Jim Kelly passes (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
One of the best drag racing photographers ever Jim Kelly passed away yesterday. I knew Jim in the 60's and 70's when he spent most of his time at Lions, Orange County, and Irwindale and he was a fantastic photographer and one of the nicest people you ever wanted to meet, he always had time to talk with you and take pics of your car if you asked him. This is a loss for drag racing.
RIP Jim

That was a good read, thanks for sharing Jon and sorry for the loss of your friend and for the loss to the greater drag racing world in general.

I did know Jim Kelly back in the day and he was one of my hero's. He published many of my photos in the the long departed SS/DI mag and always valued his friendship and guidance!

I did not know this. As a kid, my Dad and Jim Kelly were great friends who shared the same passions. I spent a great deal of time at Jim's house, and still have a pile of his B&W photos that he gave me. I always thought about scanning them, and adding them to Jim Irvin's photo posts.

I will have to ask my Dad if this was him. I always think of him when I pass the house he lived in.

Anyone know if he lived in Stockton, CA? He would shoot everything at Kingdon. I'll have to find out. If so, he was a huge inspiration for this kid.

I check to see what everyone is reading, especially the middle of the night, and go back too some incredible threads thanks to vistors. A Bot was reading this, as often happens.
Ray and Cliff, I agree 100% on how cool old photos are (B&W are my favorites) I'm just glad I kept all of
my magazines from back in the day. Drag Racing, would become Drag Racing USA, June 1970. All of my
Drag Racing Pictorial, Drag Racing Photo Greats, and of course SS&DI. Maybe just maybe my two favorite
writers (SS&DI) the late Steve Collison and the late Woody Hatten and the photographers from days gone
by. Short list of my favorites, to many to list!

Jim Kelly
Steve Reyes
John Shanks
Bob McClurg
Eric Richman
Jeff Tinsley
Tom West
Larry "Max" Maxwell (L&M Photos) I think Max and Jon Asher took most of the photos,
remember Fleer drag racing cards from the early 70s you could by at the drug store and
it came with bubble gum.
And last but not least my favorite Jere Alhadeff

Fleer cards

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The only magazine that has even come close to the "Good Old Days" the 9 issues of Elapsed Times from
2012 to 2016
Here is a video from Woody Hatten. I'm sure it's been posted before, but it will kill 13 minutes of your
dying day!

Last edited:
Those are cool Jim. I have sleeved binder fulls of cards of all sorts. Thanks Gran! It's trying to get too them that poses an issue.

Jim1.jpg

I took most of the crinkles out Jim. I'm out of card stock however. ✌️

Last edited:
I could never get enough of that bubble gum, after licking that white dust off. ;)

I found a pretty cool article on Jere Adhaleff.

Sure happy I grew up back then.
Great article from Fuel Curve. I have had Fuel Curve bookmarked since early 2016. I think that's
when it started. I met Jere in 1996 (winter nats) at the golf course. Puddingstone Lake, San Dimas
It was a drag racing memorabilia show and I bought 2 Jerry Ruth photos from Jere, nice guy!
The bubble gum sometimes was rock hard, ouch...LOL
It's hard to pick a favorite photo from that article, every picture is fantastic!...but
Time-Capsule-%E2%80%93-Through-the-Lens-of-Jere-Alhadeff-30-of-31-RS.jpg

AA/FD It's the Atlas Oil Tool Special with Steve "The Mandrill" Carbone in the seat heading for the traps. Man I miss those days.
It brings a tear to my eyes. I'm so glad I was born in 1959

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back