Interesting Pic (1 Viewer)

According to my digital camera manufacturer, Sony, the ISO setting on a digital camera is the same as the shutter speed so my shutter speed was 100, equivalent to ISO 100, which I manually set.

I am not a camera expert nor do I pretend to be one. And no, I did not stay a Holiday Inn Express last night. So my question is, How fast or slow in real time is ISO 100 on a digital camera if ISO 100 is the shutter speed setting?

Just saying it is a slow setting doesn't mean anything. ISO is an international standard acronym and ISO 100 is a particular standard for camera light sensitivity or shutter speed (I'm still not sure) that all manufacturers adhere to so that pictures should be the same no matter what brand camera you use. So again, what is the shutter speed at ISO 100?? If we know this, we should be able to prove or disprove the theory.

Are there any hardcore camera experts that would like to chime in on this?

I know that there are also other manual settings such as aperture which I think is how far open the shutter goes.

If the 100 setting on the camera is slow enough that all cylinders should have fired once by the time the shutter opened and closed, I will gladly say I was wrong.

Last edited:
okay, I am not a photo expert... but, lets see if I remember correctly from college work study...

ISO (formerly called ASA) is the speed of the photographic negative material (up until digital camera this would usually be called film.) The lower numbers = slower film but in digital cameras it is an equivalent. The size of the aperture (lens opening when the picture is being taken) and the amount of light available would normally determine the speed of the film (100, 200, 400, 800 etc.) The shutter speed is often expressed in increments of seconds for example 1/60, 1/100, 1/125. often the 1/ is left off when talking about speed but the standard is the same 125 = 1/125th of a second. In full daylight, frequently ISO 100 and 1/100 will frequently get good detail with an average f stop on a 50 mm lens.

maybe I should go back to developing film...lol

According to my digital camera manufacturer, Sony, the ISO setting on a digital camera is the same as the shutter speed so my shutter speed was 100, equivalent to ISO 100, which I manually set.
I can guarantee you that that's incorrect. The reason I say so is because no camera operates that way. My Nikon D70 (and a few other Nikon digital SLR's) use Sony sensors. Which model camera is it? ISO and shutter speed are two completely different things. They do work together to control the exposure but they are not the same.

I can guarantee you that that's incorrect. The reason I say so is because no camera operates that way. My Nikon D70 (and a few other Nikon digital SLR's) use Sony sensors. Which model camera is it? ISO and shutter speed are two completely different things. They do work together to control the exposure but they are not the same.
Your guarantee is worth as much as I paid for it.

My camera, a Sony DSC-H1, has a manual setting that I can control the both shutter speed, to an equivalent to ISO setting, and the aperture value.

For the shot, I set my camera shutter speed to 100 and then set the aperture to 8.0.

If you wish to argue this further, go argue with Sony, I am quite happy with their guarantee and performance.

Your guarantee is worth as much as I paid for it.

My camera, a Sony DSC-H1, has a manual setting that I can control the both shutter speed, to an equivalent to ISO setting, and the aperture value.

For the shot, I set my camera shutter speed to 100 and then set the aperture to 8.0.

If you wish to argue this further, go argue with Sony, I am quite happy with their guarantee and performance.
Here you go:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Shutter Speeds
• 1/8 – 1/2000 sec (Auto)*
• 2 – 1/2000 sec (Program Auto)*
• 30 – 1/1000 sec (Manual)
* Shutter speeds of 1/2000th are only available at apertures of F5.6 and higher.
Apertures
• F2.8 / 3.2 / 3.5 / 4.0 / 4.5 / 5.0 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 7.1 / 8.0 (wide)
• F3.7 / 4.0 / 4.5 / 5.0 / 5.6 / 6.3 / 7.1 / 8.0 (tele)
Sensitivity
• Auto
• ISO 64
• ISO 100
• ISO 200
• ISO 400
ISO and shutter speed are two completely differrent things. One does affect the other when it comes to the exposure but they are not the same. ISO is the sensitivity to light of the film or sensor. Shutter speed is the amount of time that the shutter curtain is open and exposes the sensor to light. The lower the ISO the longer the shutter speed needed to get the proper exposure. If you increase one you need to decrease the other to have the proper exposure. I do think I know what I'm talking about, I've been using SLR's for 21 years now. Post the original file before it was edited, I can tell you exactly what settings were used. I will bet you $50 that the shutter speed was not 1/100th of a second.

Last edited:
I don't know much about cameras but I do know that I have seen this phenomenon in drag racing photographs dozens of times.

Also, if only one bank were lit I would think that the car would be seriously twisted out of shape.

alright, camera stuff aside. (I really don't see much reason to fight. The guy took a cool picture, no matter what the camera settings were, or how he definies what he knows.)
During the daylight, the header flames are very difficult to see when the engine is running right and all cylinders are lit. (The color of the flames when everything is well in the engine is yellowish/white.) In addition to that, they are easier to see toward the end of the standard header flame pattern, and very seldom do you see anything right at the header. We do not have that out of the right side of the Army car. The picture cuts it off. There may be flame visible more toward the tip of the flame, but we don't have that. When you see the flame in the day is usually when you have a wet cylinder and the wet nitro is lighting from the other lit holes outside the car. When this happens, it is also signaled by more of an orange flame than the standard more bright yellow flame. (Just like on the picture stated. Not to mention the Tasca shots. What an amazing demonstration of that in pattern, color, etc.)
Very often with very quick shutter speeds, you only see flame out one side, or none at all. Quite typical.
My take on the Army car- he had a typical launch and they had a hole out on the left bank. Almost every car that session had a hole or two out at the hit. (At least that is what my pictures state.) Many teams were taking clutch away at the hit and losing load on the engines.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back