinforced plate on the back of the body in between where the current ones are mounted. Then have a release cable tethered to the chassis so when the body goes it deploys the chute and air-brakes the body's vertical speed. I know that some might say that keeping the body aloft for longer might let it drift over into the stands, but if you made the chute the right size it would kill the velocity and then let the body drop like a rock. Any thoughts?

If we're going to have to 2 open cockpit fuel classes, let's go all the way and combine them. 125in wheelbase, transformer Fuel Altereds with big show drivetrains, big wings, running 1320 ft., 32 car fields, and a $1Mil points prize. :D

I think that is where it should be heading. With lack of MFG support across the board and now really only two MFGs, why do the bodies/cars have to look like ANY form of automobile make? Make them look even slicker...like Bonneville. Just my 2 cents...

I think that is where it should be heading. With lack of MFG support across the board and now really only two MFGs, why do the bodies/cars have to look like ANY form of automobile make? Make them look even slicker...like Bonneville. Just my 2 cents...

Just have two fuel classes: rear engine -300 inch wheelbase

front engine- 125 inch wheelbase, body optional

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back