johnna dunn hurt on starting line (1 Viewer)

Have you looked into it yourself? She was on the left guard rail over as far as she could be.

Yes, Sonoma 89 final. Joe kicked the rods out on the burnout, and Gere got hit.
She told her dad she was behind 2 other crew members behind car, she just unfortunately got hit. Picture by guard rail or wall was older picture from what I understand, Eugene could probably fill us in on that.

Accidents happen. It's an inherently dangerous sport we love,no matter the precautions we take. Get well soon miss Dunn.

That’s terrible. The starting line is cool and all; but it truly is very dangerous. I can relate this to unexpectedly being hit in the face with a hockey puck while simply watching the game .... which happened to me.. Ouch ouch ouch

Somethng happened years ago to 'Mater member Rich Bailey. Car in front of him dropped a combination wrench on the track, then Rich did his burnout and it kicked it up and it hit a woman in the leg!

Hope NHRA looks at this and make rule that team members must stand to one side or other to watch car. Really proper way to watch how cars working anyway. Start throwing rocks now LoL

NHRA needs to better manage the security too. I understand this girl was down there for a reason; but I myself have snuck down to the starting line several times, relatively recently during the nitro sessions. It looks like a damn cocktail beach party down there on racedays. Wayyyyyy too many people. People who have absolutely nothing to do with the operation of the race car. I understand that sponsors and such love to experience it up close and that’s important to maintain the sports future. But better control down there. You can buy crew shirts on eBay and blend right in with your favorite nitro team. I’ve done it myself. Wrong on every angle. Please - nobody else try this. Hopefully they are better now about controlling it; this was about 2009 or so for me. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

She told her dad she was behind 2 other crew members behind car, she just unfortunately got hit. Picture by guard rail or wall was older picture from what I understand, Eugene could probably fill us in on that.
That picture was not taken at WHP.

NHRA needs to better manage the security too. I understand this girl was down there for a reason; but I myself have snuck down to the starting line several times, relatively recently during the nitro sessions. It looks like a damn cocktail beach party down there on racedays. Wayyyyyy too many people. People who have absolutely nothing to do with the operation of the race car. I understand that sponsors and such love to experience it up close and that’s important to maintain the sports future. But better control down there. You can buy crew shirts on eBay and blend right in with your favorite nitro team. I’ve done it myself. Wrong on every angle. Please - nobody else try this. Hopefully they are better now about controlling it; this was about 2009 or so for me. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Actually, I thought they were pretty on top of it this year with the corrals for owners, VIP's, etc., and I noticed that there was more security and was also a little tighter as well, they weren't afraid to stop people and question them. I remember seeing a friend of Connie's over at his kart by the starting line; but, that didn't stop security from having a discussion with him for a few minutes, with Connie right there vouching. (I've been at the track for 5 years and I had to walk back to my car just to get my WHP badge to get past security and go into the office after qualifying Saturday.) I just think this was just one of those accidents that happen because we're involved in a inherently dangerous activity, nothing more, and we wish her the best in her recovery.

Drag racing has always had a danger factor to it. A few years ago, Antron Brown had a wheel come off the dragster at Wild Horse and it went into the pit side handicapped grandstands. Killed a woman in a wheel chair. Yes a freak accident, but stuff like that happens. All of us know about cars that have gone into the grandstands & killed people years ago. Kenny Bernstein ran over a crew member in his F/C once. The tracks are a lot safer now than they used to be. Guard rails are (mostly) concrete, and there is a good "seperation space" between the track & the grandstands, which is a good safety thing. I never want to see anyone hurt at the drags. One thing would be for the racers to be sure there is nothing in the race car that might fall off when they come to the line. Sigh....

Was at OCIR one year, standing at the top end by the ambulance. Dragster goes thru the lights & I hear "thunk" 2 times. It was the rods out of the engine & they hit the ambulance. That was the last time I stood there......

Your post reminded me of the time I was at OCIR years ago when, I believe it was a TF car, blew up going through the lights on the top end and launched the flywheel/clutch straight up in the air about 300 feet. That thing came down still spinning high rpm, bit into the pavement and shot off into the pit area like a berserk buzz saw. I don't remember anybody being hurt by it but I sure wouldn't have wanted to be on the receiving end.

That was Larry Bowers T/F car. I saw that from the spectator side of the track. Saw the flywheel go up over the finish line grandstands and thought oh no. It was a miracle that no one got hurt. One of the Maters posted a photo of that some time ago. I wish I had 10 cents for every time I saw a blower explode, or the rotors of the blower go bouncing down the track in front of the car, magnetos coming out of the engine (Shirley), spark plugs coming out and going over the spectator side grand stands (Firebird), on and on.

That was Larry Bowers T/F car. I saw that from the spectator side of the track. Saw the flywheel go up over the finish line grandstands and thought oh no. It was a miracle that no one got hurt. One of the Maters posted a photo of that some time ago. I wish I had 10 cents for every time I saw a blower explode, or the rotors of the blower go bouncing down the track in front of the car, magnetos coming out of the engine (Shirley), spark plugs coming out and going over the spectator side grand stands (Firebird), on and on.
Cliff, Scott Palmer's boat blew the clutch during a run at the world finals a few years back ago. No joke, one plate made it to the Speed Sports pit which was usually down in the lower pits, and one on top of the grandstands.

Drag racing has always had a danger factor to it. A few years ago, Antron Brown had a wheel come off the dragster at Wild Horse and it went into the pit side handicapped grandstands. Killed a woman in a wheel chair. Yes a freak accident, but stuff like that happens. All of us know about cars that have gone into the grandstands & killed people years ago. Kenny Bernstein ran over a crew member in his F/C once. The tracks are a lot safer now than they used to be. Guard rails are (mostly) concrete, and there is a good "seperation space" between the track & the grandstands, which is a good safety thing. I never want to see anyone hurt at the drags. One thing would be for the racers to be sure there is nothing in the race car that might fall off when they come to the line. Sigh....

Everybody remembers LeMans in 1955 when 80+ spectators were killed, but not much is said about this horrible drag racing incident....

http://www.gendisasters.com/georgia/23099/covington-ga-drag-racing-accident-mar-1969

it's said that it was caused by the car's parachute capturing and killing instantly a spectator who ran towards the track to pick something up

Last edited:

Here you go.

IMG_5k1x1l.jpg

There is no reason why anyone needs to stand directly behind the car when it is getting ready to run.
Where would you stand so that you could see both headers so you could shut the car off if it drops a cylinder? I am fully aware that serious injury or death could happen on the starting line. But as far as safety goes I'm a lot more comfortable behind the car then beside it. In my opinion I'm safer standing behind the car then I am traveling to and from the track or watching from the other side of the fence...my past experiences and my old banged up body is all the proof I need to convince me of that.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back