John Shoemaker Passes (1 Viewer)

Re: Update From 'the meet'

Godspeed John. Always enjoyed seeing the American flag from his TAD in years past. My condolences to the entire family. If the early reports have any truth, it sounds like he left us doing what he loved. Only a blessed few could ever say that.

Growing up at Sacramento Raceway I was lucky enough to grow up around John. I have to admit it was very difficult having to call my dad this morning to tell him that he had lost one of his oldest friends. Due to this being opening weekend for baseball for my son, none of family was down in Bakerfield but now I'm somewhat glad that was the case. I spoke to friends who also stated that they thought he possbily had a heart attack during the run. What ever the case, this man went doing what he loved. I think that most of us hope that the same can be said for us when our time comes. My family's thoughts and prayers are with John's family.:(

Very sad day in drag racing. John was one of the few "true racers" left and he will be missed.

My deepest condolences to the family!

This is very sad, i never talked to John personally but my grandpa was friends with him. Ill never forget the Nightfire Nationals in Boise in 2005, huge wind storm came through and tents, ez ups and everything else was flying. We got all that we could save from our pit put away, then we went out to help other teams hold stuff down until the wind passed. We stopped at John Shoemakers pit to help them out and they were all very grateful and all seemed like such nice people, to hear this news is sad...

God speed Mr. Shoemaker

My thoughts & prayers go out to his family, crew and friends.

I was at the march meet and saw the pass from the tower area
when i heard the car keep going i knew something was wrong and so did everyone else around there
i've watched the Shoemakers for a long time starting with nhra tad racing to when he went back to nostalgia in a/fuel class then top fuel
i always loved the way judee backed the car up with the american flag that was awesome
after john's passing brendan murray's wife was going to back up bill dunlap driving their car that weekend with the flag, sadly the car wouldn't go in reverse
however when they came down the return road to pick up bill at the top end everyone in the stands were cheering for what they were going to do

he went out on the pass of his life and if you are going to go man what a way to go out
fastest run in his top fuel time
the safety crew did an incredible job but he was gone
when judee and the crew came back to the track she was a rock
everyone else was crying and she was more comforting them then herself and i know it hadn't hit her yet but she was soooo strong
racing won't be the same without the american eagle there and the Shoemakers since they were a staple of the nostalgia racing
my thoughts and prayers go to the family

I was there and saw the pass.....was hard to watch it unfold. When I saw the car was still under power approaching the turnoff I knew it wasn't good and the only thing that shut the motor down was the blower kicking. I didn't know John on a real personal level, but I have some messages in my inbox from him that I can't bring myself to delete....

See you on the other side John......

I, along with many others, don't believe that result for an instant! They are wrong this time. I simply refuse to believe that John was awake, alert and in control of that car when it reached the finish line. Many, many more things would have happened to stop that car had that been true. I'm going to miss that man for a long time.

I, along with many others, don't believe that result for an instant! They are wrong this time. I simply refuse to believe that John was awake, alert and in control of that car when it reached the finish line. Many, many more things would have happened to stop that car had that been true. I'm going to miss that man for a long time.

Jay posted this over at Psychobike.com
It is being reported that photos at the 800' mark show John slumped over the wheel. No chutes and throttle wide open until the blower lifted.

He was probably gone before the car reached the finish line.

Jay

i have to agree.....no disrespect Jackee and i appreciate you posting that link...i read every word of it twice, but it just doesnt seem plausible that a guy with 42 years of driving experience showed no visible signs of the car trying to be shut off.....no chutes, no kill switch, no brakes.....nothing....maybe the crash ultimately ended his life, but it seems there were other forces at work here

Very sad to see

Me too Darryl! I just can't accept that! John would have done anything to get that thing slowed down..hit fuel shut off, pulled chutes..burned the freakin brakes to get it stopped! We'll see what the AUTOPSY shows, but like you said..bottom line is he is gone! And we're all gonna miss the American Eagle!:(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back