IHRA changing to 1/8th mile in 2008? (1 Viewer)

I actually don't think it is a bad idea. It would definitely give them differentiation from other sanctioning bodies, and would help reduce costs, as most parts breakage occurs on the big end. But it would do nothing for their "minor league" image ...

I'm not sure that it would reduce cost. Wouldn't they just make the wick shorter?

Re: IHRA changing to 1/8th mile in 2008 ???

PJ,

No one's getting high and mighty here. I suppose I'd take 18% 1/8 mile as opposed to an 18% cancellation rate. If you had asked me before the season, I probably would have told you that nothing is out of the question, but I would not have been able to predict it...that's for sure.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get weird." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Brian

Didn't mean it as a slam more ironicly funny....I'm going on no cafeine today brain is not fully functional

why are there two ongoing threads for this same subject? :confused:

just realized it, I kept wondering why I couldn't see my previous comments. I'm a little slow today

Thats it screw trying to be healthy, I'm merging the threads and kickin back with some Mt Dew.....mmmmmmm caffeine

There has been some discussion about running a few IHRA National events at 1/8th mile tracks, but I can't see the whole series going 1/8th mile.

I can't see 1/8 mile racing going over well in New England, I also doubt this is going to happen for the full series. Back in the 90's IHRA used to have 2 types of National events, One featured full classes and one did not have Nitro cars, I can see them resurecting a few of the non nitro events to be held at 1/8 mile tracks. Might also tie in with rumors they are dropping the Alky FC's, might limit their participation to the smaller events.

Might also tie in with rumors they are dropping the Alky FC's, might limit their participation to the smaller events.
Where do people come up with this stuff?? I guess I'm just not that creative!

I must say it is the longest thread in the IHRA section of Nitro Mater... that I can ever remember anyway...

I've got one I'll go start a thread on...

Well it look like the 2008 schedule starts out with an eighth mile event in San Antonio. Not sure whether this is testing the waters or if there are still problems with that track. I would think it would not be scheduled like this without the track owners knowledge and consent. Also looking like Pittsburg will be added to the 2009 schedule as a 1/8 mile event also. Guess we will have to see how this all pans out.

Well they just lost about 5 tickets that I know of b/c none of my family is going now. I dont mind watching pro mod, pro stock, etc on a 1/8th mile but top fuel and funny car I want no part of 1/8th mile. Its like they hit the gas and its over.

First time on but this topic deserves a response. i've been addicted to drag racing since 73 and there is no way i'm wasting my money to see a 1/8 mile race. I attended last year's abbreviated race in San Antonio and for those pure racing fanatics it was pathetic. Funny thing, those first timers in the stands loved it. maybe the IHRA can promote it but I'll be in Houston and Dallas(NHRA) instead, or at least until clearer heads prevail.

San Antonio Raceway was built as a track for bracket racing, so the shutdown is too short for fuel cars going over 300mph (kinda like nhra's national trail raceway in Columbus, no chutes and your out of luck) , that's the main reason that SAR is going to be run 1/8th mile. SAR is my home track BTW, I've been racing there since it opened, and I know the track owners real well. The track wasn't built with 300+ mph cars in mind, but Live Nation (Clear Channel Communications) wanted a race in it's home town of San Antonio. Hope this answers your questions.

There was a thread somewhere and the topic turned to the various distances that organized drag races have been run in and there were all sorts of fractions and foot lengths.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back