IHRA changing to 1/8th mile in 2008? (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
I just heard from a very reliable source that the IHRA is considering making all of their national events 1/8th mile races in 2008.

Just wondering, if they're only going to have half races will they chop ticket prices and entry fees in half?

I just heard from a very reliable source that the IHRA is considering making all of their national events 1/8th mile races in 2008.

Just wondering, if they're only going to have half races will they chop ticket prices and entry fees in half?

By distance it is half the race, but by time it is more like two thirds of a race...:)

Yuck. They could call it arena drag racing then

Re: IHRA changing to 1/8th mile in 2008 ???

I'd say ... find a new source :)

I don't have any sources period but just can't see it. Interesting that this just comes up after the problems in Toronto though. I'd say it comes from that other than any real talk about it from IHRA.

I sure can't see that going over real well for the Edmonton race. Nothing against 1/8 mile but its never been done here. Western Canada really is full of drag racing die-hards and a decision like this just won't go over well, can't see it happening. Even myself, not sure if I want to do the 1000 mile round trip to watch an 1/8th mile national event and I'm pretty die-hard.

Jason Blair was the guy who wrote for the NY Times and was discovered to have made up a lot of the stories that had his byline. Hence the question.

A total 1/8 mile series next season? Check www.notgonnahappen.com for more details.

Brian

As one of the IHRA National event announcers I have a pretty good working knowledge of the series. I wouldn't expect to see a complete 1/8 mile drag racing series next season.

For the record, I have been a highly unsuccessful bracket racer. So I guess that means I'm in right?

Brian

For the record, I have been a highly unsuccessful bracket racer. So I guess that means I'm in right?

Brian

Is this question for me? If so, I don't understand.

My response is because I would not be discussing anything about drag racing with any one other then racing people.

No worries...I misunderstood your statement.

I was making the Jason Blair reference as a goof, meaning that your source may have been in a creative mood when passing along the information.

Brian

I wouldn't like 1/8 mile races...but at least its not a countdown:D

Hey Brian I wouldn't get too all high and mighty, If we had asked you before this season if ihra would have 2 1/8 mile what would you have said then??? Heck your 18% of the way to having an all 1/8 mile series::D

No worries...I misunderstood your statement.

I was making the Jason Blair reference as a goof, meaning that your source may have been in a creative mood when passing along the information.

Brian

And I actually just remembered who Jason Blair is! HA! :p;)

I wouldn't like 1/8 mile races...but at least its not a countdown:D

Couldn't agree more PJ..... I didn't like the countdown in theory at the beginning of the year, and I'm liking it less as we are in it.

I can't imagine what the casual fan is going through trying to understand what the heck is going on. :(

PJ,

No one's getting high and mighty here. I suppose I'd take 18% 1/8 mile as opposed to an 18% cancellation rate. If you had asked me before the season, I probably would have told you that nothing is out of the question, but I would not have been able to predict it...that's for sure.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get weird." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Brian

At least IHRA has the ****s to make a decision on the fly.

Yeah...I was a little freaked out to change our game plan in the middle of a race....but, hey it just makes you a better racer.

What happened in Cayuga...and what happened in San Antonio....are two totally different situations.

One or two 1/8 mile races next year....maybe....at 1/8 mile tracks. I can certainly see that. Give fans in those areas a show they may not otheriwse get to see at all...because they don't have a 1/4 mile track in their area. Why not? New metro areas to expose our brand of drag racing to a new demographic of fans. There are some primo 1/8 mile tracks....that would be awesome to run a national event at. Why not continue to build the sport if we can?

All 1/8 mile....I'm not buying it.

With that said, here is something that I posted on another board about this past weekend:

I'm very glad to be writing this post...........from home....and not still at some track somewhere trying to finish a race for the 4th day in a row.

We're safe....cars are in one piece...and we don't have to make an extra trip anywhere that we hadn't planned on.

Thanks IHRA.
:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back