John Asher finally says it, nhra & powerade (2 Viewers)

Re: John Asher Finally Says It!!

Just put nicotine in the Powerade......that'll keep 'em coming back for more.

1) What is the retail price of a pack of cigarettes vs. a bottle of Powerade?

Although the markup percentages may be the same for both RJR and Coke, there are more advertising $$$ available when your promoted product brings 4x's or more the sales and income of another item or brand.
I would bet the there is far greater profit in Powerade than any cigarette pack. The retail price of a pack of cigarettes, depending on which state you live in, is about 50-60% taxes.

Add to that added shipping cost for cigarettes since all Coca-Cola products are bottled at regional plants where as cigarettes are produced exclusively in particular regions.

If there are fewer advertising $$$ from Powerade, it is only because Coca-Cola is only giving them X number of dollars or that their market share is so small.

If John or Ron were to ever miss an NHRA event in order to attend an IHRA event, they'd probably have so much fun the would never go back.

Oh ya, and it would be real nice if the event they chose was Edmonton.

One can dream Jeremy, One can dream................

Not related to the Powerade deal but the two sanctioning bodies really should work together in the interest of building the sport. The more exposure to major league drag racing, the more fan base you'll build. It isn't rocket science.

Related to the Powerade deal is the fact I buy alot of the stuff during the winter for my kids hockey. I specifically buy the Powerade because of the sponsorship. I might have to rethink that stance next time I'm looking at both Gatorade & Powerade sitting next to each other on the store shelf. All of a sudden I don't feel much loyalty to Powerade anymore..........

Re: Poweraide + Compton=bs

Jet must have forgotten to put the crack on his Corn Flakes this morning and isn't fully awake yet. :D

The NHRA has done more to damage the visibility and growth of drag racing than any other person or thing. Many don't realize it but, Wally Parks and NHRA would not even return Winston's telephone calls when they came calling. Had it not been for Bill France Jr. and Ralph Seagraves (of RJR) Winston would have put it's money and talent behind another drag racing sanctioning body. The NHRA simply did not want a series sponsor that was bigger than themselves. There was a thought that Winston would take over drag racing and NHRA would be left out in the cold. This had nothing to do with cigarettes either. It had to do with control.

I don't think anyone really realizes how much Winston did for the sport. If a race track would put up a Winston sign, they could get the whole place painted in red and white. Some National Event tracks even got grandstands for placing Winston signs in strategic places. Winston came up with the idea of paying professional racers that were in the top 10 at every race. Who can forget the Winston Invitational Race, a race where the competitors were treated like royalty. At year end Winston paid the Champions. NHRA simply stood by and pulled in the money. And, don't forget, RJR even sponsored a few teams along the way.

If you ever met Ralph Seagraves, T. Wayne, Jeff Byrd, Deb, Jackie or any of the other RJR people, you just knew that they appreciated the racers and would do whatever they could to help them out. Some people were even given a one or two race sponsorship deal just to make sure they were out there racing, while looking for a sponsor.

At least NASCAR was smart enough not to sell out it's series sponsor rights for a few pennies. Bill France Jr. even said that if the price was not right, NASCAR would continue on without a series sponsor. The NHRA, on the other hand, went on a desperate search and took whatever came along. If you knew the marketing people and the logic within the NHRA, you could easily understand how they arrived where they are right now!

I know that Jon only presented a glimpse into the NHRA, but if he could, he could blew the lid right off that organization. Would that be good......maybe, maybe not.

Pat

I do believe Winston was with IHRA and Larry Carrier first.

I am sure that the contents of a bottle of poweraid, doesn't cost as much to produce as the plastic bottle does.

Jay

..........................I know that Jon only presented a glimpse into the NHRA, but if he could, he could blew the lid right off that organization. Would that be good......maybe, maybe not.

Pat
No Pat, that would NOT be a good thing for anyone invovled. And as I've said before, most of the articles that Mr. Asher writes, portray his aversion towards the sanctioning body. Agreed, surely it is his journalistic right to write about these things, but at the same time he should be offering solutions to the problems that he points out. That would be the responsible thing to do, if he cared about the sport. People bitch all the time, it doesn't accomplish anything.

I just read that Vodafone sponsors the McLaren F1 team to the tune of
UK£ 30million -- that's US$ 60million at current rates, on a single team. Apparently, with the Lewis Hamilton effect, Vodafone is very happy with the value it provides -- much better than when they backed Ferrari, they say.

Doesn't get us anywhere, of course, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Regarding Jay Rathman’s post it’s important to keep one of his key points in mind when discussing or thinking about this subject: He acknowledges never having seen the POWERade documents personally.

Because Mr. Rathman has not personally seen the contractual agreement between NHRA and POWERade his financial outline simply has no veracity. Simply put, he’s merely reporting something someone else told him. That does not make it factual, and again, I mean no personal insult to Mr. Rathman.

This is too important an issue to allow speculation to become “fact.”

The only people who really know the numbers are those who signed the agreement, but in my view that isn’t the primary issue here. The issue is the lack of support the sponsor has shown the series since signing that agreement.

Look at it this way. A web site recently “reported” that the Pro Stock Truck settlement was $7.5 million without providing anything in the way of proof other than having “heard it” from someone. That does not make that number the right one (and it isn’t, believe me).

“Hearing” that a deal is worth X amount has no validity whatsoever. If you can’t back it up with facts it’s nothing more than an unsubstantiated rumor.

Regarding P.J. Sapienza’s comments about O’Reilly’s, I was merely pointing out that NHRA had found it remarkably convenient to ignore one of their own marketing department “rules” when it was in their best interests to do so regardless of how that might impact the competitors.

Regarding Wayne Darlington’s post, it’s the sanctioning organization’s responsibility to FIND and SIGN a sponsor. If, and this is a big IF, the POWERade deal wasn’t a good one, then NHRA should have followed the lead of Mr. Compton when he said NHRA would proceed without a series sponsor if they couldn’t sign a “good one.”

As far as handing out free POWERade to a few fans at the end of a national event goes, that is indeed a very small point. While Winston never suggested that anyone start smoking, they did provide free product to the competitors. POWERade does not. The racers are expected to buy the product so that they can be seen using it, and therefore promote its “value” to the fans, who it’s then expected will buy it when they get home.

Why would a series sponsor desirous of promoting its product be asking those they want to do that promoting to buy it?

Maybe because they don’t have a real belief in the value of being involved with NHRA drag racing?

IF POWERade were solidly behind NHRA drag racing, and IF they believed NHRA drag racing was an exceptionally good promotional tool (which it very definitely is if utilized properly), giving product away by the truckload would be an obvious and extremely inexpensive way of expanding the public’s awareness of the product.

“Product” is the least expensive item any company has to offer. These are absolutely NOT real prices, I’m just throwing them out there for comparison purposes. So, IF a bottle of POWERade costs Coca-Cola fifty cents to produce, package, ship and market, and they retail that bottle for $2.00, the profit-per-bottle is obviously $1.50. So, each bottle that POWERade gives away only “costs” Coca-Cola $.50, yet they’re unwilling to even invest that small amount in support of the sport. On the contrary, they expect the racers to BUY the product for (remember, these aren’t “real” numbers) maybe $1.10, so no matter what, on every bottle of product the company is making at least something.

Dave Murphy, get real. NHRA and IHRA are competitors for the spectator’s dollars. The only area in which there’s even a modicum of cooperation is in national event scheduling. They do try to avoid scheduling conflicts with events are too close to one another geographically, and even then it’s not always successful.

Jon Asher

The 2 threads on this have now been combined

Jon I understand that the guideline has been in place regarding sponsoring pro teams and yes more money should get to the teams. But should a sponsor be turned away if all they want to do is sponsor a race? Englishtown recently had a sponsor that I beleive was new to the sport. I would think thats a good thing to get new money in for 3 reasons. First and I may be naive on this but isn't that race sponsorship money used at least in part to run the event? Secondly, could this not be a good entry way for a business to see if they want to become further involved? Lastly if the company is a local or regional business then the pull of a nationwide team sponsorship may not suit their needs but sponsoring a race or two in their market may be best for them.

I just hate the idea of turning sponsorship money away.

No Pat, that would NOT be a good thing for anyone invovled. And as I've said before, most of the articles that Mr. Asher writes, portray his aversion towards the sanctioning body. Agreed, surely it is his journalistic right to write about these things, but at the same time he should be offering solutions to the problems that he points out. That would be the responsible thing to do, if he cared about the sport. People bitch all the time, it doesn't accomplish anything.

Agreed Lance, John does tend to ruffle the feathers of those in charge at the NHRA and often is quite negative. It has often been said, don't stand too close to John at a NHRA national event for fear that the sniper may miss.

To some extent I can understand why John does not offer constructive criticism. When presented with constructive criticism, the elite management types simply blow you off. Or, as John stated, when Compton was questioned about the money behind the Powerade deal, Compton gave a quick blow off then turned his back and walked away. It's like the only media the NHRA wants to talk to are those that they can control. And, in John's case, they cannot control him. Lance, I'm sure you will agree, John is more of a racer's media guy than a NHRA media guy.

If you read some of John's earlier writings, you will see that at one time he did offer criticism and then solutions. I guess with age he got tired of hitting himself in the head with the NHRA hammer.

Pat

Has Powerade ever been on a car sponsorwise, NOT the Logo mandate either. Winston sponsored a TF Dragster and FC for what 10 years? I'm not sure but between Smokin Joe's and the Winston deals, Winston was really behind the Sport of Drag racing. I do believ O'Reilly was on Scott Palmer's Dragster a couple of years ago for a few races, but that's it.

Jon, while I do like your reporting and your investigation efforts to get as many facts as you can, I do think that most of your editorials do not promote the sport in general. Maybe that is your niche or BB's mandate to you, I don't know.
Thank being said, life is really too short to look at the negative side of things all the time.
With your ability, brains and contacts in the sport you could become a very rich man soliciting sponsors and telling said sponsors, what they need to do for the sport that you seem to have so much passion for. Maybe journalism should not be where you make your mark.
Not that I am saying NHRA would walk up to you and hire you as their marketing guru,
If you spent as much time looking to improve the sport as you do finding things wrong with it, you might become the next Tom Compton (The new boss under HD)
I do feel you are passionate for the sport, and are as knowledgeable as any journalist out there. But find something positive to right about or send a letter to the hierarchy with positive suggestions to fix the issues instead of just lambasting their inadequacies.
Again this post is not meant to be anything more than an observation from a guy as passionate about the sport as you are.
But I am getting to the age where the all negatives do not help your own self worth.

Sorry if this comes across redundent.

Dean Murdoch, editor,
SPEEDZONE MAGAZINE ONLINE

Let the bashing begin:p;):D

OK guys, I have a novel idea....LET'S SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!! Let's not pick apart the messenger, let's pick apart the message. BTW, who else is going to tell you what Jon has told you??? Geiger? Ya' right!

Pat

Has Powerade ever been on a car sponsorwise, NOT the Logo mandate either. Winston sponsored a TF Dragster and FC for what 10 years? I'm not sure but between Smokin Joe's and the Winston deals, Winston was really behind the Sport of Drag racing. I do believ O'Reilly was on Scott Palmer's Dragster a couple of years ago for a few races, but that's it.

I think Winston sponsored Angelle on too

Dave Murphy, get real. NHRA and IHRA are competitors for the spectator’s dollars. The only area in which there’s even a modicum of cooperation is in national event scheduling. They do try to avoid scheduling conflicts with events are too close to one another geographically, and even then it’s not always successful.Jon Asher

I have to disagree with you Jon, although it freaks me out a bit to do so. I love your columns and all you do for the sport and respect you immensely.

NHRA and IHRA are in the business of drag racing, yes they're competitors but its in both their interest to grow the sport is it not? I just think that to grow the sport you need to market it in a way that piques some interest to newcomers. Whether it be the hype with Ashley, Driving Force on A&E or IHRA going to Western Canada or NHRA looking at Mexico. Whatever they do, they need to get newcomers curious and wanting to come out to a national event. We all know that once you experience an event live, you're most likely hooked.

That is where I think the two sanctioning bodies should work a little closer with each other. The more national events available between the two, the more opportunity for new fans. Instead of scheduling conflicting events, competing for teams and tracks, ect I can't help but think with a little
co-operation between the two, they're in a win/win position.

IHRA coming to Edmonton for example. They draw 40,000+ for the weekend, in a market NHRA didn't want. There's now new drag racing fans that weren't there before. Some of them are going to start following NHRA are they not?

Sorry for getting off-topic, and I suppose in the business world this isn't realistic. I subscribe to the "Why can't everyone just get along" theory and sometimes, wish it applied here.

Jon, while I do like your reporting and your investigation efforts to get as many facts as you can, I do think that most of your editorials do not promote the sport in general. Maybe that is your niche or BB's mandate to you, I don't know.
Thank being said, life is really too short to look at the negative side of things all the time.
With your ability, brains and contacts in the sport you could become a very rich man soliciting sponsors and telling said sponsors, what they need to do for the sport that you seem to have so much passion for. Maybe journalism should not be where you make your mark.
Not that I am saying NHRA would walk up to you and hire you as their marketing guru,
If you spent as much time looking to improve the sport as you do finding things wrong with it, you might become the next Tom Compton (The new boss under HD)
I do feel you are passionate for the sport, and are as knowledgeable as any journalist out there. But find something positive to right about or send a letter to the hierarchy with positive suggestions to fix the issues instead of just lambasting their inadequacies.
Again this post is not meant to be anything more than an observation from a guy as passionate about the sport as you are.
But I am getting to the age where the all negatives do not help your own self worth.

Sorry if this comes across redundent.

Dean Murdoch, editor,
SPEEDZONE MAGAZINE ONLINE

Let the bashing begin:p;):D

Post of the day,
Thank you Dean.;)

... If you spent as much time looking to improve the sport as you do finding things wrong with it, .... But find something positive to right about or send a letter to the hierarchy with positive suggestions to fix the issues instead of just lambasting their inadequacies.
What has led you to believe that NHRA will listen to any suggestions that those reporting on the sport might make?

From my persepctive, experience has proven just the opposite.

Unless reporters like Asher uncover all the dirt and point out NHRA's short comings, who else is going to cast the glare and force NHRA to step up and actually improve?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back