Wolf added and Asher gets a promotion at Torco's CompetitionPlus (1 Viewer)

That's all we need to help promote the image of the sport we love so much, pile more people on the band wagon to bash it's sanctioning body.

What is "The Real Drag Racing News"? All the dirt that can be dug up on the sanctioning body, team owners and drivers, because after all this is what sells, correct?

“We are determined to bring accountability to the sport of drag race reporting. We believe that honest, fair reporting of confirmed facts"
In that same breath then, they need to do just that, report on the facts and keep their opinionated takes out of the stories, otherwise, it's not journalism, it's just their opinions.

When is the last time that these "professionals journalist" have written something that is actually beneficial in promoting the sport of Professional Drag Racing? It's very obvious that Mr. Asher has a beef with the group in Glendora; he expresses it in every piece he writes.

Mr. Bennett, I think that you are a great asset to this board, I love what you have accomplished with Compplus, but Jeff Wolf’s article on the Countdown was a total piece of journalistic crap.

Last edited:
That's all we need to help promote the image of the sport we love so much, pile more people on the band wagon to bash it's sanctioning body.

What is "The Real Drag Racing News"? All the dirt that can be dug up on the sanctioning body, team owners and drivers, because after all this is what sells, correct?

“We are determined to bring accountability to the sport of drag race reporting. We believe that honest, fair reporting of confirmed facts"
In that same breath then, they need to do just that, report on the facts and keep their opinionated takes out of the stories, otherwise, it's not journalism, it's just their opinions.

When is the last time that these "professionals journalist" have written something that is actually beneficial in promoting the sport of Professional Drag Racing? It's very obvious that Mr. Asher has a beef with the group in Glendora; he expresses it in every piece he writes.

Mr. Bennett, I think that you are a great asset to this board, I love what you have accomplished with Compplus, but Jeff Wolf’s article on the Countdown was a total piece of journalistic crap.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Many people, however, are in total agreement with much of what these two journalists write. I personally am thankful that someone, anyone, keeps the pressure on NHRA to give more consideration to the racers and sponsors.... You know, those people who are the reason other people are making a good deal of money from drag racing?

This is nothing new. It was that way back in the 70's and in many respects, not much has changed. Only the people and the $$ involved.

NHRA should be promoting drag racing, not the racers. I'd like to see that change.

I'm sure both of these people understand the simple truth that you can't please everyone. I'm also pretty sure that what they write about is not solely their own opinions because they have 'axes to grind'. No one lasts very long in reporting if they do that. I don't know much about Jeff Wolf, but I've been reading Jon Asher's articles for as long as he's been writing them. Back when I was actively involved in the sport, he was always seen talking with racers. Haven't been to a national event in some time, but I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'm pretty sure he is still doing that, to gather information for his articles. That's what journalist's do before they write an article.

You don't have to agree with what any journalist says, but to say they have an axe to grind, because you don't happen to see it their way, I don't think is a fair statement. Lots of people write. Few endure.

Sweet

Bobby,

Congrats on the addition and promotion!

Lance, journalism = afflict the comforted and comfort the afflicted.

Brian

Lance - I think everyone knows that Jeff and I go back a long way and how much I respect him. He has the courage to state what is obviously wrong (to almost all of us) with the NHRA. I've never met Mr. Asher, but he also has the guts to call it "Like It Is".

Bobby - a great move! I'm sure most of the Maters are looking forward to these columns. Suits at NHRA are probably watching - :D

Great moves by adding Jeff & promoting Asher... Comp Plus can only get better (and it's already great) with those two involved.

A Great move indeed! Can't geet enough of Asher. I like Berk over at DRO too. And what happend to Darr? I liked the west coast column he had. And speaking of that what's going on in Banning? Pretty quiet out there!

Lance - I think everyone knows that Jeff and I go back a long way and how much I respect him. He has the courage to state what is obviously wrong (to almost all of us) with the NHRA. I've never met Mr. Asher, but he also has the guts to call it "Like It Is"..............................
Jim - Without a doubt, NHRA has alot that needs improving on, but slinging ink at them over and over is doing nothing to promote the sport, if anything it is detrimental to the sport. These guys should be trying to help grow the sport, not rip it apart. They can do alot of good by promoting the positive aspects of the sport.

NHRA has also done alot right since Tom Compton has arrived. NHRA's events are presented very professionally, and they run like clockwork. Fans don't have to sit through oil down after oil down like the old days, they can bring new fans in and have them walk away feeling like their price of admission was worth every penny.

Looks like Billy Gebhart will go on another Rant!:confused:

Hey Joe!
Thank's for inviting me in!! I was initially dismayed when you called my diatribe a "rant", when we had clearly agreed it was "sarcasm" in the previous Asher thread, but M-W set me straight again,transitive verb : to utter in a bombastic declamatory fashion so we'll go with it!!
What I have to ask is...Would KingNitro or Beautifull Noise have backed away from that thread so fast?? Or is Joe Sherwood a less forcefull, less defiant incarnation of his alter-egos??

I can't actually recall reading any of Jeff Wolf's past work, so I will plead ignorance until I've done proper research...any links Jackee?? As for Jon, just because his writing doesn't appeal to me, I bear no ill will towards him, I hope he's successfull, healthy, and happy for a good long time.

I understand exactly where Alan and others stand on the subject of NHRA bashing...it's weird, my buddies and I will be competing at a National or Divisional, and we'll sit around and say, "these guys are idiots, why do they do this stuff", and rip the NHRA up...but someone at a bracket race or on a website, that doesn't run NHRA starts in...and we are the first, and most vocal to defend them!!
I guess it's just the 'foxhole' mentality to some extent, but it's more than that...For alot of us on the Divsional or National circuit, the NHRA isn't a bunch of suits in Glendora...The NHRA represents real people, genuine people that we have come to appreciate and respect.
Nikki Bailey just announced her resignation from Div. 5. I only raced that Division once or twice a year, but my Dad, and brother race there. Every time I would approach the trailer to get my credentials, she would greet me with a smile, and a comment about "that division 7 Gebhart is visiting his family"...Her and Rob Park made you feel like they appreciated the effort you made to come race with them.
Mike Rice has completely transformed racing in Division 7, and it makes you feel good to have a DD who takes pride in putting on a quality event, and Ben Wilson and the tech crew work tirelessly to create a safe and fair racing environment. So, yes, I'm pro-NHRA, and I'm proud of it, and I'm only going to watch someone run up the backside of the organization so many times before I turn around and say something about it.

Last edited:
Hey Joe!
Thank's for inviting me in!! I was initially dismayed when you called my diatribe a "rant", when we had clearly agreed it was "sarcasm" in the previous Asher thread, but M-W set me straight again,transitive verb : to utter in a bombastic declamatory fashion so we'll go with it!!
What I have to ask is...Would KingNitro or Beautifull Noise have backed away from that thread so fast?? Or is Joe Sherwood a less forcefull, less defiant incarnation of his alter-egos??

I can't actually recall reading any of Jeff Wolf's past work, so I will plead ignorance until I've done proper research...any links Jackee?? As for Jon, just because his writing doesn't appeal to me, I bear no ill will towards him, I hope he's successfull, healthy, and happy for a good long time.

I understand exactly where Alan and others stand on the subject of NHRA bashing...it's weird, my buddies and I will be competing at a National or Divisional, and we'll sit around and say, "these guys are idiots, why do they do this stuff", and rip the NHRA up...but someone at a bracket race or on a website, that doesn't run NHRA starts in...and we are the first, and most vocal to defend them!!
I guess it's just the 'foxhole' mentality to some extent, but it's more than that...For alot of us on the Divsional or National circuit, the NHRA isn't a bunch of suits in Glendora...The NHRA represents real people, genuine people that we have come to appreciate and respect.
Nikki Bailey just announced her resignation from Div. 5. I only raced that Division once or twice a year, but my Dad, and brother race there. Every time I would approach the trailer to get my credentials, she would greet me with a smile, and a comment about "that division 7 Gebhart is visiting his family"...Her and Rob Park made you feel like they appreciated the effort you made to come race with them.
Mike Rice has completely transformed racing in Division 7, and it makes you feel good to have a DD who takes pride in putting on a quality event, and Ben Wilson and the tech crew work tirelessly to create a safe and fair racing environment. So, yes, I'm pro-NHRA, and I'm proud of it, and I'm only going to watch someone run up the backside of the organization so many times before I turn around and say something about it.

Hey Billy.... I know one of JW's articles was posted on 'mater but I can't recall when, whether it was 'old' or 'new' mater.... I'll do a search shortly to see what I can come up with.

I think it's fair to say, that the "hands on" people from NHRA ... the people who are at all the divisional meets and functions who actually are working side by side with the racers, are great people, It's been a long, long time since I attended divisional meets on a regular basis, but I suspect nothing has changed much in that frame of reference. From what I've read from both of these writer's , they are referring to the people in NHRA headquarters, who they refer to collectively as "NHRA".

We all know what happens to racers who speak their mind concerning NHRA. At least as journalists, they are able to speak their mind, which, by the way, also happens to reflect the opinions of a great many other people in drag racing. People are free to disagree.

Personally, I feel that having a 'thorn in the flesh' so to speak, can be a positive thing. It serves as a reminder to the person/group/organization, that the decisions they make and the actions they take may not go unchallenged. Criticizm can be a vehicle to affect change for the better. And that is always a good thing.

Just my opinion, of course.

Oh, P.S. Our Division Director from back in the day, was the 2nd person I reconnected with from racing, when I went on-line. That friendship has lasted a long time

Last edited:
Billy thanks for the Recognition, just because I use my real name now doesn't mean I haven't taken heat for some of my opinions here. Don't believe me just look up the Oildown fines thread. I'm as Big a fan of NHRA Drag racing as there is, but I do not agree with a LOT of the decisions that are made. Just about every Crewchief has told Graham Light that the 85% rule has increased costs from 90%. It's obvious Compton/Light don't care about reigning in Costs or they would listen to those type of comments from the Racers who Spend the Mega$$$ and make adjustments. Writers like Jeff Wolf and Jon Asher tell the Side that many fans like me have regarding decisions made in Glendora. For those who think there going to get to Whole story out of Phil Burgess, I'd like to know what your smoking!:confused:

Last edited:
Billy,

First, please accept my compliments for a very thoughtful and lucid post. We need more like it here whenever there's a difference of opinion.

I don't personally know Jeff and have read just a handful of his columns. However, I've been reading Asher's stuff since I was a teenager and always enjoy the conversations I've had with him through the years.

Why does the above matter? Just to preface my statement that I have NEVER read anything either of them have written that reflects badly on the NHRA workers in the trenches.

When they do point out faults with the NHRA, it's always been with the Glendora staff -- the people who are actually able to effect a change and are just not following orders. That's an important distinction, I think.

Hey Joe!

Wolf Added And Asher Gets Promotion...

While some of what I've written over the years has been defended here, I would like to add one important point: At no time have I ever had that proverbial axe to grind with the NHRA.

The association was and continues to be the single most important group in the promotion and growth of drag racing. I've witnessed that growth, and the changes that have come with it, for more than 40 years as a journalist.

But, for every positive that has resulted from NHRA's management of the sport there have been an equal number of negatives, and clearly, there are a number of competitors and fans who would prefer that those negatives never see the light of day.

I have had numerous "confrontations" with NHRA officials over the years, and in many instances, but certainly not all, the conversation goes something like this:

"That story you just wrote was really bad?"

"Which one?"

"The one about (fill in the blank)"

"Did I make a factual error in that story?"

"Well, nobody cares about that stuff."

"I beg to differ with you. There are about 100 pro racers out here who care a great deal about (again, fill in the blank)."

"Well, it was wrong!"

"What portion of the story was wrong, because if I've made a factual error I will do everything possible t correct it."

"People don't want to read about that kind of stuff."

"So, NHRA is now the censor of stories and should determine what's published?"

"That story was bad for drag racing."

"Why? Because it outlined how (fill in the blank again!), which is the responsibility of the NHRA, and you failed to correct that problem."

"We don't like stuff like this in print."

"So let's bottom line this. You can't point out a factual error, you just didn't like the story because it didn't reflect positively on NHRA. If that's it, that you just didn't like the story, this conversation is over."

When I, or anyone else who writes about drag racing, points out a flaw in the system, or an error that should have been corrected, or a timer malfunction that unfairly "punished" some drivers, or a scheduling scenario that actually detracts from an eliminator's ability to produce positive publicity for its sponsors, we are not taking shots at NHRA. We are hoping that the problem will be corrected, and we've fouund through hard experience that the only way to bring about change is to bring all of these problems areas into sharper focus, and in front of the public.

To suggest that Jeff Wolf or anyone else who writes about the sport should be always positive and only print "approved" stories is to completely throw the Constitution out the window. That's how the press is managed in many countries around the world but thankfully, not here.

I and many others know so-called "journalits" who definitely have a personal vendetta against NHRA, because it's obvious from the drivel that pours from their computers relentlessly. Thankfully, many of them are no longer writing about the sport.

There was an incident some years back when one of these people published something completely without basis in fact. An NHRA official asked me if I knew the writer, which I did. The official was thinking of writing a rebuttal letter. I strongly urged him not to respond, as that would just feed this individual's ego. I further suggested that ignoring the writer would be the best path to take. Unfortunately, someone else at NHRA did write a letter, one stamped top and bottom "Not For Publication."

The writer immediately published the entire letter in his magazine's next issue!

Astonishingly, the NHRA official then doubled his error with yet a second "Not For Publication" letter which (you guessed), the guy also published.

Yes, this was one of those people whose sole aim was to be negative towards NHRA regardless of the reasoning.

As an aside, I've received several "Not For Publication" letters from Wally Parks, and not only did I NOT publish them, years later I'm still afraid to even re-read them!

I'm sure I'll get flamed for suggesting this, but I've found that many of the people who are stridently and vociferously anti-NHRA are often older racers and/or fans who are no longer participating in the sport on a regular basis. For some unfathomable reason, with each passing year they've managed to convince themselves that somehow, NHRA is to blame for their not being involved. They ignore their own changing lives, where family and the responsibilities that go along with that simply forced them to choose between a new supercharger and braces for the kid's teeth. Yeah, that might be a simplification of sorts, but regardless, NHRA's not at fault for their having dropped by the wayside, so don't blame them.

There is a hell of a difference between criticism written with an aim towards correcting a problem, and criticism written simply for the goal of inciting anger, or written as personal attacks against individuals.

Jon Asher

Thanks for writing Jon, what you wrote speaks volumes............................................

The earth is spinning backwards

Just so you know, I found a "positive" column praising the NHRA by Jeff Wolf, so that makes one.

And, hold on to something solid, the earth is going to reverse rotation...

I just read a "second" positive article by Asher. Stay tuned.

"Some decisions by NHRA would have you believe alcohol must flow freely at some of its meetings. Can anyone be that arrogant to make these recent decisions unless they're liquored up?

NHRA randomly tests its race car drivers for drugs or alcohol, and that policy should be extended to include all NHRA employees, including top brass and board members -- especially board members.

It's no secret that after NHRA national events free beer flows, and there have been incidents when NHRA folks have been involved in wrecks. Some incidents have been covered up.

Changes must be made inside NHRA headquarters. Sadly, some of those who need to be fired are the only ones who can do the firing.

What's worse than what NHRA does is how they do it and how they believe they are not accountable to anyone other than their personal accountants. Too many NHRA decision-makers don't seem to get it: Drag racing is bigger than any one person."

The above was cut and pasted from one of the columns by Jeff Wolf, to which Dan Lea gratiously supplied a link. I read several more of his NHRA based columns, and probably would have read even more, but Bobby's made it hard for me to stay focused with his "stay tuned" hype!!

The column was written in response to Jeff's obvious dismay and disaproval
over the announcement of the proposed "countdown". While I agree fervently that it was a bad decision made by weak leadership which far too often looks to NASCAR for ideas instead of forging thier own...I fail to see how the above five paragraph attack can be considered relevant, timely, or responsible.
But hey, put it to music and Jeff may have a hit song; for reference, I suggest Van Morrison's 2005 Album, Magic Time, which features his best vent on the evil record execs, "Carry On Regardless", set to an awesome blues inspired guitar rif, by the Late Foggy Lytle...it's as Van says in the fading bars..."too much fun".

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back