Indy seating (1 Viewer)

scooter

Nitro Member
Why were the ends of the general admission bleachers covered in black tarps? Seating was full - the extra space was really needed.
:(:(

Probably to make the rest of the grandstands packed to give the appearance of "filled to capacity seating".

Probably to make the rest of the grandstands packed to give the appearance of "filled to capacity seating".
Well Mr. Stan you nailed that one of the HEAD!!;) On Friday the East Side of the track where the VIP & Racers Sections is they were trying there DAMNDIST to keep everyone really SCRUNCHED together for Friday Night Qualifying.:eek: Trying to give the illusion that the stands were PACKED! I think on Sunday they took the tarp off on the East Side and actually opened up the section! But on Monday the DAMN tarp was back rearing is ugly ASS! As you can tell I am just a tad PO'd about the whole thing! If NHRA would pull there Heads Out of the Asses and lower ticket prices we wouldn't have to live with there illusions!:mad:

Well Mr. Stan you nailed that one of the HEAD!!;) On Friday the East Side of the track where the VIP & Racers Sections is they were trying there DAMNDIST to keep everyone really SCRUNCHED together for Friday Night Qualifying.:eek: Trying to give the illusion that the stands were PACKED! I think on Sunday they took the tarp off on the East Side and actually opened up the section! But on Monday the DAMN tarp was back rearing is ugly ASS! As you can tell I am just a tad PO'd about the whole thing! If NHRA would pull there Heads Out of the Asses and lower ticket prices we wouldn't have to live with there illusions!:mad:

That's it in a nutshell really. Too busy trying to look popular, and not actually be popular.

I used to hate it when Pomona would close the end grandstands down, and shorten the finish line scoreboards. They actually had a reason. Brackett Field would be busy, and they made the approach easier for the planes that way, and safer for everyone. I understood that.

This, on the other hand...

I love not being shoehorned in. I usually like to sit against the rail so I can see the whole shutdown without anything blocking my view. But then, that would make a fan happy. They would rather make it look like the fans are happy, than actually be happy.

If one person posts that they like wall to wall people in the stands versus a little elbow room, I'm calling the NHRA Kool-Aid mustache on your upper lip.

smarter way would be to go with multi color seats, looks fuller from TV, fans who attend don't get turned off by feeling pinched.

Ya know, it's just one of those marketing, make the customer happy type of silly things

First of all, before I start, I want to apologize to all my Mater brothers and sisters for the rant that is forthcoming. Believe me, I send emails to NHRA every year. They have never responded. In one respect, I am just like you. I look forward to the Big Go all year. In an other respect I am different. I don't walk so good anymore and am legally handicapped. This was my 30th straight Nationals and I have been an NHRA member almost that long. For those of you that were there, please take a minute and transfer what you saw to a person with a handicapped perspective. We normally park on the west side. I have had this problem the last 5 or 6 years and until Friday of this year, I have never been able to park up front. We got there just as someone was leaving and got a good spot thanks to the person who was taking the money. But right after we parked, the spot next to us was taken by someone without a placard or plate that would allow them to park there. They were to me obviously not handicapped even though it was posted. When my brother said something to the attendant, she told him the owner was a part of law enforcement. Whether he did anything or not remains to be seen. Then we went to ticket window, got our tickets and proceeded to the gate. In years past at least they had a radio to call the shuttle for a pickup. no radio this year. We missed all of promod waiting for him to come, but he did and we got a ride to west end top end. When we got there we saw the seats blacked out. There was no security there to keep the area open and only 20 chairs had been made available on the entire west side for people who needed them. I got to see very little of the qualifying because of the people who were standing there and told my brother this would be then last Indy. On Saturday, we went to the east side and were parked in turn 4 because half the track was taken for a special event. My brother had to go into the track and complain before someone came out and gave us a ride in. When the weather hit, my brother went out to move the car up and I followed him GOD BLESS THE RACER and his wife who saw me walking and offered me a ride to my car. I will never forget your kindness. On Monday more of the same thing. We walked in ,We walked out. The managers name is Wes. He should go to Joliet and see how people like us are treated. They are really good at helping people with disabilities. Should I make this next one number 31? what would you do if your were me?

Ralph, it's hard for me to put myself in your place not having to live with the handicap you have. If I were you though, before making my decision I would ask myself, in the past 30 years, was the treatment you received this year the norm or the exception and then go from there.

First of all, before I start, I want to apologize to all my Mater brothers and sisters for the rant that is forthcoming. Believe me, I send emails to NHRA every year. They have never responded. In one respect, I am just like you. I look forward to the Big Go all year. In an other respect I am different. I don't walk so good anymore and am legally handicapped. This was my 30th straight Nationals and I have been an NHRA member almost that long. For those of you that were there, please take a minute and transfer what you saw to a person with a handicapped perspective. We normally park on the west side. I have had this problem the last 5 or 6 years and until Friday of this year, I have never been able to park up front. We got there just as someone was leaving and got a good spot thanks to the person who was taking the money. But right after we parked, the spot next to us was taken by someone without a placard or plate that would allow them to park there. They were to me obviously not handicapped even though it was posted. When my brother said something to the attendant, she told him the owner was a part of law enforcement. Whether he did anything or not remains to be seen. Then we went to ticket window, got our tickets and proceeded to the gate. In years past at least they had a radio to call the shuttle for a pickup. no radio this year. We missed all of promod waiting for him to come, but he did and we got a ride to west end top end. When we got there we saw the seats blacked out. There was no security there to keep the area open and only 20 chairs had been made available on the entire west side for people who needed them. I got to see very little of the qualifying because of the people who were standing there and told my brother this would be then last Indy. On Saturday, we went to the east side and were parked in turn 4 because half the track was taken for a special event. My brother had to go into the track and complain before someone came out and gave us a ride in. When the weather hit, my brother went out to move the car up and I followed him GOD BLESS THE RACER and his wife who saw me walking and offered me a ride to my car. I will never forget your kindness. On Monday more of the same thing. We walked in ,We walked out. The managers name is Wes. He should go to Joliet and see how people like us are treated. They are really good at helping people with disabilities. Should I make this next one number 31? what would you do if your were me?

While I can't decide for you, Ralph, since I'm not in your shoes, I will say there's no reason for apologizing whatsoever.

RS, it is outrageous that any Sr. be treated that way, much less one with a disability. NHRA fails to realize that it is todays Sr.s or (baby boomers) that helped grow the sport to what it is today. Whether at our local tracks or Natl. events, as participants or spectators or both, our life long support helped.

We bought the tickets, the entry fees, the T-shirts, and yes the hot dogs.
NHRA needs to get out of the tower and look close at the fan in the stands. There are a lot more grey heads & bald heads, then there are 20 or 30 somethings. And teens, forget it.

As for your question sir, should you go next year???.........well it is the 60th, but
the TV coverage today is pretty darn good.

ralph, you should go.....this is what the ADA act is all about. perhaps a phone call or two prior to event to
familiarize with next year's disability protocol and you may just end up experiencing not the only the 60th annual
but also maybe the best nationals in your 31 years of attending.

As someone who attended Friday thru Monday with a GA ticket all days, the tarped off seats had zero effect on my weekend. We usually sat in KK on the east side near the top and there was a good crowd but I never felt claustrophobic. Same when we went to the west side for shade in the evening ( section M).

So, I am somewhat surprised by other's comments regarding the tarps.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back