Is this going to be the new Pro Stock class? (1 Viewer)

Two things.

First: Why does Pro Stock need replacing? It is healthy and very competitive. Why not add another class instead of replacing anything?

Second: Since 1985 (that's 37 years folks) Pro Stock has been 500 CI 2350 lbs. NHRA hasn't made any rule since then for just one brand.

Alan
Because, while Camaro Cup produces good racing, it’s hardly a spectacle watching round after round of blob-looking Camaros run laps. It’s absurd that NHRA ever let it get to this point.

You say it’s healthy and competitive but do the fans really enjoy it? I’d suggest not and those that do must like Camaros. It’s time for Ford and Mopar fans to get something out of PS and Factory X is the perfect way for them to do it.

With Camaro dying this year or next, Camaro Cup is on notice anyway. Factory X is the natural progression. Not sure what GM will use moving forward but who cares? Ford and Mopar fans have had nothing the past few years, it’s time to balance the ledger.

You have only Chevy because NHRA knowing or unknowingly cause it. They said to the racers we are going to save you from yourselves. When they set the 10,500 RPM limit the MoPars were done.

Stan

You have only Chevy because NHRA knowing or unknowingly cause it. They said to the racers we are going to save you from yourselves. When they set the 10,500 RPM limit the MoPars were done.

Stan

Roy Johnson would disagree with you, says that he had a new head ready to go but Mopar would not help fund it. One of the things about Dodge is that they do not make a car that fits inside the "box". Allen Johnson had said the Challenger was to big and they do not make a smaller car anymore.

About the 38 minute mark

Bring on the new class. It can only help. I think pro stock has become boring except for the driver personalities. Who doesn’t want to watch Erica vs. Greg? Who doesn’t want to pull for Camrie or any newer driver who runs well. I grew up on Ronnie Sox and Grump. But the cars are alike so to watch most of them isn’t that exciting. My favorite cars were the varied body styles of pro mod, almost FC like dodges, Willy’s, 57’s etc. Also, those cars are on the edge. But the aero characteristics of many of those doesn’t work. ok, I’m really a A/GS guy. In any case, bring On the new stuff. It’ll sort itself out.

What happens to all three classes (plus Funnies) when Camaro and Challenger are killed? Will the automakers still build Copos or Drag Pacs or fund new Funny Car bodies when the world will be forced into driving electric appliances?

How many more door car classes do we really need?

I thought this site was called Nitromater not Doormater?

Real race cars, don't have doors!

1673539329619.png

AA/FD Forever... Jeep Hampshire in the seat

I just like stirring the pot, I'm bored. With that said. When I go to Seattle or
any other National Event. I watch Pro Stock, all 4 Q rounds and all 4 rounds
on Sunday. Is Pro Stock my favorite, not hardly, but I've loved drag racing
since the first time I went (1968, 9 years old) I don't know anything else.

Last edited:
I just thought of something. In a sense, except for the 500 CI limit, you could call P/S the A/G of 2023.... Just thought I'd throw that out. heh heh

Two things.

First: Why does Pro Stock need replacing? It is healthy and very competitive. Why not add another class instead of replacing anything?

Second: Since 1985 (that's 37 years folks) Pro Stock has been 500 CI 2350 lbs. NHRA hasn't made any rule since then for just one brand.

Alan
I guess limiting rpm for Mopar didn’t happen

I guess limiting rpm for Mopar didn’t happen

As you well know, that wasn't just for the MOPARs, that was for everyone. As Roy Johnson said, they just needed to reconfigure some stuff. GM made the investment, MOPAR didn't.

Alan

You say it’s healthy and competitive but do the fans really enjoy it? I’d suggest not and those that do must like Camaros. It’s time for Ford and Mopar fans to get something out of PS and Factory X is the perfect way for them to do it.
It's "healthy and competitive" in the same way Super Gas is "healthy and competitive".

I thought 3 years ago (maybe 4-5 everything since 2020 has been a blur) the class was on life support. Wasn't there rumors of the class being dropped, top executives making rule changes to add excitement? The class doesn't even run the full tour. I just don't know how one can say it's "healthy" when everything else, including butts in the seats, says otherwise.

Of course the caveat is that "healthy" can have different meanings. If we're talking about the micro environment, then sure. There are people who make power and sell it (or lease it) to people who need power. It is healthy to the extent that there's people making money directly off the people willing to spend money. It's healthy that a 1:1 business relationship exists. I'm using "healthy" in the context of NHRA is in the business of providing entertainment - Does pro stock fit that bill? If not, why isn't it a sportsmen class with the other classes like Super Gas which is healthy with respect to competitors, not entertaining, doesn't compete at every national event and doesn't drive ticket sales?

One thing this sport suffers from, in my humble opinion, is the tail wagging the dog.

Regarding "butts in the seats", it seems like we're just in a different world now. For some reason, the crowds really only stay in their seats for blown nitro. Which really baffles me. There are so many, badass, entertaining categories at national events, I'm shocked that the stands only stay full for the top two categories. For example, how do people attend a national event, and not watch the alky classes? I think one factor is people do not have the attention span of years ago. Look at the shift in which day has the biggest crowd, typically it's Saturday. I remember when eliminations day was the biggest, and people stayed until the last passes were done, at least for the pro categories. Now, everybody wants to beat the traffic, lol.

IMO the nhra should consider running more eliminations on saturday, including combinations of PSB, PS, PM, NH, MMPS.
sunday used to last till 5-7pm. it no longer does, and nhra still tries to cram everything in on sunday. one big oil down or t-storm and it's all messed up.

Regarding "butts in the seats", it seems like we're just in a different world now. For some reason, the crowds really only stay in their seats for blown nitro. Which really baffles me. There are so many, badass, entertaining categories at national events, I'm shocked that the stands only stay full for the top two categories. For example, how do people attend a national event, and not watch the alky classes? I think one factor is people do not have the attention span of years ago. Look at the shift in which day has the biggest crowd, typically it's Saturday. I remember when eliminations day was the biggest, and people stayed until the last passes were done, at least for the pro categories. Now, everybody wants to beat the traffic, lol.
It doesn't surprise me that fans clear out when PSs come up. Neither FCs nor PSs look anything like their factory counterparts. I don't expect FCs to closely follow factory dimensions.
But, FCs breathe fire and shake you from head to toe. "It hurts so good."
PSs, also, don't follow the factory very close at all. Nobody can relate to them. Yet they are so much slower than FCs and their exhaust note doesn't compare to the FCs.
So, once the fuel cars are done, and with the short turnarounds, it's the perfect time to hit the head, and get something to eat.

But, I agree about the alcohol classes. They're pretty danged quick. And, I love their full throttle launches. I've been fortunate to have experienced being on the track between two alcohol cars several times. It was sensory overload without the nitro fumes.
The SS classes are great.

Back to Factory X, I really hope the class takes off. They do look exactly like what is seen in the showrooms.
It's going to be (in the words of Arte Johnson's Laugh-In character) very interesting to see how NHRA regulates the various combinations. Since they learned how to really screw up a class with PS, I'm hoping they don't do something similar with Factory X.

Sunday is ALL about the TV show! Time zones effect the number who watch!
my apologies. i meant the actual live event used to always run till 5-7pm, affording more time to run more cars on sunday. now the event is usually over by 4-5pm.
(5-7pm was not referring to tv time/s)

my apologies. i meant the actual live event used to always run till 5-7pm, affording more time to run more cars on sunday. now the event is usually over by 4-5pm.
(5-7pm was not referring to tv time/s)
The issue seems to be that attention spans are shrinking, so the solution is to drag the show out even longer?

I'm glad some of y'all aren't actually in charge of anything...

The issue seems to be that attention spans are shrinking, so the solution is to drag the show out even longer?

I'm glad some of y'all aren't actually in charge of anything...
not sure what you're not understanding.......keep sundays short, possibly run more eliminations on saturday. make saturday something more than just qualifying.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back