Indy fields (1 Viewer)

Yes, we will have some bumping for a change. As noted in the Comp plus article today, that's a real decent number for TF compared to the recent past. But really - just 18 in Funny Car for Indy? That's the best we can do for supposedly the BIG RACE of the year? I don't think that's very impressive. But at least the fields are all full - especially in the Alcohol classes.

By the way, to put this in perspective, in 1975 - if I am counting right - there were SIXTY-NINE entries in TF.

On another note, in recent years, we have seen a number of really strong "Super Part Timers" (I think that's what we have been calling them) in TF - the TJ ZIzzo's, the Tripp Tatum's, etc. But no such team in Funny Car. I wonder why that is.

Last edited:
Yes, we will have some bumping for a change. As noted in the Comp plus article today, that's a real decent number for TF compared to the recent past. But really - just 18 in Funny Car for Indy? That's the best we can do for supposedly the BIG RACE of the year? I don't think that's very impressive. But at least the fields are all full - especially in the Alcohol classes.

By the way, to put this in perspective, in 1975 - if I am counting right - there were SIXTY-NINE entries in TF.

On another note, in recent years, we have seen a number of really strong "Super Part Timers" (I think that's what we have been calling them) in TF - the TJ ZIzzo's, the Tripp Tatum's, etc. But no such team in Funny Car. I wonder why that is.
Jon, put things in perspective. You will never see 69 entries in TF again. It's just a different world, and the pro classes have evolved to a point where it's beyond the scope of a few buddies combining resources to field a TF car. Every class is expensive, but the pro classes are on another level. These are the quickest and fastest machines on the planet, so they're not expected to be cheap. I think in 1975 Indy had around 100 entries for Pro Comp, the precursor to the alky classes. But back then, very few teams even had aluminum blocks. Having said all that, I'm excited for the car counts for Indy, especially given what we've been through for the past couple of years, and the worsening parts availabilty issue.

in a perfect world, it would be nice to hold 3 or 4 majors every year where the fields are not limited (like indy), but all the other nat. events would have some
sort of policy between nhra and the racers that would bring 16 car fields to all the events.......no extras. you show, you Q, you race. you get paid.

Jon, put things in perspective. You will never see 69 entries in TF again. It's just a different world, and the pro classes have evolved to a point where it's beyond the scope of a few buddies combining resources to field a TF car. Every class is expensive, but the pro classes are on another level. These are the quickest and fastest machines on the planet, so they're not expected to be cheap. I think in 1975 Indy had around 100 entries for Pro Comp, the precursor to the alky classes. But back then, very few teams even had aluminum blocks. Having said all that, I'm excited for the car counts for Indy, especially given what we've been through for the past couple of years, and the worsening parts availabilty issue.

Hi Nunzio:

Of course, I am well aware we can't compare Fuel car counts today to the car counts of the 1970's. It is fun to compare though. With today's extreme inflation - highest in over 40 years - travel costs and parts costs are higher than ever, so we are damn lucky we have full fields across the board.

Also, back in 75 a fuel crew consisted of the driver that actually got dirty and maybe 2-3 others, paid or volunteers.
Compare that today's crew. I'd like to hear what the midlevel team's budget for just a crew today.

Also, back in 75 a fuel crew consisted of the driver that actually got dirty and maybe 2-3 others, paid or volunteers.
Compare that today's crew. I'd like to hear what the midlevel team's budget for just a crew today.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see someone with a team like that come out and be competitive today? Innovation at it's finest.

Jon, can you count how many NHRA caliber funny cars there are in the country? Geographically the independent teams are based well outside a reasonable range of Indy (i.e., CA/FL) while others may be "NHRA legal", but haven't figured out a combination. With the cost of fuel racing today, its not worth it for most independents. to make the trek or take the chance. The independent teams that do not have these issues are entered for Indy.

Top Fuel, I would argue differently. Most of the independent fuel teams are based within a reasonable town to Indy and from past races, seem to have a combo that could get them qualified. Again, cost plays a huge role.

I am stunned there are 25 fuelers at the Big Go....but maybe we are healthier than we think :)

Jon, can you count how many NHRA caliber funny cars there are in the country? Geographically the independent teams are based well outside a reasonable range of Indy (i.e., CA/FL) while others may be "NHRA legal", but haven't figured out a combination. With the cost of fuel racing today, its not worth it for most independents. to make the trek or take the chance. The independent teams that do not have these issues are entered for Indy.

Top Fuel, I would argue differently. Most of the independent fuel teams are based within a reasonable town to Indy and from past races, seem to have a combo that could get them qualified. Again, cost plays a huge role.

I am stunned there are 25 fuelers at the Big Go....but maybe we are healthier than we think :)
I was a little surprised that Mike McIntyre was not entered for Indy.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back