Jeg, How does he do it ????? (1 Viewer)

camaro

Nitro Member
There are several drivers in prostock that are considered holeshot artist and are masters at cutting the tree down, however with most drivers who consistently cut the tree down, they often end up on the other side and red light occasionally. All except Jeg that is. For someone who squeezes the tree that hard , the guy rarely red lights, its truly amazing that someone can have reflexes that fast without ever going over center and fouling. How brutal is this class, when starting in the second round up to the final, the slowest RT was Greg Anderson's .039 in which he tacked on lo et of eliminations and still lost !!

I think some drivers are naturals and some practice alot, Jeg is a combination of both.

In my humble and biased opinion, Jeg is one of the best pure drivers in the history of NHRA. That guy can drive the wheels off of anything he gets in. And he's a helluva nice guy too.

In my humble and biased opinion, Jeg is one of the best pure drivers in the history of NHRA. That guy can drive the wheels off of anything he gets in. And he's a helluva nice guy too.

Jeggy is just livin right! I just love it when he beats that Summit team that tests 5 days a week!

A few years back, I think about the time Jeg won his first championship, they did a TV interview at his home.
He had a chassis set up in his rec room complete with all the driver controls and a practice tree. I'm sure that that has a lot to do with his ability to cut great lights.

A few years back, I think about the time Jeg won his first championship, they did a TV interview at his home.
He had a chassis set up in his rec room complete with all the driver controls and a practice tree. I'm sure that that has a lot to do with his ability to cut great lights.
Bingo! How do you get to the MET? Practice, Practice, Practice!

Jeg is an awesome driver for sure. The biggest thing I see from him is that he is and has always been incredibly mentally tough. That is such a huge aspect of this game. It seems like right now he is having a run where he can do no wrong, which is pretty typical for someone at the top of their game. I guess the only consolation for the rest of the Pro Stock class is with the point series the way it is now, his hot hand could cool off by the time it actually counts.

In that interview Jeggie stated that he made around 400 'passes' each week. A certain competitor of his made fun of that in an interview later that season. Who's laughing now?

I've said this before (on this board) and I'm more convinced than ever...Jeggie is easily the best driver in Pro Stock and has to be considered in the top 5 Pro Stock drivers of all time.

Jeggie is connected to his race car for sure.

Before Mike Dunn can say "Jeggie's 60 foot was a little soft at One-Oh-One" you can hear Jeggie in the car slowing down saying "It felt very soft off the line, picked it up in the middle, and I might have hit fourth about 35 RPM too high but we got the win and that's what counts."

Definitely a gifted driver.

although im a huge fan of the summit cars- jeggie is an absolute machine!!!!! i cant see anyone winning the pro stock title this year or the next few but him :mad: LOL. his reaction times and thier power is an unbeatable combo! IMO, jeggie is the best pure driver/leaver in the history of the sport. i dont root for him but man i really respect his talent of driving. JEG IN A SUMMIT CAR- NOW!!! :D

He's a beast. I'm amazed at how he can hope into a sportman car with a different light, car..everything and still cut a light. Truely one of the most gifted all around drivers

The last time I said that I was barraged with comments like "what about Ronnie Sox,Bob Glidden, Lee Shepherd " etc.
If PS continues into the future, Jeg will stand the test of time:cool:

The last time I said that I was barraged with comments like "what about Ronnie Sox,Bob Glidden, Lee Shepherd " etc.

Same here, Jack, and I was a HUGE Shepherd fan.

There's just no denyin' Jeggie. He's just incredible.

Sean D

It's simple re: Jeggie's success

And 90% of the posters/viewers have NO CLUE who the guy is I'm quoting is.

A guy named Joaquin Arnett once said to an aspiring drag racer, (abt 1956)

"Go home and PRACTICE 'N PRACTICE!".

Joaquin was the prime mover of the BEAN BANDITS!

90% still stumptd, I'm sure.

Point is, Jeggie PRACTICES!

Last edited:
Norm,

You wouldn't be the "Porter" of "Porter and Reis," would you?

(backward scoop guys?)

Just checkin'..

Bill

I know where you're coming from Jack. There's no bigger Sox & Marting fan than me. I enjoy a personal friendship with 'Mr 4-Speed', Herb McCandless to this day. Pro Stock in the 70's and 80's is nothing like today. We have fields so close that 3-thousands is considered a huge advantage. We have drivers cutting .00 lights with regularity. None of that existed 20 or 30 years ago.

Jeggie can drive the wheels off a SS/AA HEMI Cuda' then hop in a Pro Stocker and do the same. None of us have ever seen the skill to do both better than anyone else. I just wish he still drove a Dodge...:(

Jeggie is a machine. Plain and simple. Like John said, he's one of the few who can step from a pro stocker to a hemi cuda to a dragster to his wagon and still win national events and big money bracket races like there's nothing to it. There isint but a handful of guys who can do that and consistently win. Personally I think Scotty Richardson and Jeggie are the best there is.

Jeggie is a machine. Plain and simple. Like John said, he's one of the few who can step from a pro stocker to a hemi cuda to a dragster to his wagon and still win national events and big money bracket races like there's nothing to it. There isn't but a handful of guys who can do that and consistently win. Personally I think Scotty Richardson and Jeggie are the best there is.

Justin,

I totally agree. Different cars, different classes, different trees...it doesn't seem to affect him. He amazes me. He knows exactly what his car is doing. I read a comment on here a few weeks back that Jeggie never built a motor. That could be true, but in today's environment the engine builders don't win the races, the drivers do. With technology being so equal, it's the driver that gets the win light these days.

It's simple re: Jeggie's success

And 90% of the posters/viewers have NO CLUE who the guy is I'm quoting is.

A guy named Joaquin Arnett once said to an aspiring drag racer, (abt 1956)

"Go home and PRACTICE 'N PRACTICE!".

Joaquin was the prime mover of the BEAN BANDITS!

90% still stumptd, I'm sure.

Point is, Jeggie PRACTICES!

X2!!!! jeggie has his simulated pro stock cockpit, seat, pedal set-up, steering , ect ,ect, he even wears his race stuff to simulate real race day, and ill bet in his off time he must go at least 1,000 lights a week, who knows maybe 2,000. while greg and jason are using the dynos and building motors, warren, stanfield, allen johnson, morgan ect ect ect lots of pro stock guys have a lot of other stuff going on, but with a great crew, jeggie only has to worry about driving, and hitting the practice tree.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back