IRP should be renamed in honour of Wally Parks (1 Viewer)

Hutch

Nitro Member
l know that IRP is now called O'Reilly Raceway Park as they purchased the rights to call it that. But in honour of Wally Parks l think it should now be called WALLY PARKS RACEWAY because of his vision in forming the NHRA. Without him we would have no drag racing.

What do you think?

Thanks
John.

l know that IRP is now called O'Reilly Raceway Park as they purchased the rights to call it that. But in honour of Wally Parks l think it should now be called WALLY PARKS RACEWAY because of his vision in forming the NHRA. Without him we would have no drag racing.

What do you think?

Thanks
John.

No. Pomona may be. Because it is on the same grounds as the Wally Park's museum and Southern California is where it all started. Why would you want to name a dump after the man that started it all. I know it is the U.S. Nationals, but the place is still a dump.

No. Pomona may be. Because it is on the same grounds as the Wally Park's museum and Southern California is where it all started. Why would you want to name a dump after the man that started it all. I know it is the U.S. Nationals, but the place is still a dump.

Rather interesting that you would descibe IRP (just can't say ORP...) as a dump.

Care to elaborate?

I have been to racetracks all over the US over the past 30 or so years, and that word would never occur to me to use in describing this particular race complex.

This should be interesting... :rolleyes:

The issue with pamona is that its leased and not premanent.
IRP a dump??? I normally go to RT 66 and I still feel the IRP is a dump......:confused:

It could be O'Reilly's presents Wally Parks Raceway. that would work. then you can change sponsers without hurting the name.

Rather interesting that you would descibe IRP (just can't say ORP...) as a dump.

Care to elaborate?

I have been to racetracks all over the US over the past 30 or so years, and that word would never occur to me to use in describing this particular race complex.

This should be interesting... :rolleyes:

Go to Joliet, Bristol, Norwalk, or Las Vegas and it is not very hard to call Clermont a dump.

Coming up from the Southeast and running IRP, I can say without qualms that IRP is a "first class" dump (at least in my experience)... The facility is long in the tooth in general, and the racing surface is one the worst I've ever run on (and I've run at Orlando!). :eek:

If you want to name it after somebody in the NHRA, I'd go with Light or Compton (two first class dumplings), but not Wally Parks. His name belongs at Pomona. :D

Go to Joliet, Bristol, Norwalk, or Las Vegas and it is not very hard to call Clermont a dump.

I won't try to disuade you of your opinion, to which your certainly entitled.

I rather was looking for some reasons for which you base your comment.

Grass growing in cracks on the racing surface? Smelly bathrooms? Crappy food? Muddy pits when it rains? Not enough ammenities to make you happy? Just what it is that causes you to make this comment?

The tracks you mention are all newer, or recently renovated. They are all different and have their own personalities. This doesn't make any one track better or worse than another. They are just different. And all fine facilities, in my experience.

Yes, IRP could use a few upgrades. But a dump? Hardly...

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I won't try to disuade you of your opinion, to which your certainly entitled.

I rather was looking for some reasons for which you base your comment.

Grass growing in cracks on the racing surface? Smelly bathrooms? Crappy food? Muddy pits when it rains? Not enough ammenities to make you happy? Just what it is that causes you to make this comment?

The tracks you mention are all newer, or recently renovated. They are all different and have their own personalities. This doesn't make any one track better or worse than another. They are just different. And all fine facilities, in my experience.

Yes, IRP could use a few upgrades. But a dump? Hardly...

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

You covered it. A few upgrades? Knock it down and start over might work.

I think one of the problems with naming the facility at Indy after Wally Parks is that it's a multi-track facility. There's a separate track there for open wheel and stock cars. I know there's a lot of NASCAR and open wheel fans who are familiar with the circle track but might not know who Wally Parks was. Despite the fact that it's a leased facility, I think Pomona would be a more appropriate candidate.

IRP is a dump even by the NHRA owned track standards.

Steve Scott... are you a racer? You've gotten a couple opinions from some sportsman racers on here already, including mine.

The place isn't even a 2nd teir facility when compared to Vegas, Bristol, and other 1st teir tracks.

You don't even get to pit on the grounds if you're a sportsman... instead you have pit inside the circle track and need a map and extra fuel to get to the staging lanes. The facilities in general are pretty runned down, and noted above, the track surface is marginal at best.

I agree, IRP is a dump. I've heard a dozen times from super class racers that if it wasnt the "US NATS" they wouldnt even go there.

Exactly!!

And why do I have to add this stupid sentence to make my post long enough for it to be allowed up?

That's the way it is.......

I think the "Wally Parks Raceway @ Pamona" would be appropriate, seeing as how the museum is near and everything. That would get my vote.

Ok, you guys...

I can tell when I'm outnumbered and when to give up the fight!

Maybe someone can tell me, though, how it could be that I spent so much time at IRP over the years, and enjoyed every damn minute of it, and not once did it ever occur to me to describe the place as dump. Maybe 'cause I was too busy having so much fun., and enjoying myself.

And no, I'm not a racer, so my perspective is only that of a longtime fan of drag racing. Maybe my opinion is also shaped by the fact that I tend to look at the positive side of things, rather than the negative.

I give in though; you fellas sure have convinced me. I'll never set foot on the property again. Whatever could I have been thinking all those years?!

Thanks all for helping me see the light! :rolleyes:

Oh, and I apologize for derailing the original purpose of this thread. :eek:

Ok, you guys...

I can tell when I'm outnumbered and when to give up the fight!

Maybe someone can tell me, though, how it could be that I spent so much time at IRP over the years, and enjoyed every damn minute of it, and not once did it ever occur to me to describe the place as dump. Maybe 'cause I was too busy having so much fun., and enjoying myself.

And no, I'm not a racer, so my perspective is only that of a longtime fan of drag racing. Maybe my opinion is also shaped by the fact that I tend to look at the positive side of things, rather than the negative.

I give in though; you fellas sure have convinced me. I'll never set foot on the property again. Whatever could I have been thinking all those years?!

Thanks all for helping me see the light! :rolleyes:

Oh, and I apologize for derailing the original purpose of this thread. :eek:

If you have fun there thats all that really counts.

No one is saying you cant go there and have fun, but too the racer the track isint that good and compared to some other facilities, the place isint half as good. For a national event track, its poor quality just like Columbus was.

I agree Pomona would be the better venue for Wally's name to grace. As a fan and occaisional race team hanger on, ORP is on the same level as Fireturd, worse when you factor that it hosts our showcase racing event. The HDP guys should look at pouring a pile of money into the place to bring it up to standard. Vegas has lots of paved parking for everybody, clean permanent toilets everywhere and lots room in the pits. Have I had fun at ORP? of course it the US Nationals, but its long overdue for some maintenance/upgrades.

S/F
D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back