Indy 10 years later! (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
Wow.......It's hard to believe it's been 10 years since we lost 2 of Drag racing's most notable competitors. I'll never forget that weekend the rest of my life! The day Blaine was killed, I was wearing a shirt he had signed at Sonoma which was his last win. AS they backed him out of his pits to tow to the lanes on that run, I saw him sitting in the car waiting for the Tow vehicle to back out. I walked over and just asked what he thought the track would hold, Blaine said they were shooting for a mid 4.60. I said Good luck, he said Thanks as they pulled away! When his crash actually happened, like others you always think.......He'll climb out! But when I looked near the Starting line I saw his Sister and Mother Crying Profusely as they walked toward the Tow van. At that Point I just knew this wasn't good! All afternoon I asked various drivers and crewmembers what they heard about Blaine? Everybody told me that he was in a Coma but still breathing. That's the last I heard all afternoon as far as a Report. Later that evening I was at the Hooters downtown and 3 people saw my shirt and asked if Blaine had signed it that day. I told them no of course, about 10 minutes later one of those guys came back and told me he heard Blaine had Died! I was in Total shock!! That's the first time anybody I had ever met and spoke to got killed at a racetrack. I just paid my bill and went back to the motel. I ended up seeing the crash on ESPN's Sportscenter and it just made it harder to accept! The next day was just as emotional, seeing a Huge Banner for fans to sign behind the Trailer with Pictures/Flowers and other gifts. And when the Johnson family arrived at the track all kinds of Drivers/Crew members and friends came by to offer condolences.

As tough as that day was, it got even Harder to bare as Elmer Trett was Killed! Elmer Trett was the "Don Garlits" of TF Bike racing I had always heard of Elmo as bikers called him, I went by his Pit and Met his daughter Gina. My first impression of Elmer was that he didn't look like a Bike racer. You get those stereotypes about how Bike Drag racers look. Elmer didn't fit that stereotype by any means. Anyway less than 2 weeks earlier Elmer had run the Quickest and Fastest Fuel bike pass at Indy during the Prostar race with a 6.05@235 so I was anxious to see him run. On his fatefull pass it looked like Elmer simply fell of the back of his bike near the Finishline. His bike ran a 6.18@232, and seeing that Happen given what had taken place the Day before I just thought "This can't be happening!" To this day I never heard what caused Elmer to fall off his bike like he did!

I can't believe this has been 10 years already, I pray I don't ever witness a Weekend of Drag racing like that ever again!

Last edited:
Joe,

I had heard that Elmer had a heart attack that caused him to sit up and be blown off the bike, whether it is true or not don't know.

That weekend certainly did put a big dent in our sport, and like everyone, I hope we never have to sit through it again.

Cheers,

Paul

Joe, I was still commercial salmon fishing in Alaska back then, and living in Ventura, when I flew into LAX a couple days before Blaines accident. Lisa and I were seriously considering flying to Indy that weekend, instead we holed up at the Shutters in Santa Monica for a week and that`s where I saw the news clip of his wreck. That`s one race I`m glad I never made. I`m glad I was at Pomona to see him win the `95 Finals, and then win the `96 Winters, that`s how I`ll always remember him!

Blaine was prolly one of the best out there,I remember that night very much,as i just got home from cruisin with some friends,it was sad,I heard he dies from severe head and leg trauma.

I'll never forget the Purdue Glee Club singing Amazing Grace before the first round of Top Fuel, and then a young man driving in his first ever US Nats, and was supposed to race Blaine in the first round came to the line, staged, launched hard, then coasted through the lights. I doubt there was a dry eye in the place. Of course, you know, that young man was Tony Schumacher. I can only imagine the emotions he must have borne that day.

On his fatefull pass it looked like Elmer simply fell of the back of his bike near the Finishline. His bike ran a 6.18@232, and seeing that Happen given what had taken place the Day before I just thought "This can't be happening!" To this day I never heard what caused Elmer to fall off his bike like he did!

I can't believe this has been 10 years already, I pray I don't ever witness a Weekend of Drag racing like that ever again!

Elmer was my best friend and I am glad I wasn't there. I had a bad feeling after hearing about Blaine, and almost call him and asked him to just go home. I knew he wouldn't, so I didn't call. Wish I had anyway.

As to why he came off, this is what we think it was.
Just before the finish line, he would take his feet off the rear pegs and hook them behind the pegs to help keep him from going over the bars as the bike was stopping.

Top fuel bikes have two hand brakes. One side for the front and the other for the rear. After the pass, he would open his hands to grab the brakes. Finish line witnesses say that it appeared that wind got under the left hand and arm, lifting it up. He would then be sliding back off the bike and can't use his feet to help as they are behind the pegs. By holding on with only the right hand, he was turning the bike into the wall.

I have a feeling he just decided to let go and take his chances on the pavement. The bike was now down under 200 mph. Spiderman had been off at 215 and only broke a collar bone.

If there had not been the opening in the wall, I think both of them would still be with us today.

Jay

It is hard to believe it has been ten years. I was there, along with my dad and uncle, and several friends. Blaine was our favorite driver, having followed him from the alky days. We were sitting in the Top Eliminator seats, so we were as far away as you could get, but we knew it didn't feel right after the accident. Yet, we were optimistic. Later that night, we were out at a restaurant, and I happened to look up at the TV, and saw a picture of Blaine with the year he was born and 1996, at the same time the sportscaster was saying how something "had gone terribly wrong". We were speechless, and I'll never forget that moment. Then to see Elmer lose his life the next day, well like it's been said, I pray we never have a weekend like that again.

Elmer was my best friend and I am glad I wasn't there. I had a bad feeling after hearing about Blaine, and almost call him and asked him to just go home. I knew he wouldn't, so I didn't call. Wish I had anyway.

As to why he came off, this is what we think it was.
Just before the finish line, he would take his feet off the rear pegs and hook them behind the pegs to help keep him from going over the bars as the bike was stopping.

Top fuel bikes have two hand brakes. One side for the front and the other for the rear. After the pass, he would open his hands to grab the brakes. Finish line witnesses say that it appeared that wind got under the left hand and arm, lifting it up. He would then be sliding back off the bike and can't use his feet to help as they are behind the pegs. By holding on with only the right hand, he was turning the bike into the wall.

I have a feeling he just decided to let go and take his chances on the pavement. The bike was now down under 200 mph. Spiderman had been off at 215 and only broke a collar bone.

If there had not been the opening in the wall, I think both of them would still be with us today.

Jay

Jay, I did remember some people saying they saw Elmer pumping a Fist as he went through the lights. I didn't believe that for a second, Bike racers going over 200 MPH aren't that stupid! What I do remember is when he came off the bike, his Body did go into a slide almost in the Path of Larry Mcbride I might add. What killed him was those wooden Guardrail Posts Indy had before the Walls, his legs caught those and his Body was turned into a Ragdoll Literally! After the Final rounds on Monday I walked the track along with several fans, a Bunch of fans walked the shutdown area looking at Impact marks. I did find the spot where Elmer's body came to a stop, it was around 1000' ft past the Finishline!

Blaine was mine favorite as well. Kym, his wife were friends and used to e-mail each other a lot but haven't heard from her in a couple years.

She used to tell me stories about Blaine racing. Sweet lady, I miss her too!

wow, ya took me back in time to that awful moment....I remember many of us here in town being in stunned shock. It was headline news here of course. There's definitely a hollow spot where he used to be. Surley they would have gone on to dominate T/F.
Well, most of the tracks have eliminated the openings in walls because of that accident.
Here in town, there is a little eatery that serves their version of philly cheesesteak sandwhiches. It's called "Lido's" It used to be owned and operated by a nice older couple, however the gentleman passed away and the lady ran it for a awhile. They have a wall with pictures and things as tribute to Blaine.

blaine3.jpg

blaine2.jpg

blaine1.jpg

That one ^ is my favorite.
Not quite sure what the connection is, but looks like one of the winston crew guys is featured a couple of times. Real tall skinny guy, with glasses. Some of the inscriptions say "To Danny...."
The Johnson's shop is down the street aways.
On the old 'mater a couple of the old winston crew guys stumbled across each other, I forget the names tho.

I also remember the family standing on the starting line the next day and they all pointed to the sky. Really sad.

Anyways, the lady sold the place to this really young couple and they have kept the wall/tribute in tact.
Thought I would share with you guys.

Last edited:
I will never forget that night as I watched the 11:00 news and they showed the crash and said Blaine had passed. It was a numbing experience much like when you lose someone close to you. RIP Blaine, you will never be forgotten.

"If there had not been the opening in the wall, I think both of them would still be with us today"

Couldn't agree more! Especially the Top Fuel car. More likely than not, he would have got into the old Armco rails and just scrubbed off the speed. I think Kenny Bernstein knew how special Blaine was. It was five races before Kenny overtook Blaine in the points. Even though he won the championship, he knew the reason why and that's why I think he presented the World Championship trophy to the Johnson's at the award ceremony. That showed a lot of class.

Late.....................Mitch

I was in the TE Club tent on Sunday when the announcement went out that Elmer Trett was coming to the line to make a pass. I told the rest of the guys that I really wanted to see that pass. Got to my seat just as Elmer was staging. Then came the worst thing that I have ever witnessed at a race. Just seeing Elmer rise up off of the bike, hit the pavement, and start rolling and tumbling was just unbelievable. And remember that the incident was never replayed on the Winston vision or television. It was that bad.

And remember that the incident was never replayed on the Winston vision or television. It was that bad.

Johnny Moto was doing the Winston vision at that race, he said it would NEVER been shown for obvious reasons! Anytime there's a crash, they won't show a highlight unless it's confirmed the drivers ok.

I hear all of it, Joe.

It was the most devastating day in drag racing..IMO.

There have been many..don't get me wrong..they all hurt.

Shelly's..my God..how worse could it get!!

All one can hope for is the powers that be..see something that can be fixed..and fix the damn thing..if possible

That's some good stuff Joe..and you're not alone out there..which ever orbit it may be..hehe.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back