"It's just a fuel altered. They do that." Fuel Altered Photo Album (1 Viewer)

The Pacers photo looks like it was shot at the late Speedworld in Phoenix, say 10 years ago, more or less. I saw that car run there a few times.This was the original car, which I think was from the Midwest area. It was restored & updated to run alky. Car was relocated to Phoenix area some years ago. Speedworld ran a lot of nostalgia events, including the Heritage series (not T/F or F/C)

Looks like I'll have some time to find more pictures... I found out today I'm positive for the virus.....

magicmuffler3.jpg
this photo was taken at McKinley Park in downtown Sacramento.jpg
5238290314_d58e8d8eb6_o.jpg
d2e6440aecefaa5b388cb8dd4d56ae95.jpg

805199.jpg

The Pacers photo looks like it was shot at the late Speedworld in Phoenix, say 10 years ago, more or less. I saw that car run there a few times.This was the original car, which I think was from the Midwest area. It was restored & updated to run alky. Car was relocated to Phoenix area some years ago. Speedworld ran a lot of nostalgia events, including the Heritage series (not T/F or F/C)
Hi Cliff, I have ND's first issue of the new decade, Jan 2, 1970. The cover page features a nice John Jodauga illustration which includes 6 great cars from the 1960's. It's a great issue because it contains full pages of photos for each major class—dragsters, FCs, SS-Stock and hot cars. There is a small photo of the Pacers at CT Dragway and says the team was from the New England area. I always thought those add-on rounded rockers made the altered look fat and low! And I don't know why the restorers added '70s style FC zoomie headers. They should have weedburners.

Hi James. I think the Pacers restored car was almost exhibition, altho I did see it run. never ran any really quick times. Dunno about the headers. Story: the one time I went to San Gabriel Drags, I was standing next to a chain link fence by the startting line. An AA/Fuel Competition Coupe, which was like a small version of a 32 Ford body, blown Chrysler with weed sweeper headers (or weed burner headers, as I once heard them called) - anyhoo, I could literally feel the exhaust hitting my legs. Car was staged pretty close to me. Sometimes you could see the exhaust blasts hitting the dirt alongside the track as the car made the run. They did have a sound of their own. I also saw a repop version of the Speed Sport roadster, which had the exhausts out the back of the body, and it had it's own sound as well. Bet if you did that with a Pro car, it would pick up a tenth or so....

Hi Cliff, back in 1991 I got one chance to shoot photos on the starting line at Pomona, thanks to the late Leslie Lovett of ND. Les gave me exact instructions including where to rent a super long telephoto lens, how to focus, where to stand, etc. Anyway, I tell this story cause the sheer noise, vibration and yes, HEAT was shocking to say the least. I've often told many that it felt like you miraculously survived a major disaster after each fuel run! That race yielded the reference material for my first drag racing lithograph, Chuck Etchells' '90 Trans Am FC, the same one that won the Summernationals.

As far as today's FCs Jimmy Prock of Force's team discovered if they angled the headers back a few degrees the added thrust created free horsepower. NHRA eventually limited how far they could be angled and I think they have been more restrictive in recent years. Others here would know better than I.

Last edited:
Once I was at OCIR, sitting in the top end stands, maybe 1972. T/F car "woofed the blower" about 1000' & big fireball. I could feel the heat in the stands. Was astonished at that. It was a back motor car & I think I thought wow, good thing the cars are back motor now.

Once I was at OCIR, sitting in the top end stands, maybe 1972. T/F car "woofed the blower" about 1000' & big fireball. I could feel the heat in the stands. Was astonished at that. It was a back motor car & I think I thought wow, good thing the cars are back motor now.

The Back Motor cars were a double edged sword for the Dragster guys. First - At night we used to watch the pipes to see how tall the flames were. You learned that there was a point just past 1000 feet that if the flame shortened up to a certain spot (usually on #2 or #5) you better slide down in the seat because it was going to get real busy if you didn't lift. We also learned how the motor sounded and when the pitch changed. It didn't count in the last round especially if you were driving for someone else 😁. The Saftey was way better, but parts attrition went up exponentially. It was also the beginning of the end for a lot of people because of cost since as the parts and tires got better everyone leaned on their stuff harder and the average working guy didn't have unlimented resources. Also - Blocks and Heads, etc. are considerably more expensive from Alan Johnson than they were from "Pick-A-Part".

Word going around the Facebook land is that many new cars are being built now and with the delay to the March Meet. there could be as many as 32 cars on the property.

The new date is a off week for NHRA big show so look for more regulars to be there in competition like Ron Capps

I saw the 554 car at then Firebird, maybe late 1990's, when the nostalgia movement was getting started. They smoked the tires almost all the way down. Car was painted blue. Had the 392 Chrysler engine. Was sooooo cool to see it in person! I knew about the car way back in early 60's; just never saw it in person.

We just lost one of the toughest competitors in the Goodguys N/TF field. Gerry Steiner (AKA The World's Fastest Austrian) passed away late last week from unknown reasons.

Here's a video of Gerry, with daughter Gerilyn, driving the 554 Coupe back Fremont Raceway.

Last edited:
My 1/24 Scale nod to the brass balled drivers of these magnificent machines.

Attachments

• BD01_zps8c472cde.jpg
    BD01_zps8c472cde.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 54
  • BD02_zps4b3252b5.jpg
    BD02_zps4b3252b5.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 51
  • BU03_zps7af104ed.jpg
    BU03_zps7af104ed.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 52
  • BU06_zps968dde78.jpg
    BU06_zps968dde78.jpg