Imagine if this rolled out of a trailer today. (1 Viewer)

Just Paul

Nitro Member
This is a great shot of Tim Grose in 1986. Tim ran this set up only one time that I recall, and you don't see many pics of it. A guy buy the name of Jeff Wyss posted this on one of the funny car groups I belong to on Facebook. There are hundreds of photos a week posted in different groups, but this one just stood out to me. It's from my favorite era in drag racing, and I always liked Tim Grose growing up. Just thought I'd share it.
timgrose.jpg

Last edited:
The main reason for those headers is that he wanted to try front, and side skirts that dragged the ground (like the Indy cars had at that time) to help with down force. Then he thought that the headers killed the performance of the car because of the amount of bend in the headers so he abandoned the skirt idea.

I always loved Tim Grose. Tim was always trying something. A personal favorite was the "sneaker" car as they called it. It was so low to the ground, it looked like a tennis shoe. He figured the lower profile would lessen the drag at speed. If this was run today, you could forget the Friday night session. There's very little one could see out that window with two bright flames shooting through the hood. Like driving into a tunnel on a bright day. The first few seconds you really can't see much of anything. Tim would probably drive it though. 1986 Winternationals, the sun had dipped below the hill, and the light was fading fast. They had rolled out a few generators with lights attached, but I tell you, it was about as dark as it could get without calling the race. (the video of the final doesn't give you any indication of just how dark it really was). Apparently, his goggles fogged up, and he pulled them down at the top end because he couldn't see anything. He beat Force in the dark. Wild final.

One of Tim's Skoal Funny Car's is on display at the Curb Motorsports Museum in Kannpolis, NC. It's located at 600 Dale Earnhardt Blvd. The entire museum is worth the visit if you are coming to ZMax Dragway this spring. I do not believe it is open on weekends. Just M-F. You can search the net for Curb Motorsports Museum and find all the info. 20 minutes max drive from Bruton-ville!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back