IHRA SPRING NATIONALS @ THe ROCK... (1 Viewer)

jackass

Nitro Member
Just a couple weeks away.. who all is coming racers and fans?..

i will be there manning an IMDRA (r/c drags) booth to promote the IMDRA SPRING nats for the r/c cars the first week in May.... stop by and say hello....

Billy

I am coming!! Im very excited to go to my first IHRA race! Im looking for suggestions on accomidations and other things to see/do in the area, we will only be going to be there on Saturday. We are hoping to find accomidations that are on water, a river or lake and dont mind driving a distance to get that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
hmmm.. on water...lol.. not sure.. Closest Lake area would be.. there is a golf resort gated comunity north of Rockingham in Vass.. they use to have Condos for rent a while back.. not sure about now....Place is called "Wood Lake".. you cna check with Southern Pines Tourism .. they have tons fo Golf course resorts listed .. one might have a lake with condos or rooms on them...

Also what are you looking to do....? what sights do you want...? Mooresville and Charolotte are about 1 1/2 hrs away with all the cup teams and museums... adn the beach is couple hours away also....

oh and can't forget south of the border....lol. great tourist trap for all ages...lol.. key word trap....lol...

Either way i would recomend staying in southern pines... better rooms and resturant selections....but make reservations asap.... Rooms fill up quick whe nthe races are in Rockingham and the normal Golf tourists come to town.... tons of golf courses to hit (Southern Pines is 20mins north of the Strip)

Billy

Thank you for the info. We are going to have to go to Myrtle Beach I guess, after mapquesting the area, theres no lakes or rivers around! I guess I am use to the TN area where there is a lake or river stream or brook in every yard just about !! Would you happen to venture a guess of how late Saturdays qualifying will go?
Im not really sure what we are hoping to find on the other day we will be in NC. Odd places to see, touristy type cave tours, places such as Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are where we went the last two years. Thats where I got the "on the water" from, both of our hotel/motels were on cute rivers, The Zoder Inn I guess theres only one, and I want one in every town we visit!

Last edited:
Usualy saturday night is over by 10pm or 11 at the latest.. depends on down time...

IN the opposite direction of the beach is Biltmore Estates (sp) in Ashville NC... realy cool area to go to...up in the Mtns.. right on 40.. do a search for them... tons of little mines and gold and gems tourist stops up in the Mtns around there also.... Localy just inside the Richmond Coutny area is the Town Creek Indian Mound.. its an old Indian village that was excavated long ago.. and has been rebuilt and has a decent little museum....
Fayetteville NC has the Army ..Airbourne Museum... which is a fun time to see all the military items on display....

they are around.. most of us take them for granted and forget about them....

Billy

6 days... 11 hours and counting.....lol... i cant wait...

Long range forcast is for sunny and the mid to uper 70's..... looking good weather wise....

Billy

Last edited:
Yep... the Barn is the best in SP.. but if you are in Rockingham i can send you to the best Steak house here.. the Little Bo Club.... The last 6 races won at the Cup track.. the drivers ate at the "LBC"...the night before....lol

Bobby allison started the trend in the 80's... and he tok Robert Yates and Davey there and they won that weekend at Rockingham...lol... RObert made the team eat there every race.... first time he got Dale Jarret to go.. he won at Rockingham..... might be some thing to it....:D

Dale if i don't get to talk to you at the race good luck....

Billy

Im so glad to see about the weather report! I cant belive we are the only three on this message board going to this race. Im really excited about going to my first IHRA event. Just getting ready to head up to Speedworld in Suprise AZ to go to the Standard 1320 nostalgia drags.

Suzanne.... this is mostly a NHRA site it seems.. and i would still bet a few more will be coming....lol..

i guess they treat the IHRA with the "Moped therory".. you know don't mind riding one but don't want your friends to know about it...lol

Oh .. don't know why i left this out to you also.... plenty of grear race shops and museums in the Mooresville Charlotte area.. most are oval.. but several drag shops are up that way also.... KB racing for one is there.. not sure if they will be back from Vegas by the time you roll thru or not... they are over at the Mooresville Airport area.. near the drag stip...

See you here..

Billy

Last edited:
Just saw on the IHRA web site that Jon Capps will be here this weekend...

Rumor also has Jeter in the PS class as well....

Billy

toward Rockingham.. acouple turns but easy to find.. think till 10pm..

i can check for ya...if ya like.. most racers usualy go for thursday night to eat...

besides a great steak.. you get a heck of a salad bar.... and soup.. two kinds your choice.. but when was the last tiem a place gave you your own tongs you use all the way down the line.. you take them with you....lol...

Billy

Last edited:
Please do Billy we have a hard time eating in Rockingham late nite. The Huddle house is about the only place.:(

regretfully yes... i hate it... i just moved back here from Atlanta.. and its a big re-adjustment..... there is a new FATZ reasturant.. think they are 11pm on friday and saturdays..

Billy

ok weather has changed a bit... highs in the upper 60's and the lower 70's.. but sitll SUNNY!!!! low air temp.. and high track temps from the sun.. this should be a good one...

brign a coat for the night time shows.. might get to the mid to lowr 50's...bbrrrrr.... but stll good to go....

Billy

Rick Green and I will be there for FastNews, hopefully we won't have a lot of time to go wandering around...weather looks great!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back