Jeb Allen backs Leah (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Just saw on Compplus.com that Jeb Allen's company will back Leah for one race. So cool to see him back in T/F. Sorry I can't transfer the article, but thought it was great to see this happen.

While that's great news, if DSR knew how Humboldt Redwood treated it's employees, he'd scrape the sticker off himself. I used to work for them, lol

While that's great news, if DSR knew how Humboldt Redwood treated it's employees, he'd scrape the sticker off himself. I used to work for them, lol
Yeah! And when I was 18 I used to work for NAPA.....they made me work on Sunday mornings! Imagine that crap! BOO Ron Capps!

Yeah! And when I was 18 I used to work for NAPA.....they made me work on Sunday mornings! Imagine that crap! BOO Ron Capps!
Trust me, not the same thing. I worked there 29 years and when HRC took over, all the generations-old employees gradually left and within about a year, they had to advertise in any paper they could find begging people to work there. I quit within 5 years and cringe when I hear stories from friends who still work there. Believe me, if you knew what you were talking about, you'd cringe, too.

It's hilarious to me to see posts like this of an NHRA sponsor (albeit indirect). Did you go look at their GlassDoor ratings and reviews? .... almost as funny as this post ... especially the one from 2013 talking about the new managers about to drive them bankrupt. As an employee, it is clearly your right to vote with your feet, but as an NHRA fan, I sure wish you'd think through talking about those who sponsor the sport.

.... and I'll withhold my newly revised image of big tough lumberjacks...

Last edited:
Sponsoring a race car for one race doesn't change the facts. I was the 4th generation of my family to work there, back when it was known as Pacific Lumber, you've never even driven by the place, so guess who knows more on the subject? I don't want to get into a pissing match with you or Bob, but if you support people or companies based only by what they can do for you, then you're part of the problem. Nobody I've ever worked with directly ever questioned my ability, intelligence or mental or physical toughness when it came to doing my job. Go ahead and support who you choose and I'll do the same.

Questionable sponsors? As someone who works in the underground fuel tank industry seeing Kramers American Ethanol E15 sponsor makes me cringe.
Ethanol is evil, this is what I see everyday...
As of 2018 fuel is sold as E10 , 10% blend. Ethanol has no place in underground fuel tanks. If it goes to 15% , expect more leaking tanks and piping in the ground, metal corrosion. lower fuel mileage, etc just as we saw 20 years ago when E10 was introduced. https://breakingenergy.com/2015/06/04/new-study-continuing-problems-with-e15/

I didn't mean to derail the topic. I'm a huge fan of DSR in general, due to Don's contribution to drag racing and I'm glad he's getting sponsorship to help keep Leah on the track as well as really thrilled to see Jeb Allen involved in racing. I agree though, not a fan of ethanol.

Sponsoring a race car for one race doesn't change the facts. I was the 4th generation of my family to work there, back when it was known as Pacific Lumber, you've never even driven by the place, so guess who knows more on the subject? I don't want to get into a pissing match with you or Bob, but if you support people or companies based only by what they can do for you, then you're part of the problem. Nobody I've ever worked with directly ever questioned my ability, intelligence or mental or physical toughness when it came to doing my job. Go ahead and support who you choose and I'll do the same.

I don't understand. If it was so terrible to work there, how did it wind up being 4 generations working there? Seems like the earlier generations would have warned those coming behind. For instance, I had many family members in the past that were coal miners in Eastern Kentucky. To a man, they said they would break my legs before they let me become a coal miner. That's how you really know it is bad place to work.

Again, I don't want to derail this any further, so I'll keep it short. It WAS a great place to work. The company was started in 1869 and for many, many years was like heaven. There was actually a book written about the place in the '70's called "Life in The Peace Zone". It was a company town and was extremely clean and well run. The school was excellent ,kids behaved. You could rent a house for $75 a month as late as the early '80's. Since the company had a power plant and a water plant, no electric bills or water bills ever. When I went to work in '85 they had not only a VERY generous pension, but an company-matched investment plan quite similar to a 401K. To get a job there you had to wait until someone got fired (almost never) or died or retired. Once you got hired, it didn't matter that you started out pulling boards or whatever, you could apply for any open position and they would train you. Mechanic, millwright, electrician, painter, whatever you wanted. Some people wound up in the main office doing personnel, purchasing or whatever. The company sold stock and split every few years and the employees who bought stock profited greatly. Then came an article in the SF Chronicle that told the story of this place and it caught the eye of a corporate raider in the Texas who bought the place. Things changed but at least he was smart enough to realize the value of skilled workers, and every job there had been perfected through generations of refinement. Over the next 20 years, the owner put next to nothing back into the company,yet took massive loans out against the company's timber until there was nothing left to take and they filed for bankruptcy. A court in Texas awarded the sale of the company assets to the Fisher family (who also own the Gap clothing stores and the Oakland A's baseball team) under the condition that they keep the place running for 5 years. After 5 years they hired a new CEO, who changed the way we do things to his way. Production plummeted, people were fired, he brought in some minions, production dropped even further, costs soared and more people were fired. The ones fired were never the people the new CEO brought in, it was always the guys who'd been there 20-30 years. I saw the writing on the wall at age 51 and left. I'm very happy now, so worked out fine for me, but it makes me sad that a company I had strong emotional ties to is being run into the ground and good people are suffering for it.

In interest of fair reporting, it doesnt appear that Jeb Allen has ownership interest in Humbolt Redwood, he owns Palomar. Can only assume Humbolt is a supplier of his and they worked a co-op advertising deal for the race. I dont have a dog in the fight, but would hate to see any negativity shown towards a past champion who has worked hard to build a business and still contributes to the sport.

I agree 100% and hope nobody else misread that. Jeb is a contractor and like most larger contractors likely has a good relationship with the sales and marketing staff at HRC. He knows they have deep pockets and likely pitched it to them. Like I said earlier, I'm glad DSR is getting money to run the car. I appreciate all that both Jeb and Don have accomplished and contribute to the sport I love.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back