Interesting Pic (1 Viewer)

DixonFan

Staff member
Administrator
phxfrischumacher.jpg

Looks like half the motor isn't running. I am sure someone can explain what is happening here.

Shannon

I'm guessing there was an ignition problem, slide valve, or other fuel delivery issue as Shoe has about 3 cylinders out on the opposite side. Otherwise AJ missed the tune up a little but on launch.

Last edited:
Holy crap, that thing is so fast the NHRA mandated timing retard is kicking in at the starting line!!! :D

it looks like 4 cylinders out on the same side but it must be some kind of timing problem.

Probably didn't bug them too much since they came back around and ran what I understood was something like a 48 just a while ago?

Tasca's Mustang makes a weird whistling noise; I don't know what the deal with that is. They are definitely having some issues right now; all of their runs today were funky; however, I'm sure they'll figure it out. I think it's a good-looking car; I love the Shelby theme.

Sometimes when you have a very fast shutter speed on your camera (especially during a sunny day) it will catch the action of only one bank. If it was an igniton problem there would have to be fuel spewing out both banks because the fuel doesn't just stop if the ignition doesn't fire. Yes, it may have had a hole out on the left bank as well. Plus the tires are just squatting so the engine RPM may not be as high so the shutter speed has more of a chance to catch fewer cylinders lit. Has anyone ever seen one in super slow motion? I'm talking 1000 FPS, you can see the exhaust flames of an individual cylinder in 4 or 5 frames.

Example: If the car has only reached 6000 RPM, thats 100 RPM/sec, which is 50 firing pulses per second. If your camera shutter is set a 1/25 of a sec., you have just captured only 2 firing pulses. So it is possible that you could capture only cylinders 5 and 7 firing in order (18436572). One bank only.

At night when you can see the flames and the shutter speeds are slower thay tend to show up in the picture much better. Also, your eyes can only see a certain frequency, I forget the number. So your eyes can't slow the action down as fast as a camera.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Sometimes when you have a very fast shutter speed on your camera (especially during a sunny day) it will catch the action of only one bank. If it was an igniton problem there would have to be fuel spewing out both banks because the fuel doesn't just stop if the ignition doesn't fire. Yes, it may have had a hole out on the left bank as well. Plus the tires are just squatting so the engine RPM may not be as high so the shutter speed has more of a chance to catch fewer cylinders lit. Has anyone ever seen one in super slow motion? I'm talking 1000 FPS, you can see the exhaust flames of an individual cylinder in 4 or 5 frames.

Example: If the car has only reached 6000 RPM, thats 100 RPM/sec, which is 50 firing pulses per second. If your camera shutter is set a 1/25 of a sec., you have just captured only 2 firing pulses. So it is possible that you could capture only cylinders 5 and 7 firing in order (18436572). One bank only.

At night when you can see the flames and the shutter speeds are slower thay tend to show up in the picture much better. Also, your eyes can only see a certain frequency, I forget the number. So your eyes can't slow the action down as fast as a camera.

Thanks for the post Mike. It really helped as to why you don't see the other side of the engine firing.

Thanks,
Shannon

Mike is right on the money, it's the camera. I have several shots like that from Seattle where it appears only one bank has flames coming out of the pipes.

Gotta love wikipedia:

Here's an answer that's really no answer at all:

Motion perception is the process of inferring the speed and direction of objects and surfaces that move in a visual scene given some visual input. Although this process appears straightforward to most observers, it has proven to be a difficult problem from a computational perspective, and extraordinarily difficult to explain in terms of neural processing.

Anybody that saw that Tasca run will tell you that was an ugly run, it was real flat and I thought the motor was going to let go, but luckily it didn't.

Btw, I took the picture at an ISO setting of 100, no a fast speed.

Ugly run indeed. I was sitting next to Paul and took it about the same time.
Canon 1D MarkII
It does look like the burst panel may have lodged the injector open.

You beat me to it Mike.

I have taken a few shots with a high shutter speed and have only caught flames out of one bank.

Sometimes even a ball of fire in the air.

There is another phenomenon that will happen:
A "halo" of smoke will come out of one pipe upon start-up.
There is a pic of one of these smoke rings in the back of an issue of Full Throttle magazine from last year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back