Is this going to be the new Pro Stock class? (1 Viewer)

I say eventually yes, but who knows considering the first car hasn’t even made a pass. It will be interesting to watch the evolution of whatever it ends up being.

Last edited:
Two things.

First: Why does Pro Stock need replacing? It is healthy and very competitive. Why not add another class instead of replacing anything?

Second: Since 1985 (that's 37 years folks) Pro Stock has been 500 CI 2350 lbs. NHRA hasn't made any rule since then for just one brand.

Alan

wait, what class are we talking about?......umm, for every 1/2 second there seems to be a class. please :rolleyes:

Two things.

First: Why does Pro Stock need replacing? It is healthy and very competitive. Why not add another class instead of replacing anything?

Second: Since 1985 (that's 37 years folks) Pro Stock has been 500 CI 2350 lbs. NHRA hasn't made any rule since then for just one brand.

Alan

You will disagree, I am 100% certain of that, but as a long-time (since the 80's) Pro Stock fan.....it's boring. 14 Camaros and maybe 2 "Mustangs" all running the same drivetrain, all looking only somewhat like the actual car...it's like a slower version of funny car at this point. It's just not interesting. There are some good personalities, some rivalries (I guess) but overall it has lost me. The technology, consistency, and driving ability in the class is amazing, I just no longer care that much. I have a friend who occasionally rents a ride, and that is the only time I have a rooting interest.
I'm honestly not sure what can be done, it is what it is at this point.

I actually won't disagree with you. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. NHRA has something for everybody. I would never tell anyone that they need to love every class, but I do ask that you don't tell me that I have to hate it.

As I have stated many times, I'm not a Hockey fan, it's just not my game. But if you are, then more power to you. Just because I'm not a fan, you will never hear me tell someone that "It Sucks". There's a reason that crayons come in so many different colors. Different people like different things. And I can like something without putting something else down.

Alan

I think the NHRA and those selected contractors have proximity disease when it comes to Pro Stock. The facts obvious to those not stricken are the cars ARE boring, they all look alike, they have no earthly connection to anything in the parking lot, they all run relatively the same et's and speeds and the fans fly out of the grandstands when they run. (the same reason Indycar is dying a slow expensive death) Speaking for fans (those with proximity disease call us Keyboard Crewchiefs) we like difference, we like innovation, we like a little danger. There is a reason no one is buying tickets to a slot car race.

I hope Lonnie's class takes hold and I hope they hold the line on body modifications and engine components.

I actually won't disagree with you. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. NHRA has something for everybody. I would never tell anyone that they need to love every class, but I do ask that you don't tell me that I have to hate it.

As I have stated many times, I'm not a Hockey fan, it's just not my game. But if you are, then more power to you. Just because I'm not a fan, you will never hear me tell someone that "It Sucks". There's a reason that crayons come in so many different colors. Different people like different things. And I can like something without putting something else down.

Alan
Perfect. I would never tell anyone not to like something. I'm in the automotive aftermarket industry and I say with regularity that the world would be a boring place if everyone built red 69 Camaros with 15" Americans. Variety is king...

The original question was do we think it will replace pro stock? Not that pro stock needs replacing. No one can deny there was a lack of interest and participation a few years back.

I personally think both factory stock and pro stock participants will gravitate to this class and at some point it will decrease pro stock participation to the point it is replaced with this. I think it will be successful to the detriment of pro stock. I may be 100 percent wrong, but that’s what we do here is speculate and discuss our opinions much to the dismay of some.

Last edited:
What will this class’s future be when the oem’s stop making the cars? The Camaro and Challenger as we know them are not long for this world.

The original question was do we think it will replace pro stock? Not that pro stock needs replacing. No one can deny there was a lack of interest and participation a few years back.

I personally think both factory stock and pro stock participants will gravitate to this class and at some point it will decrease pro stock participation to the point it is replaced with this. I think it will be successful to the detriment of pro stock. I may be 100 percent wrong, but that’s what we do here is speculate and discuss our opinions much to the dismay of some.
The main reason Pro Stock is as successful as it is today is because of the rent-a-ride programs that Freeman and KB provide. If somebody starts up a similar offering in the Factory X deal in the next couple of years, whether that's Richard Freeman or someone else, then you may be right. Otherwise Pro Stock will continue growing and thriving and Factory X will go off down its own path.

I think the NHRA and those selected contractors have proximity disease when it comes to Pro Stock. The facts obvious to those not stricken are the cars ARE boring, they all look alike, they have no earthly connection to anything in the parking lot, they all run relatively the same et's and speeds and the fans fly out of the grandstands when they run. (the same reason Indycar is dying a slow expensive death) Speaking for fans (those with proximity disease call us Keyboard Crewchiefs) we like difference, we like innovation, we like a little danger. There is a reason no one is buying tickets to a slot car race.

I hope Lonnie's class takes hold and I hope they hold the line on body modifications and engine components.

And as I said, I won't tell you that you have to love it, please don't tell me that I have to hate it.

When I was a kid, Pro Stock was my class, The Nitro cars were cool, but I couldn't relate. I had a muscle car that burned gasoline through a carburetor and had a four speed. I could relate to cars that had those same basic components. I still own that car. And it still has a clutch pedal.

When I got older I worked in a Pro Stock shop for a few years and gained an even bigger understanding about what it takes to coax 3 horsepower per cubic inch without a power adder. There will always be a place in my heart for a naturally asperated gas burner.

I am 100% behind the new Factory X class and hope it thrives. Why does today's Pro Stock have to die for that to happen? I have never understood the need to put one thing down to promote another. I can tell you that I like Factory X a lot, and do it without feeling the need to say "Pro Stock Sucks"

As always, this is just my opinion.
Alan

One of real truths of all types of motorsports is, after any form or class has been around for awhile, the evolution of it will see almost all participants gravitate to a particular design. I'm not sure what people expect? Look at the enormous popularity of F1 now. Is it because of the wide variety of cars? No. Everybody likes to hate on modern Funny Cars because they don't look like real cars. Well I really loved the variety of bodies when I was growing up, like Vegas, Pintos, Arrows, etc. But today's FCs look like race cars, and while not real similar to their street counterparts, to me they are badass in their own right. The cool thing about drag racing is, as a whole, there is more variety than any other motorsport. I've said this a million times, I think those who have been around for awhile spend too much time longing for days long gone, and don't stop to enjoy what's happening right now.

If Pro Stock is thriving, why is the entire field, with one exception, powered by GM engines? Sure, there are two Mustangs, but they have GM engines. God Bless Alan Prusiensky for sticking with a Mopar body and Mopar drivetrain. Unfortunately, he has not been too successful in qualifying.
Otherwise, the field is 7/8ths Camaros, with the remaining 1/8th being GM powered Mustangs, and has been for a while. I wouldn't call that either thriving or growing.
The only people who seem to benefit from Pro Stock are the various GM engine and car builders with their "rent a rides."
The rest of the field is filled by drivers who have been, or are, successful in their work lives, and have put together great teams.

I have come to accept that PS has lost most of its soul. The days of 30+ cars, multiple makes and engine builder are gone, at least for the time being. There we so many relatable drivers in the 80's and 90's, a good mix of guys who did it for a living along with rich guys having fun. However, in defense of it being an all Camaro all the time show, we did lose two GM brands that added some variety in body style.

I for one, feel Pro Stock has good fields and has been self-sufficient - if it is the domination of the Camaro - Chevrolet has always led in participation levels, and even in the so-called "good 'ol days," the Camaros often-time accounted for almost 3/4ths of the field. When Pro Stock went into the box standard, it finally did away with the steel roof and quarters and enabled the factories to dictate what body styles could participate.

In 1982, NHRA abandoned the pounds-per-cubic inch format for the universal 500-inches and 2350, although I believe, and I might be wrong, they might have started at 2,400.

Factory X will be good; it's not going to be perfect but bear in mind it's a way to keep NHRA with a Factory Showdown-style class. Once those cars ran 7.49, Factory Stock Showdown was over because SFI certifications for that style of chassis only went to 7.50.

Here's an article I wrote a while back with the help of noted historian Bret Kepner that might clarify how we got to this point.

Maybe people would feel better if they called it "Pro Door Car" or even if we come up with 1/2 dozen "PRO-nouns" 😁 . Seems to be the way things are going everywhere now days. Pro in front means spend a lot of money to maybe get a little statue of Jack Jones.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back