Indy Car Tragedy (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
Indy Car, racing today in las Vegas, had a terrible crash on the 11th lap today.
Dan Wheldon, 2 time Indy winner, unfortunately was killed.
This brings all our recent controversies into perspective, it doesn't really matter right now.
We pray for Dan's family.
RIP

:( Very sad. :(

Dan was one of those guys that you knew immediately was a good guy. A good, good, good guy.

Like I said the other day, I follow Indycar close and was looking forward to a great event. Never thought such a good dude would be taken from us.
Dan is a champion.

Last edited:
This is a major loss for Indy car racing and motorsports overall.

Dan was a good guy, a tough competitor and a true racer and really embodied a positive image of both Indy racing and auto racing as a whole.

He also was a man of good character, he turned down an offer to leave Indy cars and race in Formula 1 to finish out the contract he already had in place with Ganassi racing.

Against tough odds he won the 2011 Indy 500 for Brian Herta racing, one of the few "little guy" teams to win the 500 in the modern era.

Rest In Peace Dan

This is a major loss for Indy car racing and motorsports overall.

Dan was a good guy, a tough competitor and a true racer and really embodied a positive image of both Indy racing and auto racing as a whole.

He also was a man of good character, he turned down an offer to leave Indy cars and race in Formula 1 to finish out the contract he already had in place with Ganassi racing.

Against tough odds he won the 2011 Indy 500 for Brian Herta racing, one of the few "little guy" teams to win the 500 in the modern era.

Rest In Peace Dan

Nice post Paul.........RiP Dan Our prayers to his family, friends and fellow Racing Families........

I seen a shot of Don Prudhomme on the tv and he looked pretty shook up also. This is so sad. It is going to feel weird going there next week.

Last edited:
I had tickets for the race today, but flew to Orlando for business instead. For selfish reasons, I am glad I didn't go to the race now.

Hours before the race, Wheldon had signed a multi-year deal with Andretti to replace Danica Patrick. Since the Indy 500, Wheldon had done ALL of the development work on the much-anticipated 2012 Dallara new car for next season, which would have given him a tremendous leg up on the competition. 2012 was shaping up to be a great year for Dan Wheldon. His second child was just born in March of this year. My heart breaks for his wife and 2 kids.

If anyone went to the race today, LVMS is giving a full refund for all tickets, see Las Vegas Motor Speedway for details.

And as a minor, nee insignificant point of clarification from earlier in the thread, it was easy for Dan to turn down BMW-Sauber's F1 offer in 2006, as it was to be the team's 3rd driver, not an actual race seat ... so staying with Chip Ganassi and getting paid to race was a no-brainer.

Lastly, the thing I will remember most about Dan Wheldon is how LOVED America, and did everything he could to "Americanize" himself. He was British to the core, but loved living here and was always grateful for all of the opportunities that America presented to him. And what a great smile. Another one gone too soon. RIP.

Very sad news. Dan was due to race here in Australia next weekend for one of the leading touring car teams. His talents for being a great driver were recognized all over. May he rest in peace. Thoughts and prayers to his wife, kids and family.

The 5 lap tribute was one of the saddest things I have ever seen at a race track. Marty Reid and the ABC crew did a fantastic job and was very classy. I still can't believe that happened.

The 5 lap tribute was one of the saddest things I have ever seen at a race track.

Those 5 laps were very tough to watch. The silence apart from the bagpipes in the background made it impossible to keep a dry eye.

Waiting for the inevitable news to come through was agonizing.

RIP Dan

Last edited:
10-4!!! Maybe some of Snake's love of IndyCars did rub off on Larry!!!

Just got done watching our race & I think someone else brought it up around the semi's. Tony Schu maybe?

Must give props to Paul Page for his coments @ the begining & end of the show!!!

RIP Dan

Yes, it was Tony. And also agree, Paul Page showed compassion and class with his words. Very sad day.

I was on the verge of tears watching the events unfold. I completely lost it with Marty Reid's final tribute.

..."Many people ask me why I always sign off, 'till me meet again'. Because goodbye is always so final. Goodbye Dan Wheldon." Marty Reid, ESPN

Rest in peace, Dan, the racing world will miss you terribly.

Ice cream for all of our Indy Car brothers and sisters today...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back