John Shoemaker Passes (1 Viewer)

Re: Update From 'the meet'

Always sad to hear of something like this. RIP :(

I just got back from Bakersfield.

I was sitting at about half-track on the camping side and watched the pass.
I knew immediately something bad had happened because the throttle never shut going past the lights.

It was the longest I had ever heard a fuel car WOT.

The mood in the pits was very sad for those that heard.
Lots of hugging and crying.

Others just went about there business.

:(

I am sad for the Shoemaker family and crew.

I can not express my sadness and heartache upon hearing this news. My thoughts and prayers are with John's family and friends.

RIP

My first dragster was built by John back in 1972. It was a very nice car. I got to know John a little bit after the sale. He and his wife often times raced without a lot of crew and were very nice people. This is very sad and hard to understand. It reminds me of when my good friend Don Rhyne drove off of the top end at Tucson and died as a result.

A real bummer to hear about this. John was a great guy and i'll miss him. I've seen him other places but he's been up here to Mission numerous times and they do the flag deal with a Canadian flag or both Canada and US. He did it with the front motor fueler as well as the top alky dragster.

This is a tragic loss of a great man and true friend...
I'm so sorry Judee... My hugs will be a bit tighter next time I see you...

John Shoemaker

From the entire Birky Bunch T/F team-
JoAnne and I are here for you sweetheart...

RIP- John
Thank You, for everything!!

This is terrible news. Thoughts and prayers to the Shoemaker family.

S/F
D

Awful, awful news. :(

My thoughts and prayers go out to John's family and friends.

RIP John.

Michael.

Ray, thinking of you big bro.

I'm not giving the official word, but Sorokin called me late last night, and there is speculation that John may have had a heart attack during his last pass. This would explain WOT way on past the finish with no chutes.

God Speed John,

The motor never leaned out, nor did I hear a backfire. No chutes either.

It has been reported that he was slumped over the steering wheel at the 1000 foot mark :(

Rest in Peace John

Love and Good Thoughts to Family and Friends

karl

I just read at DRC that John succumbed to injuries in a crash at Bakersfield. I had to re-read it because I couldn't believe it. I'm very sorry to hear this and my prayers go out to his family. RIP John

John Shoemaker was one of the racers who pushed for NHRA to start the Pro comp classes, which would become Top Alcohol Dragster/Funny Car! Godspeed my friend!:(

John's life was symbolized all that was great about drag racing, A TRUE LEGEND. A bucks down racing team that sacrificed everything to race. A craftsman that could build a car like no other. A guy that challenged the high dollar top alcohol class and still was able to sqeek out a win. A race team often made up of just his and his wife Judd. A man that loved God and Country.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back